Blue. Pants.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
It's obviously a long time since the 60s, but during Dodd's days at Tech, our uniforms were indeed one of the most recognizable and appreciated uniforms in the country. Not winning consistently draws the attention elsewhere And it's not winning that has caused people to forget the status we once had or not even know about us at all now. I'm not sure why anyone even today, however, would confuse us with ND. I don't know how often ND wears white jerseys and gold pants, but the image of ND football is certainly not that. Even when they wear white and gold, there is plenty of green on the uniforms (numerals, half-sleeve "undershirts", stripes, etc), but their number one uniform is consistently blue jerseys with gold pants. Although at least once last year they wore "Knute Rockne memorial uniforms" which were white and gold with blue numerals, that was apparently a special uniform. They also sometimes wear all white, all green, green and gold, maybe even green and blue. When we resort to adding blue to our uniforms, it seems to me that we are saying we are not unique and that we are happy with looking like ND or Pitt, or countless other schools for whom blue is a PRIMARY color. Win or lose, I want us to be unique and recognizable to those who do know about us and think the image is important. When I say that I don't care what the players have to say about it, I am saying that the players should be more concerned with coming together as a unit and demonstrating that on the field, which IMO they sure didn't do yesterday, nor for many games over the past two years. If that offends anyone on here, or any players, for that matter, then so be it; that's your or their prerogative, just as it is mine to say what I think. If the team played consistently from week to week and year to year and won games that they are fully capable of winning, then I might care what they had to say about uniforms. Until then, sorry, but I don't.
Yesterday GT looked like Navy:rolleyes:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It's taken me a while to come around to this way of thinking, but watching all the shades of gold worn by the fans it occurred to me that it isn't so much a matter of change vs. tradition - our tradition is change. We've worn every shade and hue of gold through the years. We even have three different hues of gold in one uniform, now. The gold GT on the white helmet is a greenish gold, The gold numbers on the white jersey are a tannish hue, and the gold pants and helmet are of a yellower hue of gold. We've worn "T.V. blue" (as I've heard it called) in the 1990 Championship game, and dark navy yesterday. We've worn a still different tone of blue as far back as the '40's.

So all hail the chaotic, chameleo-morphic uniforms. I've decided that the uni I have heretofore despised as lacking basic continuity of color I will now embrace as our monument to our tradition of perpetual transformation - the present white helmet with gold GT, gold pants and white jersey with gold numbers, the one one where we wear three different colors of gold simultaneously trimmed in navy.

I applaud your effort in putting this post together! :D

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It's obviously a long time since the 60s, but during Dodd's days at Tech, our uniforms were indeed one of the most recognizable and appreciated uniforms in the country. Not winning consistently draws the attention elsewhere And it's not winning that has caused people to forget the status we once had or not even know about us at all now. I'm not sure why anyone even today, however, would confuse us with ND. I don't know how often ND wears white jerseys and gold pants, but the image of ND football is certainly not that. Even when they wear white and gold, there is plenty of green on the uniforms (numerals, half-sleeve "undershirts", stripes, etc), but their number one uniform is consistently blue jerseys with gold pants. Although at least once last year they wore "Knute Rockne memorial uniforms" which were white and gold with blue numerals, that was apparently a special uniform. They also sometimes wear all white, all green, green and gold, maybe even green and blue. When we resort to adding blue to our uniforms, it seems to me that we are saying we are not unique and that we are happy with looking like ND or Pitt, or countless other schools for whom blue is a PRIMARY color. Win or lose, I want us to be unique and recognizable to those who do know about us and think the image is important. When I say that I don't care what the players have to say about it, I am saying that the players should be more concerned with coming together as a unit and demonstrating that on the field, which IMO they sure didn't do yesterday, nor for many games over the past two years. If that offends anyone on here, or any players, for that matter, then so be it; that's your or their prerogative, just as it is mine to say what I think. If the team played consistently from week to week and year to year and won games that they are fully capable of winning, then I might care what they had to say about uniforms. Until then, sorry, but I don't.

So I'll ask you again. Why should they care what you think since you obviously have so much disdain for them? And do you really think that the fact that they comment at all on the uniforms takes away any time from practice or focus on the games on the field? Really?

I'm not disparaging your opinion about the uniforms. You are welcome to your opinion of whether you like them or not and I wouldn't even try to tell you that you should like them. I think you ascribe far too much underlying meaning to the uniform choices GT makes. I'm confident in saying that nobody thinks "ooh let's worry about whether we look like ND or Pitt or anyone else wearing blue." I think they are more likely thinking "those would be snazzy looking and cool and blue is one of our colors to choose from." I don't like every combination and, personally, my favorite unis were the blue tops with the white pants we wore back in the Bobby Ross days. But I also like the white tops with gold pants and the actual gold tops with white pants. And the black tops with white or gold pants. I think there's probably only one uniform that I had a real negative reaction to and that was the urine colored tops.

As for the 60's... yeah, it's been a long time. And my point about ND is exactly that. When people see gold they do NOT think about GT football. My comment about confusing us with ND is that if anyone sees white and gold there is virtually no chance that they think "oh yeah, there's GT." Even though ND only wears the white about 25-40% of the time (and yes, they wear white tops some every year) they more likely think of ND football because of the gold. Usually when they are away they wear white tops and gold pants. Their number one uniform is blue tops and gold pants when they are the home team or are the ones with the choice of what to wear. ND has a national following and even when they are bad people know one of their main colors is gold.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's taken me a while to come around to this way of thinking, but watching all the shades of gold worn by the fans it occurred to me that it isn't so much a matter of change vs. tradition - our tradition is change. We've worn every shade and hue of gold through the years. We even have three different hues of gold in one uniform, now. The gold GT on the white helmet is a greenish gold, The gold numbers on the white jersey are a tannish hue, and the gold pants and helmet are of a yellower hue of gold. We've worn "T.V. blue" (as I've heard it called) in the 1990 Championship game, and dark navy yesterday. We've worn a still different tone of blue as far back as the '40's.

So all hail the chaotic, chameleo-morphic uniforms. I've decided that the uni I have heretofore despised as lacking basic continuity of color I will now embrace as our monument to our tradition of perpetual transformation - the present white helmet with gold GT, gold pants and white jersey with gold numbers, the one one where we wear three different colors of gold simultaneously trimmed in navy.

My date at this game was not an experienced Tech fan. At one point, she leaned over and asked, “Why does everyone wear a different shade of gold?”

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yes I thought I was watching Navy and not Georgia Tech. Just wear the traditional GT uniform. It is the best looking one on the planet, why screw with that.

Go Jackets!

When I watch LSU, I know I’m watching LSU. Same for Bama. Same for UT. Classic uniforms. We change ours so much, we don’t even know who we are. Which fits the state of our football program.

So I'll ask you again. Why should they care what you think since you obviously have so much disdain for them? And do you really think that the fact that they comment at all on the uniforms takes away any time from practice or focus on the games on the field? Really?

I'm not disparaging your opinion about the uniforms. You are welcome to your opinion of whether you like them or not and I wouldn't even try to tell you that you should like them. I think you ascribe far too much underlying meaning to the uniform choices GT makes. I'm confident in saying that nobody thinks "ooh let's worry about whether we look like ND or Pitt or anyone else wearing blue." I think they are more likely thinking "those would be snazzy looking and cool and blue is one of our colors to choose from." I don't like every combination and, personally, my favorite unis were the blue tops with the white pants we wore back in the Bobby Ross days. But I also like the white tops with gold pants and the actual gold tops with white pants. And the black tops with white or gold pants. I think there's probably only one uniform that I had a real negative reaction to and that was the urine colored tops.

As for the 60's... yeah, it's been a long time. And my point about ND is exactly that. When people see gold they do NOT think about GT football. My comment about confusing us with ND is that if anyone sees white and gold there is virtually no chance that they think "oh yeah, there's GT." Even though ND only wears the white about 25-40% of the time (and yes, they wear white tops some every year) they more likely think of ND football because of the gold. Usually when they are away they wear white tops and gold pants. Their number one uniform is blue tops and gold pants when they are the home team or are the ones with the choice of what to wear. ND has a national following and even when they are bad people know one of their main colors is gold.
I don't think they SHOULD care what i think, anymore than I should care what they think. But I also don't think official decisions, no matter how petty they may seem to some, should be based on what the players "like." Maybe if someone had explained to them why you simply shouldn't wear blue when you face a team whose primary color is blue, they would have thought differently. Maybe if someone had explained to them why traditions matter at any school, they would be more likely to choose to stay with some combination of white and gold. Maybe someone has said those things, and they simply don't care. I find that last one a little hard to believe though. I have no idea what thought process they used in stating their preferences, but common sense should prevail, and I don't think we should ever wear blue when blue is the dominant color in the other team's uniforms, even if it is a different shade of blue. I personally think that someone should have stepped up and said that. It would be equally stupid to wear blue when (if) we play Navy or Pitt or UVA or Auburn or BYU or whoever. Now when both teams on the field have gold or white as a primary color, then we should wear (and the players should be encouraged to embrace) whatever combination best says Georgia Tech, and to hell with the other team. IMO opinion blue unis in any fashion do NOT say Georgia Tech. I hope you have noticed that I have never singled out any player by name, unlike many on these threads, saying such and such a player sucks or doesn't deserve to play, so I don't have any disdain for our players, either individually or as a team. And no, I don't think their comments take away any time from practice, but it MIGHT misdirect, even indirectly, their actual focus on a game.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
“To go along with their new commitment to the head coach, the Cowboys introduced new uniforms in ’64. [Tex] Schramm, always keenly attuned to images and appearances, was displeased with the old look. He borrowed from several sources to arrive at the new look. “I wanted to get away from white pants,” he said. “I liked Green Bay’s uniform, with the gold pants. Then I saw Georgia Tech. They also had gold pants, but they had a real good looking white jersey with the numbers on top of the shoulder pads rather than on the arms. I thought that look was terrific. I copied Georgia Tech for the Cowboys uniform.” - Tex Schramm

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
It was a horrible look. It was a clown looking uni.

It is fine for players to have input, but they should have some competent, adult supervision.

G/B/W, G/W/G, G/G/W, W/W/W, W/G/W - who cares as long as it looks classy.

We, at this moment, are not capable of doing the most simple of tasks correctly.

Would not be surprised at all to see us wear W/B/B at some point this season.

And more attention will be given that than S/T.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
For the record I really didn’t like the navy pants look. At all. But I just don’t understand how butthurt some get when we don’t wear their particular “favorite” look.

Good gawd have some cheese with all that whine. If we could convert the amount of whine in our fanbase to noise in the stadium, opposing teams would have to use sign language to communicate during games.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly. There is a damn website on ESPN and an associated twitter account directly responsible for talking about uniforms and updating the fans on what various teams are doing.
Someone mentioned one day on one of the threads that doing weekly reveals of unis was stupid and a waste of time and that the "big" schools don't do that. And while it might be a waste to many, I think it's something just to get the kids, recruits and fans talking. You have to have something to talk about on social media to engage your fans...and what the team is wearing makes for a fun, short video people watch. As for the "other schools" - friends of mine follow LSU, Ole Miss, and TN - and they ALL do reveals. I'm betting most of them do - I've gotten sucked in to many articles that talk about the uniforms of teams and the changes - it's just trivia to enjoy I guess.

I guess for me - I look for something to be positive about during a bad year. I was really bummed before the Clemson game, and when they pulled out the Navy shirts, I was seriously surprised that I got all excited about it! I couldn't explain it - seemed like silly nonsense, but still, I thought, hey, if I'm that excited about, it, maybe it will fire the players up! Unfortunately, it didn't seem to help that game or the Duke game. So maybe it is a waste of time, but this threat has 18 pages of comments, so ... it's something people like to comment on which means fan engagement!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
When I watch LSU, I know I’m watching LSU. Same for Bama. Same for UT. Classic uniforms. We change ours so much, we don’t even know who we are. Which fits the state of our football program.

Funny you mention LSU

D77FDE1C-98FD-4599-89C6-32AF01344BCF.jpeg