Biggest need for 2016 (offense edition)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Boy we have a lot of them so this could get interesting and probably splitting hairs about which is most critical.

I'll say my biggest hope/wish for 2016 is a Bback that can freeze the MLB.

I know we need OL, wr and Aback, but I think the most critical for sustaining drives and keeping the chains moving is a consistent dive play. Not only does that put us at second and medium/short, it opens up the edge by MAKING THE DADGUM MIKE STAY THE FREAK HOME.

Keeping the mike in the middle gives us back our numbers advantage on the edge and makes our wide game work again, even with less than perfect execution.

If I had to pick a second most wanted, I'd go with a wr that could put the corner on his heals. Make the dude play off and backpedal so we could run some comeback routes on the sideline. But I said "biggest need" so I'm getting a little greedy.

I'd also say speed at Aback, but I'm already confident we're getting that so no need to ask.

Improve skill play and OL play will miraculously get better. Watch.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Boy we have a lot of them so this could get interesting and probably splitting hairs about which is most critical.

I'll say my biggest hope/wish for 2016 is a Bback that can freeze the MLB.

I know we need OL, wr and Aback, but I think the most critical for sustaining drives and keeping the chains moving is a consistent dive play. Not only does that put us at second and medium/short, it opens up the edge by MAKING THE DADGUM MIKE STAY THE FREAK HOME.

Keeping the mike in the middle gives us back our numbers advantage on the edge and makes our wide game work again, even with less than perfect execution.

If I had to pick a second most wanted, I'd go with a wr that could put the corner on his heals. Make the dude play off and backpedal so we could run some comeback routes on the sideline. But I said "biggest need" so I'm getting a little greedy.

I'd also say speed at Aback, but I'm already confident we're getting that so no need to ask.

Improve skill play and OL play will miraculously get better. Watch.
My friend will agree but think we need a more diverisified offense to get to the corner.Think the dive is critical in this offense but seems to me the big uns on the other side have clogged us up and yeah we make the Mike look great.Second we need to throw short out of the backfield to the flats.With our speed its hard for the outside guys to beat us to the flats .Third we need to run the pitch better.JT is good athlete but this year he got hammered and didnt look all that comfortable with the pitch.Course the way we blocked would make anybody uncomfortable.......Last we need ....you guessed it Some Dodd unis....Merry Christmas my friend and stay in touch.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
It's really multifactoral, imo.

Holding onto the football was a HUGE problem
Pass blocking was a problem
Consistency run blocking from ALL positions (OL, WR, AB, BB) was a problem
Lack of take it to the house speed at AB was a problem
BB adjustments/presnap reads were a problem

One thing I'd like to see from JT next year is better care of the football. I expected to see a jump this year in how he holds the ball and being more conservative on the pitch. To his credit though I saw him throw the ball away more on scrambles then try for a desperate completion more likely to end in an INT.

Overall though I'm not worried about JT. His first year--like Logan Thomas' first year--he was surrounded by a veteran cast of characters. Logan Thomas never looked the same after his first year, and JT won't either--unless the guys around him step it up. I felt during the year JT was getting too much blame for stuff he couldn't control. But that is the nature of the position.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
IMO - We need the releasing linemen to get up field and not squeezed as easily. If they could do that and take a good angle on the LBs, this O will explode.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
All I will say is that this thread will have more agreement in it than any other in history, provided there isn't one already in existence called "uga sucks."

But, yeah, I'd be good with one of the receivers becoming a true number one.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
My friend will agree but think we need a more diverisified offense to get to the corner.Think the dive is critical in this offense but seems to me the big uns on the other side have clogged us up and yeah we make the Mike look great.Second we need to throw short out of the backfield to the flats.With our speed its hard for the outside guys to beat us to the flats .Third we need to run the pitch better.JT is good athlete but this year he got hammered and didnt look all that comfortable with the pitch.Course the way we blocked would make anybody uncomfortable.......Last we need ....you guessed it Some Dodd unis....Merry Christmas my friend and stay in touch.
I like those Dodd Unis!

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
We did a LOT of #2 on offense this past season. :poop:
tumblr_mrucl41rFK1sngrz3o1_400.gif

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Right. Our biggest problem this year is that we never set the dive. Since we didn't have anybody who could get that 4 - 5 ypc at BB consistently, the opposing DCs ignored the dive and sent their MLBs to the run side as soon as they figured out what it was. Hence, of course, all the counter options we ran this year and the genesis of the problems we had breaking our ABs out consistently. Having a BB who can make the Mikes stay home (please, Lord above, let us find one) would make all the difference in how the O works. One regret = too bad Skov didn't have a year to learn the position. He might have been what we needed if he had had some real practice before he took the job over.

Btw, I thought our ABs did pretty well, given their limitations. One of our other big problems this year was that pitch relationships got confused because, once Snoddy and Searcy were injured, none of the other ABs could really keep up with JT. At the middle of the year, he often looked like "Where's my pitch guy?" Then he slowed down and, of course, so did the entire O. This will not be a problem next year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Improved Blocking. OL especially.
Play the biggest threat at BBack from game one instead of waiting until half the season is over.
A passing game that is somewhere in the neighborhood of competent.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I agree, a solid B-back in the mold of Laskey will make this offense work. 3 yards minimum runs, ball security and a strong blocker who knows his assignments.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Right. Our biggest problem this year is that we never set the dive. Since we didn't have anybody who could get that 4 - 5 ypc at BB consistently, the opposing DCs ignored the dive and sent their MLBs to the run side as soon as they figured out what it was. Hence, of course, all the counter options we ran this year and the genesis of the problems we had breaking our ABs out consistently. Having a BB who can make the Mikes stay home (please, Lord above, let us find one) would make all the difference in how the O works. One regret = too bad Skov didn't have a year to learn the position. He might have been what we needed if he had had some real practice before he took the job over.

Btw, I thought our ABs did pretty well, given their limitations. One of our other big problems this year was that pitch relationships got confused because, once Snoddy and Searcy were injured, none of the other ABs could really keep up with JT. At the middle of the year, he often looked like "Where's my pitch guy?" Then he slowed down and, of course, so did the entire O. This will not be a problem next year.
Skov had two really banged up shoulders that hampered his game more than most know.