Bracket Busting

Which would you rather?

• Traditional Bracket - for $5 buy in; 2nd place gets $5 and 1st gets the rest

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Traditional Bracket - for bragging rights only

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Upset Bracket (bonus point for upsets) - for $5 buy in; 2nd place gets $5 and 1st gets the rest

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Upset Bracket (bonus point for upsets) - for bragging rights only

• Both - for $5 Each submission, 2nd place gets $5 and 1st gets the rest for each style

• Both - for bragging rights only

• Total voters

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
75F76837-99C0-4FAA-8149-2113E6DDB0A8.jpeg

My angle for that gamewinner. Absolutely fantastic game. Too bad Monday will be over by halftime. Omier really had his hands full with Sanogo tonight.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Gotta admit I still have a bitter taste from uconn in 2004. They look invincible this year.
I only saw the first half but I was thinking of our game against them in the finals. It’s similar to the phrase we heard recently in football…. BPBUSP. All other things being equal the taller player(s) win. Plus UConn must go 10-12 players deep with no drop off.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I only saw the first half but I was thinking of our game against them in the finals. It’s similar to the phrase we heard recently in football…. BPBUSP. All other things being equal the taller player(s) win. Plus UConn must go 10-12 players deep with no drop off.

It's funny my dad and I went to the Final 4 in SA when we played them and he texted me the EXACT same thing. Okafor was like Shaq that night

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's funny my dad and I went to the Final 4 in SA when we played them and he texted me the EXACT same thing. Okafor was like Shaq that night

Someone gonna bring up Okafor and how he would have signed with us if not for a series of events the precluded him ending up at UConn...oh, I guess it's me bringing it up...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Someone gonna bring up Okafor and how he would have signed with us if not for a series of events the precluded him ending up at UConn...oh, I guess it's me bringing it up...

It's (not really) funny.

When folks bristle at the idea that the recruiting landscape for Cremins was much different, this is one of the main cases I cite as proof.

A stupid, new rule led directly to that guy not coming to GT basically. And he was one of the main reasons we didn't win it all that year. Smh

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
It's (not really) funny.

When folks bristle at the idea that the recruiting landscape for Cremins was much different, this is one of the main cases I cite as proof.

A stupid, new rule led directly to that guy not coming to GT basically. And he was one of the main reasons we didn't win it all that year. Smh
I think Hewitt recruited Okafor in 2001. Anyways, Michael Southall, uggh!

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
This dude is bugging.

Yeah I mean I guess they had a couple rough years (short lived compared to like our misery) that sorta coincided with the AAC move which was not good for them at all. Now they seem back to the usual UConn again.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Dear San Diego State,

Playing great defense is fine, but you gotta make shots. 32% ain't gonna win championships.
The highest shooting percentage of any of the 6 teams UCONN beat was 38.8%.

That’s why they crushed all 6 opponents. This UCONN team was excellent in every aspect of basketball. Far and away the best this tournament.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The highest shooting percentage of any of the 6 teams UCONN beat was 38.8%.

That’s why they crushed all 6 opponents. This UCONN team was excellent in every aspect of basketball. Far and away the best this tournament.
I was rooting for SDSU on Saturday but I would have really loved to see what FAU could do against them. SDSU guards the 3 tremendously well and FAU moved the ball well enough to shoot 41% against them. I think they could have dropped some serious points on UConn. It would have been some really beautiful basketball.

College hoops doesn’t have the longest offseason but it sure feels like it does.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m on vacation, but I gotta ask

how did no one on the board see UCONN as a final four team?

Who had them going the furthest on their bracket?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

It's weird but I had them going all the way as well as FAU, SDState, and Miami all in the Final Four. I thought I hit submit when entering the challenge here but apparently did not. I will be happy to upload a photo of my completed bracket if anyone calls my integrity into question. ;)

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

I thought it was realistic. Their Kenpom metrics lined up - the issue was so did Kansas, UCLA, and Gonzaga’s (less so b/c of a mediocre defense). That quadrant was absolutely brutal.

I think I put them in the E8 losing to the Zags. UConn’s performance against Gonzaga left very little doubt who was going to win this Tournament.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I will give Jay Bills some credit (hard to do :oops:) as he was singing UCon’s praises in his bracket preview. Don’t think he had them winning everything but I think he had them making the F4

MidtownJacket

Staff member

I had them losing to Houston in the Final 4, was glad for the payout to the ACC Miami made me look foolish.

1680656416852.png