Bigfoot, logical fallacies, Sims, Reggie Ball, and Game Prep

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
what evidence do you have that sims wouldn’t run all over them if he was healthy? he was coming off two great rushing weeks against better teams. say what you want about his passing but denying his rushing ability and acting like he couldn’t have possibly been a contributor with his legs is just a tough argument to make. it seems more to be rooted in your opinion of sims as a player and not the football we have watched recently.
I never made any assertion. It also has nothing to do with my point

JacketFan137

Banned
Saying that we would have run all over UVA if Sims was not hurt is a logical fallacy. It is the fallacy of a single cause as well as the fallacy of slothful induction. Pointing that there is no evidence to prove such a point is not a logical fallacy. It is a counterpoint to the original flawed logical statement. You cannot make a logically flawed statement and then complain that the other person requiring you to prove such a statement is a logical fallacy. That is also a logical fallacy of logical fallacies.
at some point you have to recognize this is a fan football forum and people aren’t gonna be covering every possible angle of debate and covering up every possibly fallacy. we aren’t being graded on our assignments unless the mod team is about to drop mid term grades in a thread.

sims is a good runner. if his ankle was healthy he probably gets a lot of rushing yards and we win. that is not the ridiculous statement that you have painted it out to be. is it guaranteed he does it? not at all. but place forgive a fan for being optimistic and being biased toward the team they support lol

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Saying that we would have run all over UVA if Sims was not hurt is a logical fallacy. It is the fallacy of a single cause as well as the fallacy of slothful induction. Pointing that there is no evidence to prove such a point is not a logical fallacy. It is a counterpoint to the original flawed logical statement. You cannot make a logically flawed statement and then complain that the other person requiring you to prove such a statement is a logical fallacy. That is also a logical fallacy of logical fallacies.

This particular phrase, that you repeated several times, There is not a single thing you can share that can prove with complete certainty, is indeed a logical fallacy. It has nothing to do with the merits of either side of the argument. We could be talking about the existence of bigfoot using this same argument that you brought forth.

There is not a single thing you can share that can prove with complete certainty that Bigfoot doesn't exist.
There is not a single thing you can share that can prove with complete certainty that Bigfoot does exist.

Both of the above statements are true, which is why it is a logical fallacy. It is called the appeal to ignorance logical fallacy. You used is several times to defend your position. I have no problems with you believing Sims injury had nothing to do with last night. I do have issues with flawed debate tactics, which is what I was pointing out.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
we aren’t being graded on our assignments unless the mod team is about to drop mid term grades in a thread.

Achieve To Do List GIF by MAX

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
at some point you have to recognize this is a fan football forum and people aren’t gonna be covering every possible angle of debate and covering up every possibly fallacy. we aren’t being graded on our assignments unless the mod team is about to drop mid term grades in a thread.

sims is a good runner. if his ankle was healthy he probably gets a lot of rushing yards and we win. that is not the ridiculous statement that you have painted it out to be. is it guaranteed he does it? not at all. but place forgive a fan for being optimistic and being biased toward the team they support lol
Please stop with "I am a better fan than you" BS. It has nothing to do with the argument.

You being positive that we would have blown out UVA if Sims was healthy does not make you a batter fan nor does it make you correct.

Regardless, our coaches knew Sims was hurt and would not be able to run. Yet, they did not have an offensive game plan to win the game. Ultimately, it was horrible display of offense against a poor defense. Sims being hurt is not a viable excuse for the performance of the coaching staff or the players.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am sorry, but saying that we would have run all over UVA if Sims was not hurt is a logical fallacy. Responding that there is no evidence of this is not a logical fallacy, it is counterpoint to that flawed logic.
Past Performance Does Not Guarantee Results. I can not definitively prove that putting Zeek Biggers in as a wild cat and trying to have him trundle down the field on repeated QB Keepers would not have worked. Yet, reasonable people can say rather comfortably that isn't a game winning strategy.

Agree with you that it seems (to me) that Jeff was hobbled and clearly not at 100% so I wish we had a better gameplan for what to do if he couldn't go. I don't know how much the cold weather impacted him but I am sure it couldn't have helped.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Past Performance Does Not Guarantee Results. I can not definitively prove that putting Zeek Biggers in as a wild cat and trying to have him trundle down the field on repeated QB Keepers would not have worked. Yet, reasonable people can say rather comfortably that isn't a game winning strategy.
Only because Zeek would probably get tired 😁

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
This particular phrase, that you repeated several times, There is not a single thing you can share that can prove with complete certainty, is indeed a logical fallacy. It has nothing to do with the merits of either side of the argument. We could be talking about the existence of bigfoot using this same argument that you brought forth.

There is not a single thing you can share that can prove with complete certainty that Bigfoot doesn't exist.
There is not a single thing you can share that can prove with complete certainty that Bigfoot does exist.

Both of the above statements are true, which is why it is a logical fallacy. It is called the appeal to ignorance logical fallacy. You used is several times to defend your position. I have no problems with you believing Sims injury had nothing to do with last night. I do have issues with flawed debate tactics, which is what I was pointing out.
I am pretty sure you can produce evidence that Bigfoot exists. It is called Bigfoot.

Again, my point was to counter the suggestion that we would have won had Sims not been hurt was to point out the flaw by saying there is no evidence to support that, but rather that point was pure conjecture. Labeling my counterpoint as a logical fallacy is a logical fallacy of logical fallacies.

Person 1: I believe X caused Y
Person 2: There is no evidence of that so that is conjecture on your part.
Person 3: Asking for evidence is a logical fallacy.

Person 2: No, it is not

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

He is incapable of admitting that he is wrong, stop wasting your time

JacketFan137

Banned
Please stop with "I am a better fan than you" BS. It has nothing to do with the argument.

You being positive that we would have blown out UVA if Sims was healthy does not make you a batter fan nor does it make you correct.

Regardless, our coaches knew Sims was hurt and would not be able to run. Yet, they did not have an offensive game plan to win the game. Ultimately, it was horrible display of offense against a poor defense. Sims being hurt is not a viable excuse for the performance of the coaching staff or the players.
i didn’t say i was a better fan i just said fans are probably gonna say things that aren’t logically sound about their team and coming in here arguing about how statements are fallacies is just gonna fall on deaf ears. i find it quite weird when the second someone says that if a player on our team is healthy we do better is met with another fan telling me i have no way to prove that. **** me and everyone else for thinking that a player on our favorite team is good.

i said in another comment that we have to prepare better. i agree the gameplan wasn’t good enough. in football though if your starting qb is hurt it’s always an uphill battle so i’m not sure what could have been done too different. maybe they banked a little too hard on sims being healthy by game time.

i never said we’d blow out uva with sims in the game. this is an argument you have created for yourself. to make the opposing side seem more ridiculous.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
i didn’t say i was a better fan i just said fans are probably gonna say things that aren’t logically sound about their team and coming in here arguing about how statements are fallacies is just gonna fall on deaf ears. i find it quite weird when the second someone says that if a player on our team is healthy we do better is met with another fan telling me i have no way to prove that. **** me and everyone else for thinking that a player on our favorite team is good.

i said in another comment that we have to prepare better. i agree the gameplan wasn’t good enough. in football though if your starting qb is hurt it’s always an uphill battle so i’m not sure what could have been done too different. maybe they banked a little too hard on sims being healthy by game time.

i never said we’d blow out uva with sims in the game. this is an argument you have created for yourself. to make the opposing side seem more ridiculous.

I never said you said "we’d blow out uva with sims in the game" That is a straw man, another logical fallacy. You did say this....

a healthy starting qb and we are walking that game.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I do find it intersting that in another thread a poster was mocked and ridiculed for suggesting Pitt would have won if Abanakanda was healthy, but now we want to argue that we would have won if Sims was healthy.
Well, it's one thing saying "I think this would have happened in these circumstances." It's another thing entirely to say "This 100% would have happened in these circumstances." The person who was challenged on the Abanakanda made a definitive statement of certainty that Pitt would have won, and then fell on their sword about it. The statements here were generally "I think we would have won with a healthy Sims" and it was in relation to Sims as a QB vs the backups.

What I don't understand is why we can't get to "I think X" and another person saying "I disagree, I think Y" without it devolving into WW3. I'm as guilty as anyone about this, but it is pretty much par for the course on the site all sports forums.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
But more people would have stayed to watch that happen.

Love the big fella. His progress from last year to now is encouraging and I see him as an anchor on the line the next 2 years. Even the big nasty in the middle if we go 3-4 defense with the new regime.
Actually, that might be a good idea on 3rd and 1 as opposed to a pass...

Or at least have him in motion from the left and have him crack the DT on a dive play. That would have been fun to watch at least once.