Blue. Pants.

GTFowler

Georgia Tech Fan
I've got to say it sucks big time going from perfect and unique uniforms like these below, to the navy garbage we have now.

4883672_Duke_v_Georgia_Tech.jpg
I had to do a double take.. I thought that was Vanderbilt for a second.... :rolleyes:

Am I doing it right?

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I also was attending GT when our trim color was black - I never knew blue was ever an option. I have to tell you that I do NOT know the trim (secondary) color history.

What I do know is our primary colors are old gold and white. Old gold is closer to the color of the current ND pants - our current gold is called "sand" by Adidas, and honestly, it is not close, in my opinion to the Ramblin' wreck color gold, which I thought was the "goal" of the new gold. I was disappointed with the gold they chose, BUT

If we wear our uniform colors, gold and white, even with this lighter shade, I am happy because at least it is "gold and white". I do not want to see us make blue a primary color. FYI - I like blue as a color as well, but it is not a primary GT color. We have always been unique in this, except over the past 20-30 years. Somehow, someway, people and apparel companies have tried to continue to move us to navy blue. It probably does not help that our Coach will not wear gold, only the navy blue, which he wore at GSU and at Navy.

Now, with all of that said, I am happy we are wearing the gold helmets this week at least. Also, if we win the games, it makes it easier to overlook these color concerns. I do not believe the uniform that we are wearing this week will do much for recruiting, but if it does, I will be happy to be wrong. We have a perfectly good GWG option, and I agree with those on this thread that say that is what we should wear for homecoming. Also, GGW or WGW would be satisfactory.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Got out my 1973 Blueprint. The trim sure looks black to me. I do not remember seeing jerseys on the field or in the bookstore for sale with any blue. If it was blue it was a very dark navy blue that was perceptibly black. We sure as heck didn't have blue pants, jerseys or helmets.

You don't know Bill Curry or you wouldn't make the statement you made. You also don't know the dire situation of the GTAA in 1980--and Bobby Dodd was much to blame for the situation. We were lucky to get Curry--who got things headed in the right direction. We'd be better off today if he had been hired as AD instead of Radakovich,

Otherwise, I don't know what you are suggesting. The success of Cremins and Ross had nothing to do with jersey colors. As I recall, Cremins teams wore black at times, although that was a long time ago and I could be mis-remembering.

It may look black in some book, but it was a big deal when Fulcher changed the trim to blue. And that is all it was - trim. But you are correct, it was dark. Many complained because it was an Auburn color. (As compared to using a ugag color!). But back then, I don’t recall a single game that Fulcher teams ever wore anything but G/W/G.

You don’t know who I know. I first met curry in 68. You don’t know the money my family gave towards the Edge building, or the fact my family gave a car to the GT President. You are the one not knowing. So a lecture to me about dire straights of the GTAA is ludicrous and illiterate.

Lucky to get curry? Steve Spurrier wanted the job. And we chose curry. Enough said.

Curry as A.D.? we would have gone bankrupt with a scheme similar to North American Thrift Notes.

And I am sure you, in your all knowing way, are familiar with the damn near disastrous situation we had in the program when curry was H.C. Care to share that?

Jersey colors? You are correct. Cremins and Ross were successful because they were great coaches. But people accepted the Blue because that is the color they chose, while curry had black. I would take Cremins and Ross decision making as coaches, in any matter, over curry anytime. Cremins teams never wore black, hewitts teams did sometimes.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Lotta tradition talk in this thread. Anyone want to tell me why these blue pants look good? I personally am having a hard time getting how it looks without seeing it on a person

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
What if they came out in RED and BLACK?

You mean what if Georgia Tech came out in red and black? Of course I'd cheer for Georgia Tech. That's the point. I don't care what they wear as long as they win!

"Well, we got our a$$ handed to us. But man we looked good in those traditional uniform colors that have changed each year for the past 20 years!"--You

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Might as well laugh.
Blue pants - wear blue jeans.
White Jersey - wear white out
Gold helmet- buy a foam Gt helmet.

I wonder if wife will do this with me.
We did at 14 Clemson, fsu and msu.

Oh! my maybe the saw us and decided the team should dress like us.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
It may look black in some book, but it was a big deal when Fulcher changed the trim to blue. And that is all it was - trim. But you are correct, it was dark. Many complained because it was an Auburn color. (As compared to using a ugag color!). But back then, I don’t recall a single game that Fulcher teams ever wore anything but G/W/G.

You don’t know who I know. I first met curry in 68. You don’t know the money my family gave towards the Edge building, or the fact my family gave a car to the GT President. You are the one not knowing. So a lecture to me about dire straights of the GTAA is ludicrous and illiterate.

Lucky to get curry? Steve Spurrier wanted the job. And we chose curry. Enough said.

Curry as A.D.? we would have gone bankrupt with a scheme similar to North American Thrift Notes.

And I am sure you, in your all knowing way, are familiar with the damn near disastrous situation we had in the program when curry was H.C. Care to share that?

Jersey colors? You are correct. Cremins and Ross were successful because they were great coaches. But people accepted the Blue because that is the color they chose, while curry had black. I would take Cremins and Ross decision making as coaches, in any matter, over curry anytime. Cremins teams never wore black, hewitts teams did sometimes.

Spurrier's only coaching experience at the time was as Pepper's assistant. Curry was an alum and Dodd recommended him. It's easy in hindsight to say Spurrier should have been hired, but not such an easy call at the time.

I was listening to the Mike and Mike talk show about a month ago. They did a phone interview with Curry. When Curry hung up, Mike Golic said "I love that man." He went on to say that other than his own father he had more respect for Bill Curry than anyone he knew. Why do certain Tech people blast Curry? Because he took a promotion--at Dodd's recommendation--to go to Alabama? Given the respective states of those programs at the time, any rational person would have done the same.

You are correct that the program had become, in the words of a mutual friend of mine and Curry's, a "country club" with regard to the players. Still, he left the program in better shape than he found it. You have to remember that in 1979 just before Curry came there was serious talk about dropping to Div 1-AA or even Div. 2. We were recruiting at that level. I remember Susan Phinney, an administrative assistant at the GTAA back then, telling me that she was the de facto recruiting coordinator in the late '70's. A key thing that Curry did was pick up recruiting. By 1985, we had a nationally ranked team that beat Michigan State in a bowl.

Curry would have overspent as AD, as Homer tended to do. But like Homer, he would have been a fund raiser. He has that ability. That's more than you can say for the 3 Stooges--Braine Radakovich and Bigfoot.

You are also correct about the G/W/G with Fulcher as we went away from the W/G/W of Carson. G/W/G home and away. If there was any blue, it was very hard to see it. I had a jersey from that era that was a loose replica. It definitely had black letters.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’m not certain Curry would have been a great AD. I am certain he’s a good man with a good, albeit liberal heart.

He without doubt helped us resurrect the football program. Back to back wins over the mutts mid 80s made life much more bearable as a young Tech fan.

Bad on me for contributing to derail. Let’s get some flat navy helmets with gold GT and roll. :D

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I’m not certain Curry would have been a great AD. I am certain he’s a good man with a good, albeit liberal heart.

He without doubt helped us resurrect the football program. Back to back wins over the mutts mid 80s made life much more bearable as a young Tech fan.

Bad on me for contributing to derail. Let’s get some flat navy helmets with gold GT and roll. :D

I've heard several times over the years that had Curry gotten the AD job in 2006, he would have brought Stansbury in as his right hand man. (Stansbury was at Oregon State at the time in a senior role). Who knows what would have happened, but they would have made a hell of a team. Had it come to fruition, Curry would probably be retired by now and Stansbury would be the AD.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Spurrier's only coaching experience at the time was as Pepper's assistant. Curry was an alum and Dodd recommended him. It's easy in hindsight to say Spurrier should have been hired, but not such an easy call at the time.

I was listening to the Mike and Mike talk show about a month ago. They did a phone interview with Curry. When Curry hung up, Mike Golic said "I love that man." He went on to say that other than his own father he had more respect for Bill Curry than anyone he knew. Why do certain Tech people blast Curry? Because he took a promotion--at Dodd's recommendation--to go to Alabama? Given the respective states of those programs at the time, any rational person would have done the same.

You are correct that the program had become, in the words of a mutual friend of mine and Curry's, a "country club" with regard to the players. Still, he left the program in better shape than he found it. You have to remember that in 1979 just before Curry came there was serious talk about dropping to Div 1-AA or even Div. 2. We were recruiting at that level. I remember Susan Phinney, an administrative assistant at the GTAA back then, telling me that she was the de facto recruiting coordinator in the late '70's. A key thing that Curry did was pick up recruiting. By 1985, we had a nationally ranked team that beat Michigan State in a bowl.

Curry would have overspent as AD, as Homer tended to do. But like Homer, he would have been a fund raiser. He has that ability. That's more than you can say for the 3 Stooges--Braine Radakovich and Bigfoot.

You are also correct about the G/W/G with Fulcher as we went away from the W/G/W of Carson. G/W/G home and away. If there was any blue, it was very hard to see it. I had a jersey from that era that was a loose replica. It definitely had black letters.

And after saying I didn't know curry, and had no idea of what was going on at the time, you still have no response to what else curry allowed on our sideline (although I will give him, Rice , or The Adm. credit for immediately fixing it). But since you know everything that happened, and have the ability to proclaim others knew nothing - please share.

And yes, a lot of old GT men probably did give money thx to curry coming back.

I happen to believe spurrier was then and will always be considered a better coach.

Don't really care what Dodd, or anybody else told him to do, Thankful he left so Rice could hire a real football coach after inheriting curry from Weaver.

Especially in no way could care any less what some numb nuts tv people think.

Don't like the blue pants but don't care. As I have said, if the goal is to make blue a primary color just be honest about it.

As for Dodd, the athletic director, I would consider his leadership a curse. He damn near killed us.