Bracketology - Let's Do This

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
That'll give 'Cuse their first quad 1 win. They beat NET top 75 NC State on the road (assuming NC State rises from their current position of #81).

And with North Carolina taking a L, Saturday is likely 'Cuse's last opportunity for a quad 1 win before the ACCT. We'll likely take their best shot.
Either way you win and lose Cuse.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
If we lose to them, it might effectively be a lose lose. This year GT seems to be my only hope at March happiness.

It's generally accepted that watching a full season of two non-NCAAT teams is a leading indicator of mental health issues.
I see. Having Syracuse has prevented you from becoming numb to the feeling of not making the NCAAT like the rest of us Tech fans. lol

Hopefully they both make it in, we need your sanity here.

JacketMicMan

Georgia Tech Fan
I was there also. My GT Alum friend and I cut a night class at Ga State. We grabbed a six pack on the way and scored some center court seats. This game was more like a football game. Bruce Dalrymple took over the game. Freshman center James Mad Dog Munlyn got into some extra curricular with a backup Duke center named Nessley. It cleared the benches. The Tech crowd was going nuts! Even Coach K looked like he wanted to get the heck out of dodge.
Mad Dog was the best on campus. Remember him showing EVERYONE his final four ring during a football game.

Deleted member 2897

I’m numb to all the Quad 1 this and Quad 1 that. Our NET is 36 in that system which supposedly matters yet most people don’t have us in the tournament. We have to figure out what the metrics are that matter at some point. Of course it would help if they told people...or at least didn’t lie about it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Warren Nolan has us at 3-4 in Q1 and 2-2 in Q2 right now with 2, maybe 3 Q2 games to go. I think our Q1 record stacks up really good.

You're looking at RPI instead of NET there.

I’m numb to all the Quad 1 this and Quad 1 that. Our NET is 36 in that system which supposedly matters yet most people don’t have us in the tournament.

Because it's one factor, not the only one. Two years ago both Clemson and NCSU were left out with NET rankings of 35 and 33 respectively. That's why people are talking about Q1 wins in particular because its the clear weakest part of our resume that can still change.

Deleted member 2897

Because it's one factor, not the only one. Two years ago both Clemson and NCSU were left out with NET rankings of 35 and 33 respectively. That's why people are talking about Q1 wins in particular because its the clear weakest part of our resume that can still change.

But even that doesn’t make sense. As of last weekend, North Carolina had consistently been in peoples brackets for a long time, and their Q1 record was exactly the same as ours at 1-6. Other teams with significantly higher seeds were winless in Q1. A team with a 5 seed was 3-7. 🤷‍♂️

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
SOS, sheer number of wins is helping some teams in brackets but who knows what the committee does. Before last night UNC was 7-7 in Q1/Q2 games and 5-0 in Q3 , whereas we had 2 Q3 losses. Q3/Q4 wins pretty much do nothing but the losses are rough. UNC is gonna drop big from that Q3 loss last night but still that’s one less Q3 loss than we have and Marquette is 100 vs ours at 138/118. UNC is above us in the ACC standings. And as much as no one wants to hear it, the prediction brackets are 100% providing a blue blood factor. Saw a tweet where some guy admitted as much when related to UNC.

People are doing brackets as they’ve always done them and in this covid season we could see more surprises than were used to selection Sunday bc of that since the committee may take into account COVID pauses.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

our Q1 is definitely in the needs improvements category but the Q1/Q2 record is decent. I think the area that kills us is the glaring Q3 losses( need ga state to finish strong bc they’re close to a Q4 loss)

looking at the games we missed due to Covid scheduling our resume could be so much better. UAB/NC state both Q2 and i think we would win those. @ ND Q1 that I think we would have won. @ UL Q1, I think we would still have lost but by less than 10 which would help NET

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Update on our rankings (02/25).

kenpom: 33 (prev. 32)
NET: 38 (prev. 36)
Sagarin: 40 (prev. 47)
bracketmatrix: We're on 20 (prev. 7) out of 116 (prev. 120) brackets as an 11.45 avg. seed (prev. 11.57) (these lag quite a bit unlike the above)

Deleted member 2897

our Q1 is definitely in the needs improvements category but the Q1/Q2 record is decent. I think the area that kills us is the glaring Q3 losses( need ga state to finish strong bc they’re close to a Q4 loss)

looking at the games we missed due to Covid scheduling our resume could be so much better. UAB/NC state both Q2 and i think we would win those. @ ND Q1 that I think we would have won. @ UL Q1, I think we would still have lost but by less than 10 which would help NET

And 2 wins against BC. The eyeball test of win/loss record that you know matters to people would have us at maybe something like 16-9 instead of 12-8. That matters. Syracuse is the perfect example - they’ve played 9 games against the bottom of the ACC whereas we’ve played 3. Ridiculous uneven playing field.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Usually NET rankings update ~2 am. Today it wasn't until ~8 am. I don't know if it's cause of the large number of unexpected game results from yesterday, but was interesting to see.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Update on our rankings (02/25).

kenpom: 33 (prev. 32)
NET: 38 (prev. 36)
Sagarin: 40 (prev. 47)
bracketmatrix: We're on 20 (prev. 7) out of 116 (prev. 120) brackets as an 11.45 avg. seed (prev. 11.57) (these lag quite a bit unlike the above)

Thought we might drop further bc of UNC plummeting but not bad at all. Clemson replaced UNC and should win out. If they win all games by 10+ they could sneak us a Q1 win.