Bracketology - Let's Do This

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Unless you're arguing for Pac-12, I don't want to hear any complaining about seeding.
Think the only complaints there would be the teams that got seeded against them. Literally the closet game from the pac-12 was the UCLA 6 point OT win over MSU. Everything else is just blowouts.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
PAC12 becomes first conference with multiple Sweet 16 teams.

Also, LSU-MI is the one game today where I will be pulling for the B10 team. I almost never pull for SEC teams and i'm certainly not pulling for a Wil Wade team.

What's sort of funny is that none of the teams in the scandal wanted to go through the regular NCAA process so they all picked going through the IARP. But the combination of COVID and all the teams going there (Kansas, AZ, LSU, Memphis, etc) have basically ground that one to a halt.

Deleted member 2897

Also, LSU-MI is the one game today where I will be pulling for the B10 team. I almost never pull for SEC teams and i'm certainly not pulling for a Wil Wade team.

What's sort of funny is that none of the teams in the scandal wanted to go through the regular NCAA process so they all picked going through the IARP. But the combination of COVID and all the teams going there (Kansas, AZ, LSU, Memphis, etc) have basically ground that one to a halt.

Can we pull for both teams being totally and completely healthy, but having to drop out due to COVID? Winner of the Florida State/Colorado just skips the next round.

GT_EE78

Banned

as slow as the NCAA investigating the NC fake class cheating scandal?

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What’s the ACC record for units in a single tournament? Think it’s like 21 and the pac-12 is on pace to break that.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Revisionist seeding complaints are pointless. It's not about how teams are doing now. 5 Big10 and 5 Big12 teams received top 4 seeds based primarily off beating each other up within their own conference. 10 of the top 16 seeds came from 2 of the P6 conferences when the only real disparity utilized was the eye test. That caused numerous other teams to be underseeded.

I do think the #1 seeds were all correct. I mainly have an issue in the 2-4 range for a few teams. And don't think for a second Texas didn't get a #3 based on last 10 and conference Championship while that was not considered for other schools.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
as slow as the NCAA investigating the NC fake class cheating scandal?
Don't forget OK State whose appeal managed to last what seems like 2 years so they could go to the tourney with one & done Cunningham this year. I believe they were written up before us.

Deleted member 2897

What’s the ACC record for units in a single tournament? Think it’s like 21 and the pac-12 is on pace to break that.

I think we had somewhere around 20 in 2016. (I don't know if that's the record or if it was that year or if 20 is the correct number.)

I think the Pac-12 has 8 units right now, so a long long way to go. It helps they have a lot of teams left, but they got shafted on seeds, so their next matchups are:
1) 6 USC vs 3 Kansas (need an upset)
2) Winner to face 7 Oregon, so 1 team will exit there regardless
3) 5 Colorado vs 4 Florida State (need an upset)
4) 11 UCLA vs 14 Abilene (winner likely to face 2 Alabama)
5) 12 Oregon State vs 8 Loyola (need an upset)

If things go by seed, the Pac-12 will go from 8 units to 9 in the next set of games and then be done. There's a long way to go. There will likely be upsets and they'll get beyond 9 units. But their seeds were so bad its all uphill at this point.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget OK State whose appeal managed to last what seems like 2 years so they could go to the tourney with one & done Cunningham this year. I believe they were written up before us.

Nope. Their NOA was about 9 months after ours. We knew about our post season ban in september of 2019. They got hit with their NOA in novemeber of 2019 and found out about the post season ban last june.

It's taken a while, but keep in mind we just heard back about our appeal with the NCAA overturning the sanctions in February, about 18 months after we received our punishment.

I

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we had somewhere around 20 in 2016. (I don't know if that's the record or if it was that year or if 20 is the correct number.)

I think the Pac-12 has 8 units right now, so a long long way to go. It helps they have a lot of teams left, but they got shafted on seeds, so their next matchups are:

If things go by seed, the Pac-12 will go from 8 units to 9 in the next set of games and then be done. There's a long way to go. There will likely be upsets and they'll get beyond 9 units. But their seeds were so bad its all uphill at this point.
You get a unit for every game you play in, so they were at 11 after the first round (UCLA provided 3 due to the first 4 game). So 13 right now.

Deleted member 2897

You get a unit for every game you play in, so they were at 11 after the first round (UCLA provided 3 due to the first 4 game). So 13 right now.

Oh gotcha yes they'll get another unit for all those games even if they lose. I don't expect they'll get close to the record though due to their seedings.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

The ACC earned 25 units in 2016.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Nope. Their NOA was about 9 months after ours. We knew about our post season ban in september of 2019. They got hit with their NOA in novemeber of 2019 and found out about the post season ban last june.

It's taken a while, but keep in mind we just heard back about our appeal with the NCAA overturning the sanctions in February, about 18 months after we received our punishment.

I
Why did they get their NOA so much later than ours? I'm a little foggy on the timelines of the accusations, wire taps, puke & Wendell Carter's mom etc.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree that's what they did.
I'll add i'm not sure there is much statistical support for awarding teams that finish strong a higher seed.
For instance, in this year's tourney, 4 of the 6 P6 Tournament champions have already lost with only OR St making it through to the Sweet Sixteen. AL can still advance to day.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has the stats on how Tourney champions have played in the NCAA tourney. I also remember '93 the last time GT won the Tourney and then it got blitzed in the first round by Southern after being given like a 4 seed.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll add i'm not sure there is much statistical support for awarding teams that finish strong a higher seed.
For instance, in this year's tourney, 4 of the 6 P6 Tournament champions have already lost with only OR St making it through to the Sweet Sixteen. AL can still advance to day.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has the stats on how Tourney champions have played in the NCAA tourney. I also remember '93 the last time GT won the Tourney and then it got blitzed in the first round by Southern after being given like a 4 seed.
I'm not really concerned about how well a team's finish correlates to tournament performance. My concern is that not rewarding conference championships properly is simply a bad decision because it should matter. If it is worth an auto-bid it should have some weight. Weighing non-conference games higher than conference games is also a bad decision because they should be more important.

It is just one year so I am not angry or anything but I am concerned that anyone who thinks that way is making important decisions.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why did they get their NOA so much later than ours? I'm a little foggy on the timelines of the accusations, wire taps, puke & Wendell Carter's mom etc.

I believe both situations came out more or less the same time, at the start of the 2017 season.

My guess is that ours was smaller in scope and easier for the NCAA to handle because it wasn't intertwined with FBI stuff.