Bracket Busting

Which would you rather?

• Traditional Bracket - for $5 buy in; 2nd place gets $5 and 1st gets the rest

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Traditional Bracket - for bragging rights only

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Upset Bracket (bonus point for upsets) - for $5 buy in; 2nd place gets $5 and 1st gets the rest

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Upset Bracket (bonus point for upsets) - for bragging rights only

• Both - for $5 Each submission, 2nd place gets $5 and 1st gets the rest for each style

• Both - for bragging rights only

• Total voters

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
NC State down 9 to Creighton with 6:30 to go
I just put this on. They are playing like a bunch of egomaniacs. Terquavion Smith has blasted by his career single game FGA high. Does anyone know why Burns has been a non-factor? 18 minutes, 1/5 from the field.

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Burns had problems all game defending Kalbrenner and was in constant foul problems.

NC St still doesn't look like a very well coached team. They look more like an AAU team.
Offensively it is pretty much put the ball in Smith's hands and let him create something.

Both Pitt and NC ST will likely have to rebuild their teams after this season as both went heavy on transfers who will graduate this year (and Smith for NC St is likely to head to the NBA).
You can either give them credit, or say it was short sighted, or both, but Capel and Keatts both knew they had to make the NCAA this season to keep their jobs and both went out - brought in a bunch of transfers and got themselves extensions.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
So, full disclosure, I only listened to this finish on radio and I'm just now actually seeing just how terri-bad this decision/pass was.

Like, he could've passed to like 3 other teammates that were moderately open and they wouldve been fine. He coulda just fell outta bounds and it wouldve been better for them. Man thats brutal.

He had to have thought there was less time left and that lib would run out the clock. Only thing I could think of

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I had Creighton taking down Arizona so I’m safe. It Creighton is difficult to trust. I shoot for 6 of the elite eight and hope I have the winner. Early upsets aren’t worth much but bragging rights

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Fairleigh Dickinson and North Kentucky last night have been my favorite 16 seeds to watch. Their energy on defense is incredible and they are playing fearlessly against Purdue and Houston. This gameplan by Tobin Anderson is going to get him job offers.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
*sigh*
My bracket ....

Oh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

I'm working with a PR firm to craft an appropriate apology.

Thoughts and prayers, folks. Thoughts and prayers...

slugboy

Staff member
*sigh*
My bracket ....

Oh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

I'm working with a PR firm to craft an appropriate apology.

Thoughts and prayers, folks. Thoughts and prayers...

Your bracket will eventually be better than mine, because you didn’t pick UVA to win it all ;)

I actually had family reasons to pick Farleigh Dickinson, but I still picked Purdue.

slugboy

Staff member

The most upsets in an NCAA tournament was 14 upsets, where an upset is a team at least 5 seeds lower is the victor (a 13 seed over an 8 seed counts, a 10 seed over a 6 seed doesn’t). Pitt over Iowa State counts (11 over 6). This tournament probably won’t set records, but it’s had a couple of double-digit-seeded upsets already.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of the best tournament days ever for UVA. They now have company as a 1-16 loser.

Purdue's last 3 Tourney's are something
First round loss to a 16 seed (FDU).
Sweet Sixteen loss to a 15 seed (St. Peters).
First Round loss to a 13 seed (North Texas)

Maybe should have seen this coming based on the trendline.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

The most upsets in an NCAA tournament was 14 upsets, where an upset is a team at least 5 seeds lower is the victor (a 13 seed over an 8 seed counts, a 10 seed over a 6 seed doesn’t). Pitt over Iowa State counts (11 over 6). This tournament probably won’t set records, but it’s had a couple of double-digit-seeded upsets already.
Personal soap box: Iowa state was a 5 point favorite. Is that "March Madness" or just two fairly equal teams playing a game?

Some of these are real upsets this year. But the talent differential is increasingly smaller year over year, to where a 12 beating a 5 or a 13 beating a 4 is not the same thing that is used to be.

Drake is a 1.5 dog as a 12. Utah State was favored as a 10 over the 7.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Burns had problems all game defending Kalbrenner and was in constant foul problems.

NC St still doesn't look like a very well coached team. They look more like an AAU team.
Offensively it is pretty much put the ball in Smith's hands and let him create something.

Both Pitt and NC ST will likely have to rebuild their teams after this season as both went heavy on transfers who will graduate this year (and Smith for NC St is likely to head to the NBA).
You can either give them credit, or say it was short sighted, or both, but Capel and Keatts both knew they had to make the NCAA this season to keep their jobs and both went out - brought in a bunch of transfers and got themselves extensions.
I only caught 10-15 min or so of the NC State game. I am no fan of NC State nor Burns, but 2 of his fouls were egregiously bad calls in my opinion, especially his fourth. It was beyond just calling a game tight. And because of those fouls, it seemed to really affect the momentum of the game.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Iowa State won just 6 of their last 17 games heading into the dance. Purdue was one of the only teams that trended amongst recent title holders in regards to offensive and defensive efficiency. The same madness that makes this event great pisses me off

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Memphis got f***** by the refs. Shoulda been a timeout ref calls jumpball Fau gets the ball and hits game winner.