Bowl Projections & Rumors

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I want a thoroughly pi$$ed off FSU D to go all Mickey Andrews on the UGAg QB. Hit him at every opportunity. Beat him to a pulp. Show the world what great D really means, then score late to win by 1.
I read today that Carson Beck is asking for 4 million to come back to UG next season, does that sound like someone who wants to get hit by that psycho #55 F$U D-lineman with nothing to gain?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
In the interest of this thread harboring many bowl gripes… I just picked up on that the winner of Saturday’s Army v Navy game will be 6-6. Yet I don’t think there’s a bowl game for this team. Meanwhile, 5-7 Minnesota is in a bowl game along with two teams that were contractually ineligible for bowl games (JMU and JXST) to fill remaining slots. This doesn’t seem right.
Don’t they play in the Military Bowl. I have no idea.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I visit the Anna Maria/Holmes Beach/Bradenton Beach/Longboat Key area often. If people don't mind driving an extra 30 minutes...it's worth it. Beaches are gorgeous, and it's full of very good restaurants, and is less crowded than the beaches by St Pete/Clearwater. You can also get around with just a golf cart if you rent one.
Great place for boating as well.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yet another example of how backward this all is?

I suspect Army and Navy would agree unanimously that this one is bigger than any bowl.
The Army/Navy game will be so refreshing to watch. An oasis of true student-athletes, while all around college football flushes itself down the toilet.

Federal law prohibits all athletes at the five “federal service academies” (Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Merchant Marine Academy) from exercising their right to publicity since they are employees of the federal government due to the government paying for their tuition, housing and fees.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Yet another example of how backward this all is?

I suspect Army and Navy would agree unanimously that this one is bigger than any bowl.
Not trying to be flippant but consider it a bowl game then. 82 other teams, their fans, their travel plans, etc... don't need to be held up until Army and Navy decide to play their football game. Or they can get their 6 FBS wins prior to that weekend.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to be flippant but consider it a bowl game then. 82 other teams, their fans, their travel plans, etc... don't need to be held up until Army and Navy decide to play their football game. Or they can get their 6 FBS wins prior to that weekend.
Got it… but no one is held up and Army and Navy aren’t asking them to be.
They know full well what they’re doing and the potential trade off of a missed bowl game is not even on their radar this week, I’m sure.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Got it… but no one is held up and Army and Navy aren’t asking them to be.
They know full well what they’re doing and the potential trade off of a missed bowl game is not even on their radar this week, I’m sure.
That's silly. Bowl games mean $$. Even the academies want money to fund their athletic endeavors.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
That's silly. Bowl games mean $$. Even the academies want money to fund their athletic endeavors.
I am not saying they would turn down an opportunity or funding. The question originally post was valid… Why is there a bowl taking a 5-7 team when one of the academies could have six wins?

I took issue with a reply that said the Bowls shouldn’t have to wait. To me, it seemed to uphold the bowl selection as some noble institution not to be inconvenienced by the silly academies. (that was not the posters intent, we don’t need to go back there.)

The fact is, the bowls don’t wait, they aren’t being asked to wait, and the academies don’t care nearly as much about bowl prospects as they do this upcoming weekend. It’s more important for them to play this game on this day in this manner.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am not saying they would turn down an opportunity or funding. The question originally post was valid… Why is there a bowl taking a 5-7 team when one of the academies could have six wins?

I took issue with a reply that said the Bowls shouldn’t have to wait. To me, it seemed to uphold the bowl selection as some noble institution not to be inconvenienced by the silly academies. (that was not the posters intent, we don’t need to go back there.)

The fact is, the bowls don’t wait, they aren’t being asked to wait, and the academies don’t care nearly as much about bowl prospects as they do this upcoming weekend. It’s more important for them to play this game on this day in this manner.
A bowl could have simply taken the winner of the game, since either Army or Navy would be 6-6, but there must have been no provision for doing so. Pro forma, the lawyers call it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Of course... but they must not will willing to move Army/Navy game in order to get all 12 games in before the bids... risking what's happening this season. I feel like they understand what they are doing & the potential consequences.
Having the Army - Navy game the week after the Conference Championship Games is a very smart decision. The Army-Navy game will not compete well for viewers against Conference Championship games. It will draw a very large audience this week. Bowls are very secondary. Showcasing Army-Navy as the only game is great!

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
A bowl could have simply taken the winner of the game, since either Army or Navy would be 6-6, but there must have been no provision for doing so. Pro forma, the lawyers call it.
Army would still not be eligible with a win because 2 of their 6 wins are against FCS teams and can only count one of them.