Bracketology - Let's Do This

Deleted member 2897

North Carolina dropped from 33 to 44.
Clemson jumped from 38 to 33... if they end the season just 3 slots higher, then we gain another quad 1 win.
NC State beat Virginia on the road and jumped from 81 all the way up to.... 79.

And Virginia losing at home to a bad team dropped only 6 places, LOLOLOLOLOL.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I’m numb to all the Quad 1 this and Quad 1 that. Our NET is 36 in that system which supposedly matters yet most people don’t have us in the tournament. We have to figure out what the metrics are that matter at some point. Of course it would help if they told people...or at least didn’t lie about it.

Our NET is 38th now (not sure if it changed again or if we mis-read it).

Through Games Feb. 24 2021:

Rank Previous
3836Georgia TechACC12-83-51-08-32-64-04-22-0

Loses in the last two nights by St. Louis, Seton Hall, Xavier and Indiana all matter to us because these teams have all been on many brackets ahead of us.

If you don't put us in, who are you putting in ahead of us?

Indiana is now 12-11 overall. We've already discussed Minnesota's 6-10 conf record. They have lost 3 in a row (and 6 of their last 8 - LOL). Xavier has lost 3 of their last 4.

We need to take care of our own business and we'll be fine.

/

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Our NET is 38th now (not sure if it changed again or if we mis-read it).

Through Games Feb. 24 2021:

Rank Previous
3836Georgia TechACC12-83-51-08-32-64-04-22-0

Loses in the last two nights by St. Louis, Seton Hall, Xavier and Indiana all matter to us because these teams have all been on many brackets ahead of us.

If you don't put us in, who are you putting in ahead of us?

Indiana is now 12-11 overall. We've already discussed Minnesota's 6-10 conf record. They have lost 3 in a row (and 6 of their last 8 - LOL). Xavier has lost 3 of their last 4.

We need to take care of our own business and we'll be fine.

/
I'll take this as an opportunity to reinforce the last point
  • If we stack two more quad 2 wins over the next week, we'll be sitting pretty good
  • If we lose both, we'll know our fate
  • And there are so many scenarios in between, at which point the relative comparisons will become more relevant
There are so many relevant games to be played, and so comparing our NCAAT standing to others today is little more than entertainment.
  • It doesn't matter what the bracketologists say today
  • It doesn't matter how our actual performance and record stands up to our bubble competition today
  • Our bubble competition is going to change a lot between now and when it actually matters a couple weeks from now

Deleted member 2897

• If we stack two more quad 2 wins over the next week, we'll be sitting pretty good
  • And there are so many scenarios in between, at which point the relative comparisons will become more relevant
There are so many relevant games to be played, and so comparing our NCAAT standing to others today is little more than entertainment.
  • It doesn't matter how our actual performance and record stands up to our bubble competition today
  • Our bubble competition is going to change a lot between now and when it actually matters a couple weeks from now

No doubt I am overreacting to a lot of this. Most of these prognosticators likely aren't making micromanaged precise adjustments to their bracket every day as scores come in. And when it comes time at the end to make the real brackets, if we've done our job and come in 10-7 or better in conference play and 14-9 overall with a 30-something NET, I just believe in my gut they're not going to take 15+ at-large teams with worse resumes over us once they sit down and really pour over the data.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It's really fun though. There's a reason everyone and their brother makes prediction brackets/bubble watches, plus no other sport really has this lead up phase (college baseball I guess?)

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Some good bubble games today.

Boise State (32) @ San Diego State (25)
Oregon (47) @ Stanford (58)
USC (13) @ Colorado (24)

Obviously everyone's (myself included) going to be watching Iowa @Michigan, but there's going to be a bit of movement tomorrow too.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It's really fun though. There's a reason everyone and their brother makes prediction brackets/bubble watches, plus no other sport really has this lead up phase (college baseball I guess?)
I agree. It's great entertainment and I enjoy it. Just providing guidance to not lose any sleep over it since there's a lot of runway left.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
From Norlander... 8 teams with the "funkiest" resume... Loyola, GT, Creighton, UConn, Mizzou, RIchmond, Minny.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-weird-resumes-and-coaches-have-new-concerns/

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 2.38.26 PM.png

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Keep an eye on Michigan St as a bubble team. Big win versus Illinois the other night. They have Ohio St in East Lansing tonite and two games back to back against Michigan. As much as they’ve struggled, izzo is still the coach and they can get hot quick. Pick up a couple more wins against these Quad 1’s and they’ll steal a spot.

Deleted member 2897

From Norlander... 8 teams with the "funkiest" resume... Loyola, GT, Creighton, UConn, Mizzou, RIchmond, Minny.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-weird-resumes-and-coaches-have-new-concerns/

View attachment 9946

You still see a high level of ignorance in comments like the one linked to here.

The first two games we lost when we weren't even practicing yet.

"Hasn't swept an opponent." Which teams did we play twice? Virginia, Florida State, and Clemson. The 1, 2, and 5 ACC seeds out of 15 teams. And we lost by missing a buzzer beater against Virginia and by Clemson banking in a missed shot on a ricochet at the buzzer. Unlike teams like Syracuse, we didn't get the benefit of playing teams in the bottom of the conference twice. Unlike Syracuse with 9 games against the bottom of the league, we've had 3 games against the bottom of the league. **** these people.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Mad Dog was the best on campus. Remember him showing EVERYONE his final four ring during a football game.
I was at the Double overtime win against UGA in the Omni in 1991. Munlyn was a senior reserve who Bobby turned to when everyone started fouling out. James was quite the fan favorite. He made a putback of a missed free throw that was a behind the back tip like a volley ball player. The ball hit the rim and somehow with some crazy English went in. My friend was listening to Larry Munson who was doing play by play for basketball that season. Munson screamed, " Munlyn just threw in a crazy shot."

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

As this suggests, there will be no replacements once the tournament starts. If the team needing replacing is from a one bid league, the one bid leagues choose a replacement, otherwise it's from the next 4 in.

If covid happens for a team during the tournament, the game will be judged a no contest and the non affected team advances. This is crazy because you could have very good teams be disqualified and completely change the outcome of the tournament.

As a side note, if I'm the NIT I'm excited about this news.

Edit:
Imaging the perfect storm where a bunch of these 1-7 seed teams have covid issues before the tournament behind, suddenly the NIT could be on par or even replace the NCAA tournament with regards to competitiveness and quality of teams.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
SOS, sheer number of wins is helping some teams in brackets but who knows what the committee does. Before last night UNC was 7-7 in Q1/Q2 games and 5-0 in Q3 , whereas we had 2 Q3 losses. Q3/Q4 wins pretty much do nothing but the losses are rough. UNC is gonna drop big from that Q3 loss last night but still that’s one less Q3 loss than we have and Marquette is 100 vs ours at 138/118. UNC is above us in the ACC standings. And as much as no one wants to hear it, the prediction brackets are 100% providing a blue blood factor. Saw a tweet where some guy admitted as much when related to UNC.

People are doing brackets as they’ve always done them and in this covid season we could see more surprises than were used to selection Sunday bc of that since the committee may take into account COVID pauses.
This. And I'm not sure it will stop with the prediction brackets. The NCAA needs the revenue after losing last year's tournament. If you are deciding between Georgia Tech or a blue blood (or even a team that has a larger following for that matter) that has a similar or slightly worse resume, who does the committee select? The team that deserves it, or the team that brings in more money. I have a guess as to which one will be selected.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
As this suggests, there will be no replacements once the tournament starts. If the team needing replacing is from a one bid league, the one bid leagues choose a replacement, otherwise it's from the next 4 in.

If covid happens for a team during the tournament, the game will be judged a no contest and the non affected team advances. This is crazy because you could have very good teams be disqualified and completely change the outcome of the tournament.

As a side note, if I'm the NIT I'm excited about this news.

Edit:
Imaging the perfect storm where a bunch of these 1-7 seed teams have covid issues before the tournament behind, suddenly the NIT could be on par or even replace the NCAA tournament with regards to competitiveness and quality of teams.
At this point, it's on the players and staff do to what they're supposed to do. If they F up, it's on them. MLB made it through their shortened season. College football and the NFL made it through. All of them have a lot more players and staff to worry about than basketball teams. Players on teams that could be NCAA tourney bound should know the risks and what they need to do to avoid them at this point. If they don't adhere to the precautions provided by health officials and their conferences/the NCAA, perhaps their entire team doesn't go to the dance. I wouldn't want to be the player/coach/staff member that kept their team out of the tournament.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
At this point, it's on the players and staff do to what they're supposed to do. If they F up, it's on them. MLB made it through their shortened season. College football and the NFL made it through. All of them have a lot more players and staff to worry about than basketball teams. Players on teams that could be NCAA tourney bound should know the risks and what they need to do to avoid them at this point. If they don't adhere to the precautions provided by health officials and their conferences/the NCAA, perhaps their entire team doesn't go to the dance. I wouldn't want to be the player/coach/staff member that kept their team out of the tournament.
Totally agree. Ideally, this should be a non-issue and just a CYA for NCAA. Unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world and the average age of a college basketball player is probably lower then that of football and other sports in college. Hell even many professionals in the NBA and NFL have been caught out of protocol. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.