Bracket Challenge 2019

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We talk about this year having a weak pool relative last year, but Jared Harper just declared for the draft and will hire an agent. He's 5-11, 175 and not a great shooter. He was a nice college player, but I do not expect to hear his name called.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
They may well take a step back when Hunter, Jerome and maybe Guy leave this year. Natural they would.
They do have more talent on the bench than folks realize. Supposedly the Italian guy Badocchi is a stud waiting his turn. 2 more legit 4 star players going into the pipeline next year as well.
New roles and some guys need to step up a bit but they will stay top third of the ACC.

Huff is a 6-11 guy who is mobile and hits 3s.He will be HUGE next yr.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Unless Huff discovers a new love of hustle and playing D like a Hoo, I think he'll be a seldom used reserve until he graduates or transfers. He is just brutal defensively right now and that's not going to get you playing time under Bennett

73CAV

Georgia Tech Fan
Actually, Huff has made great progress on the defensive end. He is considerably better than he was as a redshirt frosh. Considerably. He needs to improve his lower body strength because, IMO, that is still affecting his rebounding. His playing time, over the last half of the year, was largely determined by matchups. Bennett used Salt, Diakite, Huff, and Key in varying combinations depending upon the opponent. If Huff progresses as much during the coming off season as he did in the last, I imagine his role will only grow. The mitigating element will be the production which Caffaro and Shedrick are capable of providing. Unknown for now.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Actually, Huff has made great progress on the defensive end. He is considerably better than he was as a redshirt frosh. Considerably. He needs to improve his lower body strength because, IMO, that is still affecting his rebounding. His playing time, over the last half of the year, was largely determined by matchups. Bennett used Salt, Diakite, Huff, and Key in varying combinations depending upon the opponent. If Huff progresses as much during the coming off season as he did in the last, I imagine his role will only grow. The mitigating element will be the production which Caffaro and Shedrick are capable of providing. Unknown for now.

Jay Huff's announcement he was staying was pretty great.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Shedrick is likely to redshirt

73CAV

Georgia Tech Fan
Shedrick is likely to redshirt
Conventional wisdom would say you're right. Every front court player on the team, with the exception of Key, has used a redshirt year. Additionally, I have a suspicion that Shedrick could use a year of weight training. On the other hand, with the departures of Salt, Hunter, and Jerome, Virginia basketball is entering a new phase. Lots of unknowns. I am hopeful that both Guy and Diakite return. Regardless, new contributions will be required from somewhere. While Caffaro, Badocchi, and Stattman are all intriguing, I have no idea about what should be expected. Hopefully, Morsell can add playable depth. Both Clark and Key have areas in their games which require significant work. So, while Shedrick seems a probable candidate for a redshirt, I have no idea how things will evolve.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I agree, Diakite will play a huge part in how TB handles that roster. I really like Morsell, I think he is more prepared to contribute offensively than Clark was coming into this year. As with most Virginia players it will come down to how quickly he catches on to the defensive scheme.