Bigfoot, logical fallacies, Sims, Reggie Ball, and Game Prep

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
remember tony elliot was a golden boy and was often the guy we were told we should have hired instead of collins after he underperformed. tony elliot has pretty successfully derailed all momentum on a virginia team returning a lot of talent including one of the better qbs in the conference

just remember that no coaching hire is ever a sure thing.
Too early to write Elliot off but keep an eye on that basket certainly. He is an engineer -- actually worked at it for a year or so -- and thinks like one: methodical, step by step. Had Virginia looked closely at his Clemson performance, well, he was "co-offensive coordinator" for a reason. Clemson's offense suffered when it lost that up-tempo, gun 'em down approach and took to waiting between plays for Elliot to get in a play call, most of them tilting conservative. Thus far that offense is more active but tailored to a QB who can throw it a mile but is most effective in the intermediate to short throws, getting it to a WR or running back in space. But that is not a team to win a shootout with OSU, Alabama et al as in the past. Elliot could not have fixed that.

JacketFan137

Banned
If he can find anything Gibson can do well enough for us to succeed he should be handed the Head coaching job not year.
But if my job was on resting on Gibson, I would update my resume.
gibson can throw a decent ball when he’s standing still and has time. he will not get that here. playing him is pissing in the wind

CEB

Helluva Engineer
gibson can throw a decent ball when he’s standing still and has time. he will not get that here. playing him is pissing in the wind
No stats or research to support this but I said in the other thread before the lock that Gibson seems to throw the ball better between the hashes. He hit nice short middle throws and placed a nice ball on a post route. It was catchable and receiver could’ve fought back a little harder. Should have drawn a flag... regardless Gibson put it where it was supposed to be.
Throwing outside the hashes was an adventure. Hopefully there is something to build on there if we’re going to be without Sims for a couple

JacketFan137

Banned
No stats or research to support this but I said in the other thread before the lock that Gibson seems to throw the ball better between the hashes. He hit nice short middle throws and placed a nice ball on a post route. It was catchable and receiver could’ve fought back a little harder. Should have drawn a flag... regardless Gibson put it where it was supposed to be.
Throwing outside the hashes was an adventure. Hopefully there is something to build on there if we’re going to be without Sims for a couple
yeah i do think he is likely a more accurate qb than sims in the pocket but throwing on the run looked suspect and he’s not gonna avoid a sack if there’s pressure

idk how you start him after the end of the game but if we do and just only have quick passes ready i think he could maybe find something. pretty hard to look forward to much based on what we saw though

CEB

Helluva Engineer
yeah i do think he is likely a more accurate qb than sims in the pocket but throwing on the run looked suspect and he’s not gonna avoid a sack if there’s pressure

idk how you start him after the end of the game but if we do and just only have quick passes ready i think he could maybe find something. pretty hard to look forward to much based on what we saw though
No, I’m not saying that. Not comparing to Sims at all...
I am saying that the throws he delivered to the middle of the field were on target. Drags, short middle, the ball dropped by Carter near the end and even the one post pattern he threw (which should’ve drawn PI) all seemed to be on time and target. He clearly isn’t comfortable throwing out to the flat. Even short screen passes to the outside were off target. It’s like he sees the middle of the field better.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Ou
This game reminded me of some of Dodd's games when the O was misfiring with UVA posing as Tech. It was old fashioned "field position and play D football".

Why did Tech lose the game and UVA win? Neither team had great field position in the game consistently, but Tech got pinned on our end way too much. We also fumbled - predictable, given our field position - on the 9. Great D - and it was - can only do so much when the team finds itself up against its goal line for the whole 4th quarter. To UVA's credit, they knew what to do when that happened and our #2 QB came in. But, imho, this was a game where punting and field position made the most difference in the result.
Our O couldn't flip the field. The D played very well given field position and with virtually no help from the offense.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

He went down with arm tackles. He needs lots of protection to be successful or needs to get the ball out faster. Just can't wait for his primary to get open. It doesn't happen very often at this level. Late throws are likely picks.

JacketFan137

Banned
He went down with arm tackles. He needs lots of protection to be successful or needs to get the ball out faster. Just can't wait for his primary to get open. It doesn't happen very often at this level. Late throws are likely picks.
yeah i agree. o line isn’t great but sometimes you gotta know to get rid of it.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I had 137 on ignore but after this tread had to unignore. During the fall scrimmage Gibson looked decent and made some impressive throws. Did not perform well in his debut. I think he is/was the best to replace Sims.

During the game there was one wildcat play. In the stands we were saying, let's see more of that. Not that it would have made a difference, but playing against a stacked box, it gives you an extra blocker. Woulda coulda shouda.

The stadium was at best half full with minimal UVA fans. The home field advantage was not really there. It may be because it was such a let down with the fans expecting a cake walk against UVA. Gibson leading the team down the field and having to settle for a FG did take the life out of enthusiasm. After that, it was all ragging on the refs. Lots of enthusiasm before the game, then taken back down to reality.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I had 137 on ignore but after this tread had to unignore. During the fall scrimmage Gibson looked decent and made some impressive throws. Did not perform well in his debut. I think he is/was the best to replace Sims.

During the game there was one wildcat play. In the stands we were saying, let's see more of that. Not that it would have made a difference, but playing against a stacked box, it gives you an extra blocker. Woulda coulda shouda.

The stadium was at best half full with minimal UVA fans. The home field advantage was not really there. It may be because it was such a let down with the fans expecting a cake walk against UVA. Gibson leading the team down the field and having to settle for a FG did take the life out of enthusiasm. After that, it was all ragging on the refs. Lots of enthusiasm before the game, then taken back down to reality.
Expecting a cakewalk. Have “the fans” watched GT Football play for the past 3 years and 6 games. This team wouldn’t have a cake walk against a poor FCS team.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Expecting a cakewalk. Have “the fans” watched GT Football play for the past 3 years and 6 games. This team wouldn’t have a cake walk against a poor FCS team.

For us older fans, it goes much deeper than that. We never expect a cakewalk (despite the predictions you see here), especially when we are ranked and/or the opponent is Uva. That series is pretty even. Since 1985, we have never won more than 3 in a row against them (they had a 4 game streak against us in the '90's)and the games are usually competitive on the scoreboard as well.

JacketFan137

Banned

nothing lamer than telling people you have them on ignore.

1666536359309.gif

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
For us older fans, it goes much deeper than that. We never expect a cakewalk (despite the predictions you see here), especially when we are ranked and/or the opponent is Uva. That series is pretty even. Since 1985, we have never won more than 3 in a row against them (they had a 4 game streak against us in the '90's)and the games are usually competitive on the scoreboard as well.
They now have a 4-game streak on us and have taken the series lead

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
At this point in our football life, most of us are hoping for survival. We have some talented athletes, but the depth chart is very shallow. An injury to one player should not be the killer for our offense, but it is. The staff is sure to make some adjustments to the game plan if Gibson is the starter this week, but his skillset is far below what is needed.

Just over a week ago I thought it might be possible to get six wins and go bowling. It seems like a pipe dream right now. Will we get a 4th win this year? With VPI and the U on our schedule it's possible, but not a sure thing.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
At this point in our football life, most of us are hoping for survival. We have some talented athletes, but the depth chart is very shallow. An injury to one player should not be the killer for our offense, but it is. The staff is sure to make some adjustments to the game plan if Gibson is the starter this week, but his skillset is far below what is needed.

Just over a week ago I thought it might be possible to get six wins and go bowling. It seems like a pipe dream right now. Will we get a 4th win this year? With VPI and the U on our schedule it's possible, but not a sure thing.
Based on what I saw Thursday, if Sims stays hurt, we will not win another game. Without a pick 6, we wouldn't have scored a TD. Our defense cannot carry this team to a win. They are having to stay on the field too long.

JacketFan137

Banned
Based on what I saw Thursday, if Sims stays hurt, we will not win another game. Without a pick 6, we wouldn't have scored a TD. Our defense cannot carry this team to a win. They are having to stay on the field too long.
yeah lost in all the sky is falling talk is the defense has been incredible in the last 3 games. giving up only 16 when the offense played that bad against uva was a spectacular performance