Bracket Challenge 2019

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
From ESPN:
In a tearful news conference on Sept. 10, Pearl acknowledged that he had given investigators false information when asked about a cookout at his home attended by high school juniors. Pearl was charged with unethical conduct by the NCAA for misleading investigators and the NCAA has since charged the Tennessee basketball and football programs with a dozen violations.

However, failing to notify Tennessee of another possible recruiting violation that occurred just four days after the tearful news conference may have ultimately caused Pearl to lose the support of his bosses.

From the Montgomery newspaper
AUBURN – Bruce Pearl is still refusing to interview with Auburn officials and university legal counsel.

By declining requests to interview with university counsel and the law firm of Lightfoot, Franklin & White of Birmingham, Auburn officials contend the investigation can't be concluded and also has held up the eligibility reinstatement of inactive players Austin Wiley and Danjel Purifoy.

“If he’s running a clean program and hasn’t done anything wrong, why won’t he talk?” the source told the Montgomery Advertiser on the condition of anonymity. “The responsibility is to the school and a athletics department and not just to a coach and his program.”

From the Charleston Post Courier:

Where there is Bruce Pearl smoke, there is typically fire. His brushes with controversy started well before Tennessee. Pearl, while an assistant coach at Iowa in 1989, taped his phone conversation with high-profile recruit Deon Thomas, in which he got Thomas to say he received $80,000 to flip from Iowa to Illinois.

The better question is, why isn't he scum? Or perhaps, why does Auburn continue its tradition of running and preferring a scummy athletic program? Why does the lame NCAA turn a blind eye? Why does the NCAA threaten us for parking tickets when others are committing murder and being rewarded for it?

Maybe you are correct. Auburn, Pearl and the NCAA are a perfect marriage. If you like low lifes.

You obviously only read the first line of my post. Sorry I can't make it more bite sized for you.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
Failing to cooperate with the NCAA makes him scum?

This is a microcosm of why we are who we are. Right now I’d love to have the guy leading our program, his players love him, his fans love him. GT fans are 15 years behind. Bruce Pearl is a 2019 CBB savant. 80% of the ACC is playing chess and our fans are crying because they don’t understand what the horsey does.

One thing I will agree with is that you either do it right, or don't do it at all. The NCAA loves programs like ours that dip our toes into the water. We don't generate any revenue for them, so they continue to put programs like GT on probation for parking violations. It gives the impression that they are a legitimate governing body. It took an FBI investigation to expose the underbelly of what it takes to win. And some of the stuff programs like Duke and UNC do aren't crimes from the standpoint of the FBI...

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Failing to cooperate with the NCAA makes him scum?

This is a microcosm of why we are who we are. Right now I’d love to have the guy leading our program, his players love him, his fans love him. GT fans are 15 years behind. Bruce Pearl is a 2019 CBB savant. 80% of the ACC is playing chess and our fans are crying because they don’t understand what the horsey does.
Scum for secretly taping a player and trying to screw him over. Also bs on him for claiming to be a civil rights hero.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that the 2 supposed lottery picks today haven't really impressed. Hunter was a quiet 14 and 5 while Culver has an ice cold 1 point so far. Would have thought both of these guys would have to play like lottery picks for their teams to go forward but guess not

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
I stand to make a significant score should Texas Tech win the national championship. There are no more ACC units to be earned this year...so go Red Raiders!!!!!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As usual, go with Izzo to the FF, but once there go against him.

I'll be rooting for UVA Monday but TT is an easy team to root for as well.

from early on it just looked like TT was playing harder than Mich St.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
How can you root for the red and black?

$$$$$ I always play defense in single elimination tournaments. And the books were gifting amazing value to Texas Tech. UVA probably wins that game, but I like my position from a value standpoint...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Virginia opens as a 1 point favorite over Texas Tech. That is also the over/under ;)

I'm conflicted on who to root for. On one hand, I like the idea of Virginia not getting a championship and having that hang over them for a bit. I was disappointed when the Red Sox and Cubs got off the hook. On the other hand, I wonder if Virginia winning will lead to a helpful exodus for the rest of the ACC i.e., more guys leave who have accomplished all they need to accomplish in college.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Virginia opens as a 1 point favorite over Texas Tech. That is also the over/under ;)

I'm conflicted on who to root for. On one hand, I like the idea of Virginia not getting a championship and having that hang over them for a bit. I was disappointed when the Red Sox and Cubs got off the hook. On the other hand, I wonder if Virginia winning will lead to a helpful exodus for the rest of the ACC i.e., more guys leave who have accomplished all they need to accomplish in college.
The Cubs were"on the hook" for over a full century. That should have been long enough for you.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It hurts seeing a “Tech” school playing in the final 4/National Championship game and it’s not our Tech.....
At the end of the day they still live in Lubbock. You can put a trophy in the case & have a parade, but the next day they still live somewhere nobody else wants to & attend a school nobody really gives a crap about.