Biggest need for 2016 (offense edition)

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Oh I definitely won't be holding my breath. We all know what we're gunna get with PJ. He does what he does and if you don't like it, well, get over it. This is his biggest weakness to me.

I don't want to hear, he tried new things with Vad and it didn't work. First, that offense looked a lot better than the one this year (6 ppg and 50 ypg better). Second, I've heard many good coaches and leaders along the way, when talking about making changes or transitions say that sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.

Do I want a complete overhaul of the offense? No. Would I like to be more multiple so that when we can't get something going we have other "options" to turn to? Yes. I'd also love to see us simplify the offense so that it doesn't take a team full of 4th and 5th years guys to run like it's supposed to. We have talked repeatedly over the past few years about having to simplify the defense so they can play fast. Why does this not apply to the offense?

Right -----><----- with everything you just posted Bruh. For the life of me I don't understand why every passing play with the 5'10 JT has to be a drop back pass. CPJ has plays out the gun in his playbook! Absolutely makes 0 sense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Right -----><----- with everything you just posted Bruh. For the life of me I don't understand why every passing play with the 5'10 JT has to be a drop back pass. CPJ has plays out the gun in his playbook! Absolutely makes 0 sense.

scrambling to use jets speed.

Early this past year (nd) we tried the roll pocket right for a fake pass run jet back to left and we got slammed - the backdoor is closed. 2014 this worked in Orange bowl and acc and uga.
With the gt standard pass play role right - jet has one side of field where he can't scramble. He can try to step up or cut back but that is usually done when they are chasing him. He just guesses or retreats to throw it away.

If we value jets running as part of a pass play - perhaps starting as a shotgun would give him more time decide, fake blitzers.

slugboy

Staff member
Is there an offense designed where a team should get in 3rd and 15?
No, but the air raid offenses may be more feast or famine. Instead of 3 yds--4 yds--4 yds, they would have a pattern more like 0 yds--12 yds--0 yds--8 yds. Pass oriented offenses will average about the same number of yards, but they'll usually come in bigger chunks. You'll see more 15 yard gains in those offenses, and more sacks, etc. So, if you just looked at the number of 15 yd plays, you'd think a pass-oriented offense would do better in third-and-long.
It's not the same thing as your odds of converting 3rd and long, but it looks like it. Those offenses probably do convert more thirds-and-long, but they probably see a lot more of them.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Uniforms idenify with the school......when I see what we are wearing now I wonder who is out there.........

Sorry to sound ageist here but that belief is really only held by old fans and fans of schools like Penn St. Heck even ND wears crazy alternates.

"Tech wears White" is pretty high up there when comparing other schools and their uniforms.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to sound ageist here but that belief is really only held by old fans and fans of schools like Penn St. Heck even ND wears crazy alternates.

"Tech wears White" is pretty high up there when comparing other schools and their uniforms.
Yeah now we wear a differnet uni every year.............and yep some beliefs from old fans who send money should be at least looked at.Guess when we join another WFL we will fit right in.........we are Tech not tlhe Ducks.....course that is my take and I am 68 yrs old so I do fit your profile.

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
I finally broke down and bought White lights for the Christmas tree this year (versus my 50 year tradition of Candy Colored). And am embracing the change!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
To get away from uniforms and get back to the OP:

What this offense needs is the same that the defense and ST needs: TALENT

This staff was 18-7 in 2008-2009 with Gailey's talent.

They are 35-37 in the six years since(2010-2015), with the kids they recruited.

Any questions?

This is a poor recruiting staff. We can debate the reasons why, but there is no doubt about their inability to recruit--especially the coaches who have a Navy staff pedigree.

My opinion is that laziness has a lot to do with it. Recruiting is hard work, and has to be done 24/7/365 in today's football. The HC has a high dollar guaranteed contract. His Navy and Hawaii buddies know that they will not get fired no matter what. Further, they were hired by an athletic board that is dominated by academics who love the concept of tenure.

What motivation is there to work hard?

I knew Bobby Ross and I know how hard he worked--365. He demanded the same of his assistants and his players. I don't know Johnson, but from what I observe, he is no Bobby Ross when it comes to work ethic.

The B-back that the OP wants can get hurt in one play, as we saw this year. A good coach adapts scheme to talent in college football. You can't get on the waiver wire like the NFL. You play with what you have. Ralph Friedgen could adapt. This staff does not seem to be able to do that. The alternative is to recruit to scheme so that attrition is not an issue. This staff does not seem to be able, or perhaps willing, to do that.

(The W/L numbers are FBS only.)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am

Any questions?

This is a poor recruiting staff. We can debate the reasons why, but there is no doubt about their inability to recruit--especially the coaches who have a Navy staff pedigree.

My opinion is that laziness has a lot to do with it. Recruiting is hard work, and has to be done 24/7/365 in today's football. The HC has a high dollar guaranteed contract. His Navy and Hawaii buddies know that they will not get fired no matter what. Further, they were hired by an athletic board that is dominated by academics who love the concept of tenure.

I knew Bobby Ross and I know how hard he worked--365. He demanded the same of his assistants and his players. I don't know Johnson, but from what I observe, he is no Bobby Ross when it comes to work ethic.

The B-back that the OP wants can get hurt in one play, as we saw this year. A good coach adapts scheme to talent in college football. You can't get on the waiver wire like the NFL. You play with what you have. Ralph Friedgen could adapt. This staff does not seem to be able to do that. The alternative is to recruit to scheme so that attrition is not an issue. This staff does not seem to be able, or perhaps willing, to do that.

I am pretty sure it was 17-7 against FBS in 2008-2009. 20 total wins in those two seasons (GW, JAX St twice). However, with that correction, your point still stands.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I am

I am pretty sure it was 17-7 against FBS in 2008-2009. 20 total wins in those two seasons (GW, JAX St twice). However, with that correction, your point still stands.

Thank you. I had never noticed that before! Some people like to point to the number of wins Johnson has posted at GT. They count his 10 wins in 8 years against FCS teams! That is far more than any other GT coach. Gailey, for example, played 3 FCS teams in 6 years-0.5 FCS wins per year. Johnson has 1.25 FCS wins per year.

We have an outstanding FCS coach, as his GT and Ga. Southern records show. Too bad we play in a Power 5 conference with a Power 5 annual rival.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While the numbers, in terms of w-l records, you present are basically true, I really don't agree that we are less talented. Along the DL? Maybe, but other than that I am not so sure. Morgan Burnett may have been the best safety in CPJ's tenure and Bey Bey the best WR, but not dramatically so. IMHO, Smelter and Waller were probably a better tandem than whoever was playing along with DT. I do think Gailey had a good eye for talent and I liked him as a coach, but CPJ and staff can spot good players too. Milton and White were the best CB tandem. Dwyer was a really good BB, but even his production was eclipsed by last year's tandem. CPJ's LB recruits Quayshawn Nealy, Brandon Watts, and Jabari Hunt were the best LB trio with PJ Davis tossed in there too. Irwin Smith and Robbie Godhigh were the two best ABs. We may even find that the host of players we have there now will prove to raise the bar even further. JT is the best QB and it really isn't close. I think TW was better than JN, but I acknowledge there is disagreement there with a lot of fans.

This is just me talking here, but I don't really respect the argument surrounding CPJ winning with other coach's players. Wins are wins. We couldn't even snap the football and keep it off the ground that first spring practice. Johnson inherited an inexperienced QB and a ragtag OL and found a way to make it work.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The biggest offensive need is a dominant offensive line. It all starts in the trenches and I hope above CPJ is out recruiting his tail off for some 2 or 3 replacements.

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
I find these parsing of schedules based on who recruited who to be sort of like framing a debate Question to achieve a predetermined result.. A better stat to me is 25%. (Number of major bowls divided by number of seasons)

Mack

Helluva Engineer

Any questions?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yep talent can get you out of trouble on the sidelines no doubt and we dont have it.Just looked and we are 67 in recruiting in nation at this time....Yes no doubt for the youngsters to learn ....Ross was driven and took no prisoners..we dont have that intensity now nor the athletes as he did...wish he would come back.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
While the numbers, in terms of w-l records, you present are basically true, I really don't agree that we are less talented. Along the DL? Maybe, but other than that I am not so sure. Morgan Burnett may have been the best safety in CPJ's tenure and Bey Bey the best WR, but not dramatically so. IMHO, Smelter and Waller were probably a better tandem than whoever was playing along with DT. I do think Gailey had a good eye for talent and I liked him as a coach, but CPJ and staff can spot good players too. Milton and White were the best CB tandem. Dwyer was a really good BB, but even his production was eclipsed by last year's tandem. CPJ's LB recruits Quayshawn Nealy, Brandon Watts, and Jabari Hunt were the best LB trio with PJ Davis tossed in there too. Irwin Smith and Robbie Godhigh were the two best ABs. We may even find that the host of players we have there now will prove to raise the bar even further. JT is the best QB and it really isn't close. I think TW was better than JN, but I acknowledge there is disagreement there with a lot of fans.

This is just me talking here, but I don't really respect the argument surrounding CPJ winning with other coach's players. Wins are wins. We couldn't even snap the football and keep it off the ground that first spring practice. Johnson inherited an inexperienced QB and a ragtag OL and found a way to make it work.
Always said his best job of recruiting was his first year and in my mind only he inherieted a great bunh of talent........I will put up Chans folksvs PJs ....Chan could recruit but his mentality was Pros and College players

Any questions?

Again you are spot on..........no argument from me.........