Bracket Challenge 2019

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
IMHO the fingernail on the ball wasn't the reason to institute replay. That call was legit and should have stood.
After that TT fell apart - they had a shot to get back in the game so I don't put everything on that call.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
IMHO the fingernail on the ball wasn't the reason to institute replay. That call was legit and should have stood.
After that TT fell apart - they had a shot to get back in the game so I don't put everything on that call.
In the last 2 minutes, OB calls can be challenged and reviewed. I think UVA challenged the call almost immediately.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Bet light tonite because I literally had no feel for this one.
CC7FFE1F-AA0C-49EA-A7A6-923058A208C1.jpeg

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It will be interesting to see if Guy, Hunter, and Jerome declare for the draft. This is a relatively weak draft and they are not likely to repeat as champions, This was a tough six games for them. I think I heard the announcers say UVA is the first champion to go through March Madness and not have to play a single 1 or 2 seed.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
In the last 2 minutes, OB calls can be challenged and reviewed. I think UVA challenged the call almost immediately.

to my knowledge it is not a challenge system - the refs simply go when they think they need to. I expect UVA was yelling at them but they don't have a formal right to "challenge" that I know of. The refs normally go look at the monitor when anything is even sort of close. I just think they shouldn't be looking for fingernails - rather blatant woops reversals.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Happy for Tony Bennett and UVA. I don't know if he cheats but it seems like he's pretty clean and he's a class act for sure from what I've always seen. If an ACC team needs to win the title, UVA are surely towards one of the early picks for that.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Hunter finally decided to show up for the tournament at the right time. The stat sheet is fairly unimpressive somehow but Diakite has put in an incredibly impressive performance throughout this entire tournament. I have no idea how his official rebound numbers aren't hire but he was everywhere, keeping possessions alive on offense, seeings screens, and disrupting every shot in the paint. I can't for the life of me understand why they took him out the last 2 minutes of the 2nd half. Pretty much have TTU easy points in the paint.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It will be interesting to see if Guy, Hunter, and Jerome declare for the draft. This is a relatively weak draft and they are not likely to repeat as champions, This was a tough six games for them. I think I heard the announcers say UVA is the first champion to go through March Madness and not have to play a single 1 or 2 seed.

UVA was first since UNLV in 1990 not to face a 2 seed.

Also, FWIW, UVA winning kept another fairly large streak alive. Since the McD All-American game was established in 1978 only 2 teams have won a National Championship without a McD AA on their roster. The first was Maryland in 2001. The second was UConn in 2014. Now both had quite a few Top 100 players, just not a McD AA. GT would have been the 2nd team in 2004 if they had won the NC game.
The player on UVA's roster that was a burger boy - Kyle Guy. One of the few 4* McD AA.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, that was a very good game last night.
The first 10 min it looked like it was going to be first to 40 wins, but after that both teams really settled in and played pretty well.
Once again UVA was unable to hold a late lead but made plays in the final minute (it's last 3 games against Purdue, Aub and TT were all down to the last few seconds or overtime).

Happy for Bennett. Good coach. Runs a clean program.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
UVA was first since UNLV in 1990 not to face a 2 seed.

Also, FWIW, UVA winning kept another fairly large streak alive. Since the McD All-American game was established in 1978 only 2 teams have won a National Championship without a McD AA on their roster. The first was Maryland in 2001. The second was UConn in 2014. Now both had quite a few Top 100 players, just not a McD AA. GT would have been the 2nd team in 2004 if they had won the NC game.
The player on UVA's roster that was a burger boy - Kyle Guy. One of the few 4* McD AA.
Vegas, for as dominant as they were, got some breaks match up wise. The only scare they got besides us in the final 4 was 12 seed Ball St in the Sweet 16, which upset 4 seed Louisville in the 2nd rd. Then LMU in the Elite 8, which was probably way under seeded. Even Duke was a 3 that year.

To me, that was one of the best eras ever for college basketball.

GT_EE78

Banned
I'd love to say goodbye to all 3. Hunter is a no-brainer (top ten) Jerome is a late first rounder in most mocks (might be smart for him to take advantage of the limelight) Guy is rated #70 by nbadraft,net doubtful that he would try. Salt is a senior. would be nice if someone besides UVA/Duke/UNC can compete.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think UVA is going anywhere. He's got a good program going. He recruits good players ( he calls them 'sneaky good'), he'll redshirt alot of them - all of their FR but Clark were redshirted this year, and most of the guys in their rotation were redshirted at one time or another.
So as older guys phase out of the program they have new guys that are largely not FR taking their place.
Of the 8 players on the court for them last night, 5 of them had been redshirted - only Guy, Jerome and Clark had not.

I believe Clark was the only player that played for them that was under 21 years old.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
They may well take a step back when Hunter, Jerome and maybe Guy leave this year. Natural they would.
They do have more talent on the bench than folks realize. Supposedly the Italian guy Badocchi is a stud waiting his turn. 2 more legit 4 star players going into the pipeline next year as well.
New roles and some guys need to step up a bit but they will stay top third of the ACC.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's also interesting to see how the FF teams built their rosters. Will start with the starters and also show top reserves
Let's start with UVA. Bennett recruits good players and gives them time to develop
Jerome - Jr - 4*, Top 50
Guy - Jr - 4*, Top 50, McD AA
Hunter - R-So, 4*, Top 80
Diakite - R-Jr, 4*, Top 100
Clark - Fr, 3*
Key - Jr, 4*, Top 75 - Transferred from AL
Salt - R-Sr, NR - recruited from Australia
Huff - R-So, 4*, Top 100

Texas Tech
Beard went everywhere and anywhere to get kids
Mooney - Gr, 2* - started at Air Force, transferred to South Dakota, grad transferred to TT
Owens - Gr, 3*, - started at TN, transferred to St. John's, grad transferred to TT
Odiase - R-Sr, 2*
Culver - So, 3*
Moretti - So, NR - recruited from Italy
Francis - R-Sr, 4*, Top 50, transferred from FL
Corprew - R-So, 4*, Top 100, went JUCO from HS as a non-qualifier
Edwards - Fr, 3*

Mich St
Izzo tends to recruit alot of strong 4-star types
McQuaid - Sr, 4*, Top 75
Goins - R-Sr, NR - former walk-on
Winston - Jr, 4*, Top 30 - just missed being a five star
Tillman - So, 4*, Top 75
Henry - Fr, 4*, Top 120 - started getting more playing time after injuries to starters
Ward - Jr, 4*, Top 50
Brown - Fr, 4*, Top 100

They had 2 former starters injured
Langford - Jr, 5*, Top 20, McD AA
Ahrens - R-Jr, 3*

Auburn
Pearl has made a killing recruiting GA, also recruits JUCO's
Brown - Sr, 3*
Dunbar - Sr, 3* - went to JUCO out of HS
Harper - Jr, 4*, Top 100
Purifoy - Jr, 4*, Top 75
McLemore - Jr, 3*
Doughty - R-Jr, 3* - signed with St. Johns, matriculated to VCU, transferred to Auburn
Wiley - Jr, 5*, Top 25
McCormick - Jr, - former JUCO
Spencer - Jr, 4*, Top 75

injured starter
Okeke, So, 4*, Top 40

Also note all the experience on these teams.
UVA - 4 of the 5 starters and 7 of the top 8 are in at least their 3rd year of college
Texas Tech - 3 of 5 starters and 5 of top 8 are in at least their 3rd year of college
Mich St - 3 of 5 starters and 4 of top 7 are in at least their 3rd year of college, they also have 2 injured starters that would both be at least in their 3rd year
Auburn - all of starters and all 9 that played in the final four are in at least their 3rd year. Okeke was a So that was a starter

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a nice article by Pat Forde after he ripped UVA last year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/virginias-redemption-story-becomes-one-for-the-ages-064736995.html

I think the most amazing fact about this run for UVA is they were trailing with 15 seconds to play in their last 3 games and won all 3. They also were down 14 to Gardner-Webb in the 1st half before winning that opening game.

As Forde also mentions in each game they took advantage of a late little error by the opponent to win.
Cline missed a FT for Purdue that allowed a 3 to tie it.
Harper missed a FT that allowed Guy to win by going 3-3
Texas Tech collapsed on a penetrator with a 3-pt lead leaving the line undefended.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
How big was that call when Guy was fouled with a second on the clock against Auburn. Most ref's swallow their whistle that late in a game on a call that can affect the outcome. Also that play shows how important free throws are in tight games. Without that late call UVA is not national champs.