Bigfoot, logical fallacies, Sims, Reggie Ball, and Game Prep

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, it's one thing saying "I think this would have happened in these circumstances." It's another thing entirely to say "This 100% would have happened in these circumstances." The person who was challenged on the Abanakanda made a definitive statement of certainty that Pitt would have won, and then fell on their sword about it. The statements here were generally "I think we would have won with a healthy Sims" and it was in relation to Sims as a QB vs the backups.

What I don't understand is why we can't get to "I think X" and another person saying "I disagree, I think Y" without it devolving into WW3. I'm as guilty as anyone about this, but it is pretty much par for the course on the site all sports forums.
Go back and read the thread. The comments had a little more certainty than "I think..."

And I wholeheartedly agree with your second point, I should not have my fandom questioned or be called a name just because I challenged an unprovable assertion of what they believe would have happened.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
But more people would have stayed to watch that happen.

Love the big fella. His progress from last year to now is encouraging and I see him as an anchor on the line the next 2 years. Even the big nasty in the middle if we go 3-4 defense with the new regime.
I’m a sicko* and I’d have probably been all in for Zeek at wildcat if he could catch the snap

*proven by my watching the entire game other than the fumble on the 6

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Elliot had his team’s all time leading TD passer while we had a back up who might have given the single worst QB performance in our history and we still almost won. Any fans trying to claim Elliot was “better” is laughable. Elliot and UVA suck. So do we. The difference is we have an interim HC running a team that has been so bad the last three years that the HC got fired during the season with our starting QB hurt. We’re supposed to suck. He’s supposed to be the savior for UVA and was gifted the school’s all time leading TD passer for his “rebuild” year. He is awful.

JacketFan137

Banned
Elliot had his team’s all time leading TD passer while we had a back up who might have given the single worst QB performance in our history and we still almost won. Any fans trying to claim Elliot was “better” is laughable. Elliot and UVA suck. So do we. The difference is we have an interim HC running a team that has been so bad the last three years that the HC got fired during the season with our starting QB hurt. We’re supposed to suck. He’s supposed to be the savior for UVA and was gifted the school’s all time leading TD passer for his “rebuild” year. He is awful.
clemson people were glad to see elliot leave. i hope the next guy we hire is not in that boat because i feel like fanbases get that right more often than not

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
(1) I am not impressed by Elliot as a HC
(2) Sims as he was last night would NOT have beaten UVa if he had played the whole game
(3) Sims in 100% health might have beaten UVa, but we'll never know, now will we?

We're all entitled to our opinions, but some of you guys just need to recognize when the other font is not going to be convinced and MOVE ON PLEASE, for the sake of the rest of us if nothing else!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think a 100% healthy Sims would have given GT a better than 50% chance to win the game last night.
Sims was clearly not 100% healthy and didn't play well before he left the game.
He was in for 24 snaps, GT had 81 yds, 5 1st downs and 0 points during that time. He ran the ball 3 times for 1 yd (with a long of 5). He was 6-11 for 47 yards and an INT passing (with half that yardage on one play).
He was not playing very well before he left. We certainly would have had a better chance to win if he was not knocked out, but it was far from certain we would have won if he had stayed in.

UVA was putting alot of guys in the box and basically daring us to throw all game (against both GT QB's) and it seldom looked like we could be consistent enough to make that work.

slugboy

Staff member

UVA was putting alot of guys in the box and basically daring us to throw all game (against both GT QB's) and it seldom looked like we could be consistent enough to make that work.
I expect that to be every DC’s plan until we prove we can make them pay for it. Especially Miami and FSU

And special teams coaches will send the house on punts for the same reason. The risk vs reward is too favorable

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
His team was more prepared for last night's game than ours. That actually looked like they watched film, developed a game plan, and practiced that plan.

I am not sure what our offense did the past 10 days, but it does not appear we did anything in preparation of last night's game.
They figured it out very quickly that Sims couldn't run. After he went down, they were daring our QB to throw. They shut down the run and our QB couldn't scramble. It was very ugly. The D hung in and fought until the end. Had a chance late driving for a tie but dropped a very catchable ball on fourth down that would have been a first. A really bad night for the Jackets. Probably lights out for this staff to be here next year.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m a sicko* and I’d have probably been all in for Zeek at wildcat if he could catch the snap

*proven by my watching the entire game other than the fumble on the 6
As fans, we couldn't help but watch the entire game. As brutal as it was, we were one big (magical?) play away from having an option of tying or going for 2 to win, and it was not technically over until the last play of the game (no comment on that).

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This game reminded me of some of Dodd's games when the O was misfiring with UVA posing as Tech. It was old fashioned "field position and play D football".

Why did Tech lose the game and UVA win? Neither team had great field position in the game consistently, but Tech got pinned on our end way too much. We also fumbled - predictable, given our field position - on the 9. Great D - and it was - can only do so much when the team finds itself up against its goal line for the whole 4th quarter. To UVA's credit, they knew what to do when that happened and our #2 QB came in. But, imho, this was a game where punting and field position made the most difference in the result.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Sims had played much better since the coaching change.
Sims that can’t run isn’t sims. We built this years offense on him taking the inside lane with hall getting to the edge. It opened up the offense, despite the bad OL ,when he started running through arm tackles.

We can debate how good he should be playing with his talent and experience. We can talk about the coaching staff failing to plan for this inevitability: that our running qb would be dinged for parts of or entire games.

But there is no doubt now that he’s the best we got right now.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Right now the way to beat our limited offense is to play press/tight man coverage on our WRs and load the LOS to shut down our running game. Simply force whoever is our QB to make accurate throws to tight windows or hit deep throws over top of the DB. Not a strength of our QBs or the protection they get from the O line, TEs or RBs.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
we looked bad but they didn’t look any better. we at least had the excuse of a backup qb. they had arguably the best returning qb in the division and have played like **** all year
I was at the game and I cannot recall a game where both teams were so bad. In my section, fans were saying that ESPN is probably taking the game off of the air and replacing it with an old sports documentary to save sports fans from having to continue to watch it. Virginia was so bad that I kept thinking we would come back and win….but it turns out we were even worse.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, if we lose this week at FSU and then at uga, but win the rest, we will be 6-6 and you'd have to think he'd be in contention at that point. My preference is still a completely new regime, but I'd entertain Key if he gets us to a bowl.
This is a pretty steep hill now, though. UVA was the low hanging fruit. This was the easy win on the schedule and we absolutely screwed the pooch.

If Key gets us to a bowl, I think you have to at least entertain him with an interview. There's no denying that that the team has responded well with him at the helm. The question is whether they responded to Key's leadership or responded to the removal of Collins.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I expect that to be every DC’s plan until we prove we can make them pay for it. Especially Miami and FSU

And special teams coaches will send the house on punts for the same reason. The risk vs reward is too favorable
Pitt did it too. If they feel they can cover our receivers for 2 seconds, everyone can feel confident that we can't pass pro long enough to prevent pressure. Miami and FSU have the athletes and speed to go man coverage and blitz until the cows come home. The only saving grace we had vs Pitt was Sims' ability to scramble. If he's out (or not able to run) this weekend, we're going to be in a tough situation.

Once again, it all comes down to the trenches. If we can block, it makes everything work. When we can't, nothing works. It sounds so simple!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is a pretty steep hill now, though. UVA was the low hanging fruit. This was the easy win on the schedule and we absolutely screwed the pooch.

If Key gets us to a bowl, I think you have to at least entertain him with an interview. There's no denying that that the team has responded well with him at the helm. The question is whether they responded to Key's leadership or responded to the removal of Collins.
I believe Sims' ability to make plays and our improved defense got us the wins over Pitt and Duke. The defense against UVA was good enough to win, but without Sims our offense was unable to make plays. We all knew the matchup with UVA would be tough for our OL and it was. But, the reality we face is that Sims may not be able to play for a while. Key stated as much in his presser when he said they have to get Gibson ready and find the things he can actual do well enough for us to succeed. I do not expect we will get noticeably better unless Sims returns and is healthy.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Key stated as much in his presser when he said they have to get Gibson ready and find the things he can actual do well enough for us to succeed.
If he can find anything Gibson can do well enough for us to succeed he should be handed the Head coaching job not year.
But if my job was on resting on Gibson, I would update my resume.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Right now the way to beat our limited offense is to play press/tight man coverage on our WRs and load the LOS to shut down our running game. Simply force whoever is our QB to make accurate throws to tight windows or hit deep throws over top of the DB. Not a strength of our QBs or the protection they get from the O line, TEs or RBs.
We will see that from this point forward. It’s going to be a tough row to hoe.

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
It boils down to coaching and having ALL the players prepared. I remember when Tech was playing VT and Nesbitt broke his arm and Tevin Washington came in as a backup. He was able to keep that game close even though we ended up losing. He was prepared enough by the coaching staff to lead the offense even if he didn't have much game experience at that point.