Bowl Projections & Rumors

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
How? UCF is the 4th best rushing offense in the nation and GT is one of the worst rush defenses.
Ehh they probably are pretty good at running, but this should still have an asterisks with being in the big 12. It’s not like there’s many defensive minded teams that are lurking on that schedule.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
How? UCF is the 4th best rushing offense in the nation and GT is one of the worst rush defenses.
I think Tech will be much more motivated against a P-5 team at night in front of a relatively good crowd in a 69,000-seat stadium in Tampa than against Troy in Birmingham.
My guess is that Troy would have been more stoked for the game than Tech.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I think Tech will be much more motivated against a P-5 team at night in front of a relatively good crowd in a 69,000-seat stadium in Tampa than against Troy in Birmingham.
Neither us nor UCF are selling out a 69,000 person stadium -- let's be real here. Hopefully the 100s are sold. It's gonna be real cavernous in there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Neither us nor UCF are selling out a 69,000 person stadium -- let's be real here. Hopefully the 100s are sold. It's gonna be real cavernous in there.
I know it won't be sold out, but it's going to be a lot better attended than the Birmingham Bowl. Tech usually seems to play better in big stadia with more fans, even if they're mostly rooting for the opponent.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Having a motivated Tech team was critical for bowl options to me.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Except QB3 who played against Louisville would not be the one playing. Yes QB2 not a world beater but clearly better than QB3.
FSU QB2 hung 58 on UNA and 24 on UF, and QB3 muddled his way to 16 against L’ville… all wins. Collectively 40 points in UF and UL, both sporting top 30 Ds. By comparison, Bama starter put 67 in UTC, and 27 each in AU and UGAg. A bit better, but not astoundingly so.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Guessing the outcome from Sunday CFP selection had a lot to do with it.
Yeah… ACC kinda had the rug pulled out from under them….
IMG_5612.gif

Probably won’t be the last time the ACC gets screwed by FSU and the SEC.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
FSU QB2 hung 58 on UNA and 24 on UF, and QB3 muddled his way to 16 against L’ville… all wins. Collectively 40 points in UF and UL, both sporting top 30 Ds. By comparison, Bama starter put 67 in UTC, and 27 each in AU and UGAg. A bit better, but not astoundingly so.
Correction, UF's D is around the 50th percentile, not top 30.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, the playoff committee needed to change the narrative that they snubbed a P5 undefeated conference champion (that wasn’t in the SEC) and they latched on to this narrative that FSU is helpless without their number one QB. Now everyone is repeating that in lock step and all the smoke is making us forget that Alabama had a down season in a down conference.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Any news on why it took so long to get the ACC bowls sorted?
This is just my guess and I am definitely not in the know, but my suspicion is that the ACC Commissioner and his conversations with the bowl-eligible teams’ athletic directors were heavily influenced by three factors:

1. Florida State’s elimination from the final top four by the CFP Committee, thus automatically sending the Seminoles to the Orange Bowl;

2. The conference-wide domino effect caused by no. 1 above, resulting in prolonged discussions (and arguments/disagreements) between the ACC Office and among the ADs of the remaining bowl-eligible ACC teams, over which team should go to which bowl; and

3. Waiting on Notre Dame to first agree on which bowl of the remaining alternatives that they most wanted to go to, with the most-favored opponent they wanted to face—and beat. After Notre Dame made its decision, a food fight then ensued among the other teams for the remaining bowl scraps.

This is just my suspected guess. What the heck do I know? LOL

slugboy

Staff member
This is just my guess and I am definitely not in the know, but my suspicion is that the ACC Commissioner and his conversations with the bowl-eligible teams’ athletic directors were heavily influenced by three factors:

1. Florida State’s elimination from the final top four by the CFP Committee, thus automatically sending the Seminoles to the Orange Bowl;

2. The conference-wide domino effect caused by no. 1 above, resulting in prolonged discussions (and arguments/disagreements) between the ACC Office and among the ADs of the remaining bowl-eligible ACC teams, over which team should go to which bowl; and

3. Waiting on Notre Dame to first agree on which bowl of the remaining alternatives that they most wanted to go to, with the most-favored opponent they wanted to face—and beat. After Notre Dame made its decision, a food fight then ensued among the other teams for the remaining bowl scraps.

This is just my suspected guess. What the heck do I know? LOL
Something similar could have happened if Louisville had won. We had to have a contingency plan for that.

I think dealing with the payouts and the insult was a big task. The conference just got their income slashed

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Any news on why it took so long to get the ACC bowls sorted?
Word was they were blindsided by the fsu change and there was controversy on what bowl notre dame was able to be selected to and now the ND AD is pissed off because they wanted a different bowl than the sun bowl. Word is also no one wanted Louisville

To add to this there were 2 major bowl selection shifts that happened. It was expected before everything went down that Louisville was locked into the orange bowl as acc champion or highest ranked acc team if fsu went to the playoff. FSU getting left out bumped them down. Next, Georgia losing but staying ahead of Ohio state meant that the orange bowl had to select Georgia instead of Ohio state. The bowl tie in for the bowl LSU is in (old outback bowl I think?) flips from ACC to Big 10 if an SEC team goes to the orange bowl. Before all this went down it was expected that Louisville would face OSU in the orange bowl and notre dame would face LSU for tv drama. Notre dame was no longer eligible with the spot changing to big 10 (Wisconsin) and Louisville got thrown into the mix with all those higher tier bowls only considering NC schools. Being said that notre dame wanted holiday bowl as the backup but couldn’t go there since it selected usc to avoid a rematch. ACC allegedly told notre dame they weren’t eligible for the highest tier bowls because there were 3 other ranked ACC teams and ND disputed that this was in the contract anywhere blah blah blah people big mad

Last edited: