Bold, but reasonable predictions

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Two conditions exist right now for a big year: 1) boo coo returning starters and 2) low media expectations.

Kinda sad, really, when a successful season might be defined because the media expects so little of us.

I would much rather have a less than expected season because people thought we were going to be really good.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Two conditions exist right now for a big year: 1) boo coo returning starters and 2) low media expectations.

Yep and number one is probably a bit more significant for Tech than most teams. Seems like I saw somewhere that our schedule is rated in the top 10 for 2018 in difficulty. Not sure I really agree with that but I guess it is a pretty tough row to hoe with two, possibly three top 10 teams to face in Miami, UGA, and Clemson.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yep and number one is probably a bit more significant for Tech than most teams. Seems like I saw somewhere that our schedule is rated in the top 10 for 2018 in difficulty. Not sure I really agree with that but I guess it is a pretty tough row to hoe with two, possibly three top 10 teams to face in Miami, UGA, and Clemson.
To think when the ACC was just 11 drunks until basketball, and then a lot of years with a lot of average head coaches on the field. There are some outstanding coaches in the conference now and the recruiting has reflected emphasis. Added to those three would be Louisville (strength uncertain), UNC (good players, doofus coach), VT (enough said right there) and then of course Duke, the blue pestilence, and Virginia. A very tough schedule but it is for much of the ACC. Clemson, for instance, kicks off at Texas A&Mm coached by the guy many think Swinney ran out of the ACC, Florida State, and Boston College in Boston late in the season when they for some reason are always so much tougher. They should be a favorite for the NC playoffs but it is no cakewalk for them. My goals are more subdued: win a couple of games we have been dropkicking in the past, beat a couple of tough teams, and maybe get into the ACC championship and see what happens. That's pretty ambitious, and I'll stick with my 9-win, no ACC championship, but I am hoping.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
To think when the ACC was just 11 drunks until basketball, and then a lot of years with a lot of average head coaches on the field. There are some outstanding coaches in the conference now and the recruiting has reflected emphasis. Added to those three would be Louisville (strength uncertain), UNC (good players, doofus coach), VT (enough said right there) and then of course Duke, the blue pestilence, and Virginia. A very tough schedule but it is for much of the ACC. Clemson, for instance, kicks off at Texas A&Mm coached by the guy many think Swinney ran out of the ACC, Florida State, and Boston College in Boston late in the season when they for some reason are always so much tougher. They should be a favorite for the NC playoffs but it is no cakewalk for them. My goals are more subdued: win a couple of games we have been dropkicking in the past, beat a couple of tough teams, and maybe get into the ACC championship and see what happens. That's pretty ambitious, and I'll stick with my 9-win, no ACC championship, but I am hoping.

Seems reasonable. Personally, I would like to beat Miami and Duke. I am getting really tired of lame excuses as to why we cannot beat those teams. Every year it is something different.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Seems reasonable. Personally, I would like to beat Miami and Duke. I am getting really tired of lame excuses as to why we cannot beat those teams. Every year it is something different.

Fwiw, I'm still working on what my excuse will be this year

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I know it is sacrilege to most on the board, but I have reached the boiling over point with Duke and I would almost rather beat the Smuggables more than Georgia. I can rationalize the factory, but Duke drives me nuts.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I know it is sacrilege to most on the board, but I have reached the boiling over point with Duke and I would almost rather beat the Smuggables more than Georgia. I can rationalize the factory, but Duke drives me nuts.
They have no football tradition, low attendance, terrible stadium, and average players. How are they better than us on most Saturdays?

2018 Its time to flush the Dukie!

Voltaire??

Georgia Tech Fan
Just about GT? Because I think uga will finish the season 8-4. There's no question that they have talent. But as we learned from 2014 to 2015, you cannot lose that much experience and leadership (almost all of their defensive starters and Wynn, Chubb, Blazevich, and Michel on offense) and expect to be in the same place the next year through reloading. That and you have to consider their QB roster is two guys (Fromm and Fields). If Fields ends up a bust like a lot of folks think, then they are one injury away from plummeting to 6-6 or worse. I think Roquan Smith is an irreplaceable player like how Shaq Mason was for us, so there will be a large drop off there. A team like South Carolina has a chance to expose them early and open the door for losses to LSU, Auburn, Florida, and Georgia Tech.
That would be absolutely lovely!

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I think our D will make a huge step forward and create turnovers in the final minute of at least 3 games this year that save wins. Also, 2 game winning FGs in the last minute. We will win those close games this year. With a tough schedule we go 10-4, including a loss in the ACC championship game.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I'm still working on what my excuse will be this year
Some variation of precipitation that will interfere with the intricate operation of our triple option attack. Could be rain, sleet, hail, snow, something as long as it is wet.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Duke hasn't been a patsy for a few years. Their record since 2013 is: 10-4, 9-4, 8-5, 4-8, 7-6. From 1990 until 2011 they only had one season with more than 4 wins. They aren't a factory, but they definitely have become competitive. Losing to them in 2003 was embarrassing, but they are a decent team now.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Duke hasn't been a patsy for a few years. Their record since 2013 is: 10-4, 9-4, 8-5, 4-8, 7-6. From 1990 until 2011 they only had one season with more than 4 wins. They aren't a factory, but they definitely have become competitive. Losing to them in 2003 was embarrassing, but they are a decent team now.

Yes, funny what good coaching can do even for the most downtrodden of football teams if given time by the fans.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

The duke , uva, and unc basketball programs are cash machines.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Duke did go to two Rose Bowls in 1939 and 1942(the 1942 Rose Bowl was in Durham) losing to USC 7-3 and to Oregon State 20-16;););););)

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Lol so you are trying to say it's not emberassing to lose to duke now? Wow you've got some low standards

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Duke did go to two Rose Bowls in 1939 and 1942(the 1942 Rose Bowl was in Durham) losing to USC 7-3 and to Oregon State 20-16;););););)

Maybe, but from 1966 to 2011, they only had 8 years in which they won more than 5 games. They only one more than 6 games 3 times in that period of 45 years. They were definitely a patsy team during that period. And that is a long period of time.