Boston College

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
BC is making a good call to use first team to get ready for us. We are one of their few competitive games of the year - either they are going to win easily or get crushed in most of their games. Just winning an ACC game would make this season better than last for them. http://www.atomicfootball.com/archive/teams/tm_1.html

Also, you think we have depth problems? BC doesn't recruit as well as we do. If they want to try and simulate our speed they need the starters.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if it cuts both ways. Spending a lot of extra time reinforces the offense is special/dangerous. If we succeed early, it might heighten our psychological advantage.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
GT had the same record and won only 1 ACC game last year. They lost most of their games by close margin as well.

The have an advantage of having a stout (wasn't it top 10) defense and traditionally a big physical Oline.

It's interesting that they spent time replicating GT's O when their O was horrendous & cost them games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
To run the TO against us would be illogical. One of the criticisms of running the TO at gt is we practice against it too much. Wouldnt our guys and coaches would be super prepared?

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
GT had the same record and won only 1 ACC game last year. They lost most of their games by close margin as well.

The have an advantage of having a stout (wasn't it top 10) defense and traditionally a big physical Oline.

It's interesting that they spent time replicating GT's O when their O was horrendous & cost them games.
They were #1 in most of the statistical categories... We have a huge test ahead. They gave up just over 15 pts/game, but only averaged 17 pts. With a run heavy offense they will eat up clock. If we can get some 3 and outs that would be huge. Offense needs to grind out some long scoring drives.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They were #1 in most of the statistical categories... We have a huge test ahead. They gave up just over 15 pts/game, but only averaged 17 pts. With a run heavy offense they will eat up clock. If we can get some 3 and outs that would be huge. Offense needs to grind out some long scoring drives.

You are scaring me. In the battle of three and out the groh/ roof gt defense has not shined. Also we have not rept a lot against bc type offense in spring and fall.
Let's hope the offense is clicking.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You are scaring me. In the battle of three and out the groh/ roof gt defense has not shined. Also we have not rept a lot against bc type offense in spring and fall.
Let's hope the offense is clicking.

Their new OC is Loeffler who's been at vpi 2013-2015. Unfamiliarity shouldn't be a problem.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Nobody wants to wash the bad taste of last season out of his mouth more than CPJ. The fact that he's relaxed after camp speaks volumes to me. I'm excited to face BC. It will be a big test for sure, but one I think our boys are up for. The best news is we are completely healthy along our starting ranks, of course we are it's game 1, duh. But that's huge because we really start to take a step back when we have to substitute.

We have two weeks to fine tune and regain our legs for BC. We'll use it wisely and we'll be ready to GATA, as flea says.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I wonder if it cuts both ways. Spending a lot of extra time reinforces the offense is special/dangerous. If we succeed early, it might heighten our psychological advantage.
I think this is a game where we come out passing early or running a reverse or something to get in the BC defenders' heads. They have done rote preparation for our base offensive plays and are going to have their eyes on their keys for the running game. Then if we do something to confuse their eyes in the first series, it will have them thinking more than playing for a while after that. The question is whether we can be successful with it. I do have respect for BC's defense and think that we will have to pass successfully to be comfortable in this game.

I guess it's simple really. It's about athletes making plays against other athletes. Can our guys make plays or can BC's? Can Ricky or Brad or one of the AB's make a plays in the passing game? Can our OL give the time needed for the play to happen or will BC's guys win those one-on-ones at the LOS? All of the offensive and defensive scheming in the world doesn't prepare for a Deandre Smelter just beating his guy for a back shoulder throw and then breaking a tackle to gain 30 more YAC. Do we have a guy who can do those things this year?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a game where we come out passing early or running a reverse or something to get in the BC defenders' heads. They have done rote preparation for our base offensive plays and are going to have their eyes on their keys for the running game. Then if we do something to confuse their eyes in the first series, it will have them thinking more than playing for a while after that. The question is whether we can be successful with it. I do have respect for BC's defense and think that we will have to pass successfully to be comfortable in this game.

I guess it's simple really. It's about athletes making plays against other athletes. Can our guys make plays or can BC's? Can Ricky or Brad or one of the AB's make a plays in the passing game? Can our OL give the time needed for the play to happen or will BC's guys win those one-on-ones at the LOS? All of the offensive and defensive scheming in the world doesn't prepare for a Deandre Smelter just beating his guy for a back shoulder throw and then breaking a tackle to gain 30 more YAC. Do we have a guy who can do those things this year?

I think that first paragraph is a good idea except we did that last time we played Reid, uva 2012, and gassed em for 56. We'll see.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I really need this game to get here. I can't watch the spring game or orange bowl any more. I've seen them both so many times at my desk over the last few weeks. I need football back in my life and some fresh GT game tape to replay in the background at work.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
So I guess they won't be running a spread anymore. Wow that guy lead VaTech offense into a dumpster fire. Why would they want him.

My understanding was money/availability. All the coaching turnover last year lead them down this path. I think Loeffler is a lot like Groh IMO. His scheme would work if he could effectively teach it, and get the personnel to run it. I don't think he is good at teaching it, and BC today does not have the folks to run it IMO.