Bracketology - Let's Do This

Deleted member 2897

So, if I read Lunardi right, it will come down to who wins the GT-Duke game in terms of who jumps up into the “Who’s In“ list.

If a team in the top 35 can’t make the top 64, something is wrong. Finishing 2-1 will keep us in there. These people are insane - how are they rating teams?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So, if I read Lunardi right, it will come down to who wins the GT-Duke game in terms of who jumps up into the “Who’s In“ list.
For what it’s worth, he clearly stated that Monday’s Syracuse vs Duke game, two teams in his “Next Four Out” at the time, was a “play out” game.

Bottom line, I think if we keep winning the games we should we will be in.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If a team in the top 35 can’t make the top 64, something is wrong. Finishing 2-1 will keep us in there. These people are insane - how are they rating teams?
Welcome to premature bubble talk and projections, meant for entertainment value and not to be taken too seriously at this point in the season.

As the poster mentioned, timing is an issue. I’d bet fewer than 5% updated their projections after last night’s game. That may be generous too.

Also keep in mind the NCAAT is not the 64 best teams. Auto-qualifiers from conferences bring the real number of “best teams” down to the 40s. After last night we will be fine if we just take care of own business.

Deleted member 2897

Welcome to premature bubble talk and projections, meant for entertainment value and not to be taken too seriously at this point in the season.

As the poster mentioned, timing is an issue. I’d bet fewer than 5% updated their projections after last night’s game. That may be generous too.

Also keep in mind the NCAAT is not the 64 best teams. Auto-qualifiers from conferences bring the real number of “best teams” down to the 40s. After last night we will be fine if we just take care of own business.

Yup. Finishing 4-1 was a tough call, but we beat Miami and made it a 3-1 finish needed. Then we beat Virginia Tech, so now we need a 2-1 finish. But there’s still Duke who has 8 5-star players and Syracuse is no slouch. Wake’s even won 3 times, including once over a decent Pittsburgh team. Just keep winning and pushing out that available loss baby!

crut

Helluva Engineer
Someone give me the argument for why Minnesota should be in over GT right now? I see GT has a better:

-record
-NET
-KenPom
-Sangrin
-standing within conference
-Quad 1 record

Minnesota's RPI is 3 spots higher

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This teams mindset is at peak confidence level right now, and they’re all extremely locked in. They’re now playing for each other and treating each game as a tournament game.

Thats a very powerful thing for any team or unit, and it will give some extra juice down the stretch. What’s our conference record at home over the last 12-13 games? Something like 12-1 (lost to UVA).

I’ve definitely got my gold colored glasses on, but I agree with Jose and Moses - I don’t see them losing again in the regular season.

This team is on a mission!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't take bubble talk all that seriously at the moment this year. It's fun, but I don't think anyone, including usually fairly reliable talking heads, have a great handle on exactly how the committee will handle the situation this year. I do think the committee will somewhat try to adjust for the effects covid has played on teams, but how exactly that will work is a mystery as far as I can tell.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
This teams mindset is at peak confidence level right now, and they’re all extremely locked in. They’re now playing for each other and treating each game as a tournament game.

Thats a very powerful thing for any team or unit, and it will give some extra juice down the stretch. What’s our conference record at home over the last 12-13 games? Something like 12-1 (lost to UVA).

I’ve definitely got my gold colored glasses on, but I agree with Jose and Moses - I don’t see them losing again in the regular season.

This team is on a mission!
Yea, I think this veteran team knows what’s in front of them and they looked locked in. We’ve played the toughest schedule in the acc on only let 2 games get away from us. FSU early this year and the ****ty timing of the Louisville game. I think we win out and head into GBoro hot. Syracuse is tough but we can beat them. I see no reason to think we’d lose at Wake. The Duke game next week will be huge and one of the biggest regular season games under Pastner. We’re looking like one of those teams people talk about every year during this time about getting hot at the right time! This is a dangerous team.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Honestly it’s annoying to see how they order teams in the standings. They have a 9-6 teams listed behind a 7-4 team. I mean come on man.

They base it on winning percentage. The 7-4 team is higher as a result. That's how the ACC plans to seed the ACCT.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The good news is that is at the ThrillerDome and we have been money there.

Imagine how that place would be rocking if we beat Cuse and went into that game with some momentum and looking like we were playing for a spot the NCAAT for the first time in a decade.

I was at a GT Duke game as a teen I believe in 06-07 and the place was absolutely insane.

Deleted member 2897

They base it on winning percentage. The 7-4 team is higher as a result. That's how the ACC plans to seed the ACCT.

yeah, you don’t want to make the seatings arbitrary, subjective, and a calculus exercise. But we could finish 10-7 and yet be placed behind multiple teams that are also 3 games above 0.500 but only have 9 wins, 8 wins, or even 7 wins.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Someone give me the argument for why Minnesota should be in over GT right now? I see GT has a better:

-record
-NET
-KenPom
-Sangrin
-standing within conference
-Quad 1 record

Minnesota's RPI is 3 spots higher
If they do make it, it is because everyone is drooling over the Big Ten this year. I think they are a very good conference, but that doesn't mean every team in the conference should be in.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
yeah, you don’t want to make the seatings arbitrary, subjective, and a calculus exercise. But we could finish 10-7 and yet be placed behind multiple teams that are also 3 games above 0.500 but only have 9 wins, 8 wins, or even 7 wins.
And Ohio State made the CFP. I don't know what to tell you, so I'll go with something that sums it up well...

"IIWII. Sad." - @bwelbo

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'm amazed they aren't delaying conference tourneys until games are made up. Then if that pushes out the big tourney so be it. April Madness. All games should be made up in the power 5. I don't care what Gonzaga does honestly. 🤣.