Bracketology - Let's Do This

Deleted member 2897

While I was sad to see Michigan win, you can’t really cheer for LSU...where getting caught paying players on an FBI wiretap or on national TV in the middle of the football field gets both coaches contract extensions.

Back to the Big Ten butt hurt machine, 9 freaking teams get in. Many with great seeds. 8 of the 9 teams lost in the very first weekend. #1, #2, #2, #4 all getting upset. My God what an embarrassing disaster. Kind of warms my heart.

It’s so sad that Tech and Virginia got covided- I feel like we could have won some games.

GT_EE78

Banned
sweet16 - 94 seed total sets record
"Between No. 15 seed Oral Roberts, No. 12 seed Oregon State and No. 11 seeds UCLA and Syracuse, the four double-digit seeded teams in the Sweet 16 came two shy of the NCAA Tournament record of six. But this year's field set its own record in a different way by eclipsing the highest seed total to reach this point in the tourney -- with a sum of 94 besting a long-held record of 89 that was set in 1986."

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know if Florida State is underseeded but they definitely possess the formula for winning a title. Great guard play, experience, lots of length, fantastic coach. I took them to win their region but a run to the national championship wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
Ironically, when we won the ACCT in 1993, the team we beat (UNC) won that National championship that year. Would be cool if FSU could pull it off.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That's all true, but i'm trying to stay close to what the Committee says it does.

as I said at the time we were talking about seeding I though GT deserved a 7 but would probably get an 8/9.
The Committee used to put more weight on late season and Conference Tourney's but they have basically done away with that.
They did do away with the last 10 metric but they also speak to the eyeball test - partly as a way to give them cover to move teams around - but I was hoping that the eyeball test for our play toward the end of the year would move us to that 7 slot. However, given that they were down seeding pretty much all of the ACC I guess the eyeball test didn't help much at that point. :(

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if the "down" ACC year narrative changes if 'Cuse and FSU both make the Final 4 and an ACC teams wins it all?

Gonzaga looks killer...but FSU has the length and athletes to play with anyone. If 'Cuse shoots lights out like they can, that one day turnover against their zone defense is TOUGH. Anything can happen in a tournament setting.

Deleted member 2897

Wonder if the "down" ACC year narrative changes if 'Cuse and FSU both make the Final 4 and an ACC teams wins it all?

Gonzaga looks killer...but FSU has the length and athletes to play with anyone. If 'Cuse shoots lights out like they can, that one day turnover against their zone defense is TOUGH. Anything can happen in a tournament setting.

Sometimes people who create and perpetuate narratives will never admit to it. But if the total implosion of the Big 10 and the Big 12 hasn't done it...I'd say don't count on it. This year is a pretty typical year when all is said and done. Some conferences did terrible, some did okay, and one always does extremely well. Pac12 did well this year. Sometimes its the ACC. I don't ever remember seeing such a total collapse as we did with the Big 10 this year.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Ironically, when we won the ACCT in 1993, the team we beat (UNC) won that National championship that year. Would be cool if FSU could pull it off.
I'm fine with fsu missing the final 4, hope they lose in the final 8. No final 4 for Hamilton is one less thing FSU can sell to recruits.

Last edited:

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
So, what are the mechanics behind the horrendously large seeding error and mistaken conference power ratings this year?

The Big10 and the Big12 were seeded far too high and the PAC10 was seeded far too low.

Was it simply that pre-season ranking biases were not properly corrected over the course of the season due to a truncated preseason out of conference schedule or are the ratings formulae fundamentally flawed?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So, what are the mechanics behind the horrendously large seeding error and mistaken conference power ratings this year?

The Big10 and the Big12 were seeded far too high and the PAC10 was seeded far too low.

Was it simply that pre-season ranking biases were not properly corrected over the course of the season due to a truncated preseason out of conference schedule or are the ratings formulae fundamentally flawed?

Part is feeback loops because of a lack of significant OOC overall.

Part of it is the nature of a single elimination tournament though especially as talent difference is more even across the board than in the past.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer watchin cuse and FSU advance knowin we took those guys down w a healthy Moses, but glad to see acc teams doin work.
The good news (sort of) is that the 'Cuse team playing now is better than the 'Cuse team we beat.

Night and day defensively (KYP - know your personnel) e.g., they don't fly out at bad 3-point shooters anymore, forward rotations are sharper, emergence of something from the bench, etc.

Obviously Buddy Boeheim flipped a switch offensively at a convenient point in the season, as has Girard to some extent. Why? I believe it is in large part because the team as a whole had 2 Covid pauses this season, with Buddy having a 3rd due to contact tracing. That is a ton of missed practice time that others outside-looking-in ignore/don't know about/ultimately dismiss. Maybe GT fans will have a better appreciation given what we looked like to start the year, and that was with practices, just non-contact. Both guards actually had Covid with symptoms, so when they came back in real games they were at less than full speed.

Net/net: They lost their legs and looked lethargic for much of the season... until basically March.

Also helps that San Diego State and West Virginia looked incompetent for 3 total halves offensively against the zone. But the KYP focus has been so much better and it's a change that is noticeable independent of the opponent. Their KenPom adjusted defense was in the 90's and even 100's near the end of the season. They're now #86 after two NCAAT games.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Regarding the models, the lack of out of conference games among top teams has led to the few games that were played OOC to have far much weight. Since most of those games are in Nov/Dec, the few data points to link the conferences are those early games. It isn't the fault of the model that it isn't given enough data.

Seeding was worse than the models because the committee doubled down on those early games by emphasizing out of conference games. Seeding was obviously hard this year for many reasons. They would have done a better job trusting the models more. Kenpom had Big 12 teams like Ok and Ok St with a much lower ranking than their seed, for instance. It had Loyola in the top 10. It had USC higher than Kansas before the tournament. I don't pay as much attention to NET since they don't use margin of victory.