Bethune Cookman game thread

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A few (far less educated) observations from our seats in Section 107....
  1. Alvarado looks impressive to me. The other frosh...not so much ( I know, give 'em time...and I am. But they didn't contribute so much today)
  2. Lammers---obviously a baller
  3. Alston-impressed me today and we *really* needed him on the flor today
  4. did we ever execute a fast break successfully today? Maybe 1...most we not only managed to screw up, but we give them easy baskets at the other end as a result
  5. we won (yay!)
  6. McCamish was COLD. There was a breeze in the building and it was a chill wind. I had to put my jacket back on and was still cold!
Can someone explain to me why we played zone so much in the 2nd half? It looked to me like our less experience players weren't so adept at defending threes when we played zone and we allowed them too many easy looks form outside and a chance to crawl back into the game. We also gave up rebounding position mor win the zone and yielded offensive rebounds to BCU. I thought we looked better in man-to-man and we seemed to stop their run and stop the threes when we went to it...then after a few possessions ..we went back to zone. I was confused by this strategy.

Overall, I expected a rough start to the year...and that's what I saw.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
  1. Alvarado looks impressive to me. The other frosh...not so much ( I know, give 'em time...and I am. But they didn't contribute so much today)
  4. did we ever execute a fast break successfully today? Maybe 1...most we not only managed to screw up, but we give them easy baskets at the other end as a result
  5. we won (yay!)
  6. McCamish was COLD. There was a breeze in the building and it was a chill wind. I had to put my jacket back on and was still cold!
Can someone explain to me why we played zone so much in the 2nd half? It looked to me like our less experience players weren't so adept at defending threes when we played zone and we allowed them too many easy looks form outside and a chance to crawl back into the game. We also gave up rebounding position mor win the zone and yielded offensive rebounds to BCU. I thought we looked better in man-to-man and we seemed to stop their run and stop the threes when we went to it...then after a few possessions ..we went back to zone. I was confused by this strategy.

We switch defenses a lot. The amoeba defense can look like man at times when it is actually a match up zone. We play mostly zone and will do so against most teams. It is a complex defensive scheme and our freshmen and transfers are still learning it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
  5. we won (yay!)

Our fast break conversion rate is horrendous right now. The guys somehow have made it this far and how no idea how to run a break.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
  5. we won (yay!)

We were having to play a big lineup most of the night including the time we played 4 bigs and Jose. There was no way we could really play man against that team with the players we had today. They would have spread us and worked us. We had to play some form of a spread zone which is what you saw. Even when we played Jose, Alston and Moore we had to play primarily zone to hide AD and the fact I doubt we had matchups we liked on D.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Glad our FT defense was so good today. If Bethune Cookman shot 50% from the line, we lose. They were wretched. 10-25. We got tremendously lucky this wasn't an RPI killing loss. (Missing JO & Tad is obviously huge, but we should still never worry about winning over Bethune Cookman)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thoughts from my seat.

Have to survive these first few games until Tadric and then Josh return.

Jose is this year's Josh, 3 star kid who is going to play way above his ranking. Love how he plays. I thought he started slow and sluggish, but after coach pulled him and "talked" to him, he was like a different player. amazing how many Rebounds he pulls down. Wish all our guards rebounded like him Strong at the line as well. Not afraid to take shots.

Ben was gassed late in the second half. He needed more breaks, that is on Pastner. He had AD chained to the bench for no good reason for a good bit of the second half.

Brandon provided a big lift especially in the first half. He is aggressive and you can tell he has played college basketball. He looked slower to me in the second half, I think playing alot of min wears on his knee a little. Much better game than against UCLA. Really took care of the ball, was money at the FT line and solid on defense. Not afraid.

Moore was a disaster today and I agree with those who think his min are going to get cut significantly once Tad and Josh are back. Right now he is the 5th best guard on the team behind the 2 suspensions, Jose and Alston. He is unable to score. B-C was daring him to shoot, just like every other team we will face. He cannot shoot at any of the three levels. He was poor with ballhandling today as well. Played decent on defense but that was it. I would bet that he avg less than 15 mpg once Tad and Josh are back. Actually I think it will be less than 12. Jose is already a better PG than him and Moore can't shoot so he is a liability at 2. I think he could end up avg less than 10.

AD was one of the PotG today. He plays strong defense and he was very good at the line in the 2nd half. He should not be 18 ft from the basket ever. Just keep him close. If he is in the game with Lammers it should be a high-low setup. I hope he stays for a SR yr. He is never going to be a big scorer, but if he can be a great defender, strong rebounder and hit FT's - there are needs for players like that.

Wright - once again shows a few flashes, I think he is going to be a good player in time. He is a sneaky good passer. He had 2 scores off of good passes from teammates for easy shots in close.

Haywood - Way too passive. Jumpshot looks pretty, but he has to hit it. Looks like he is in quicksand right now and thinking too much. He will be largely on the bench once Tad and Josh come back. Doesn't make major mistakes, but doesn't make plays either. Nice long term potential but a little disappointed he is not more ready to contribute now.

Cole - needs time. Doubt he plays much this year,

Phillips - he is a little bigger than I thought, seeing him for the first time in person. He is taller than Tad and at least at built as tad and Josh if not more so.

in this game the offense was Ben, Brandon and Jose. No one else looked comfortable taking on an offensive role. Actually Wright did a little, but he is not ready for that role yet.

The reason for the weird big lineup was foul trouble. We got about 8 fouls in a 4 min stretch in the first half. At one point in the first half every guard had either 2 or 3 fouls.

Defense was good inside the paint but inconsistent outside of it. B-C basically had 2 guys - Tabb and Maitland that could hurt you, yet Tabb was able to get shots all game long (and hit 8-17 from three).
Rebounding was not near where it needs to be, way too many offensive rebounds by B-C. Guys have to understand you don't need 3 guys blocking a shot - that just leaves backside players open for easy shots.

Once again our fastbreaks were atrocious. We had multiple occasions where we had a fast break opportunity and screwed it up and it led to an open 3 on the other end. Ballhandling in general was really poor today.

Frankly, the team played better against UCLA than they did today. Very sloppy today. Focus and execution was better against UCLA.
Glad to get the win. A long ways to go.

The lack of substitution by Pastner in the 2nd half was perplexing. Lammers and Jose played 20, Alston 19. When you have 4 TO and a really tired team (you could see it in the body language) you need to use 1 or 2 to give your guys a break. B-C did a great job of using the press to disrupt the offense and tire the team out.

Finally, major problems with the center hung scoreboard today. It started having issues shortly before halftime. The clock was not working and the score and stats were wrong. It was not used at all for significant stretches of the second half and when it was the only things it was used for was score and clock. No player stats. Sort of summed up the day for me. Almost the whole game felt out of sync.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We are going to struggle offensively until both Tadric and JO return. We need to adjust our expectations

I am actually pretty optimistic with the play of Alston and Alvarado. Wright and AD gave us some good minutes on the boards. Like anything in basketball, match-ups matter a lot. Be patient with these kids. Lammers can carry us with teams like BC, but not to big double digit wins. We need to be at full strength.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thoughts from my seat.

Have to survive these first few games until Tadric and then Josh return.

Jose is this year's Josh, 3 star kid who is going to play way above his ranking. Love how he plays. I thought he started slow and sluggish, but after coach pulled him and "talked" to him, he was like a different player. amazing how many Rebounds he pulls down. Wish all our guards rebounded like him Strong at the line as well. Not afraid to take shots.

Ben was gassed late in the second half. He needed more breaks, that is on Pastner. He had AD chained to the bench for no good reason for a good bit of the second half.

Brandon provided a big lift especially in the first half. He is aggressive and you can tell he has played college basketball. He looked slower to me in the second half, I think playing alot of min wears on his knee a little. Much better game than against UCLA. Really took care of the ball, was money at the FT line and solid on defense. Not afraid.

Moore was a disaster today and I agree with those who think his min are going to get cut significantly once Tad and Josh are back. Right now he is the 5th best guard on the team behind the 2 suspensions, Jose and Alston. He is unable to score. B-C was daring him to shoot, just like every other team we will face. He cannot shoot at any of the three levels. He was poor with ballhandling today as well. Played decent on defense but that was it. I would bet that he avg less than 15 mpg once Tad and Josh are back. Actually I think it will be less than 12. Jose is already a better PG than him and Moore can't shoot so he is a liability at 2. I think he could end up avg less than 10.

AD was one of the PotG today. He plays strong defense and he was very good at the line in the 2nd half. He should not be 18 ft from the basket ever. Just keep him close. If he is in the game with Lammers it should be a high-low setup. I hope he stays for a SR yr. He is never going to be a big scorer, but if he can be a great defender, strong rebounder and hit FT's - there are needs for players like that.

Wright - once again shows a few flashes, I think he is going to be a good player in time. He is a sneaky good passer. He had 2 scores off of good passes from teammates for easy shots in close.

Haywood - Way too passive. Jumpshot looks pretty, but he has to hit it. Looks like he is in quicksand right now and thinking too much. He will be largely on the bench once Tad and Josh come back. Doesn't make major mistakes, but doesn't make plays either. Nice long term potential but a little disappointed he is not more ready to contribute now.

Cole - needs time. Doubt he plays much this year,

Phillips - he is a little bigger than I thought, seeing him for the first time in person. He is taller than Tad and at least at built as tad and Josh if not more so.

in this game the offense was Ben, Brandon and Jose. No one else looked comfortable taking on an offensive role. Actually Wright did a little, but he is not ready for that role yet.

The reason for the weird big lineup was foul trouble. We got about 8 fouls in a 4 min stretch in the first half. At one point in the first half every guard had either 2 or 3 fouls.

Defense was good inside the paint but inconsistent outside of it. B-C basically had 2 guys - Tabb and Maitland that could hurt you, yet Tabb was able to get shots all game long (and hit 8-17 from three).
Rebounding was not near where it needs to be, way too many offensive rebounds by B-C. Guys have to understand you don't need 3 guys blocking a shot - that just leaves backside players open for easy shots.

Once again our fastbreaks were atrocious. We had multiple occasions where we had a fast break opportunity and screwed it up and it led to an open 3 on the other end. Ballhandling in general was really poor today.

Frankly, the team played better against UCLA than they did today. Very sloppy today. Focus and execution was better against UCLA.
Glad to get the win. A long ways to go.

The lack of substitution by Pastner in the 2nd half was perplexing. Lammers and Jose played 20, Alston 19. When you have 4 TO and a really tired team (you could see it in the body language) you need to use 1 or 2 to give your guys a break. B-C did a great job of using the press to disrupt the offense and tire the team out.

Finally, major problems with the center hung scoreboard today. It started having issues shortly before halftime. The clock was not working and the score and stats were wrong. It was not used at all for significant stretches of the second half and when it was the only things it was used for was score and clock. No player stats. Sort of summed up the day for me. Almost the whole game felt out of sync.
Really nice summation. Thanks.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

I see flashes of Josh in Alvarado...times where he brings the ball down the court, drives to the hoop and draws contact or makes a layup -- the type of guy that when you need those 2 points, he can get those 2 points.

Now we just need him to get more consistent and reliably do it for 40 straight minutes like Josh can.

If he can make leaps as the season goes on, an experienced Okogie, developed Alvarado, and strong Lammers is an at large bid without a doubt.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I see flashes of Josh in Alvarado...times where he brings the ball down the court, drives to the hoop and draws contact or makes a layup -- the type of guy that when you need those 2 points, he can get those 2 points.

Now we just need him to get more consistent and reliably do it for 40 straight minutes like Josh can.

If he can make leaps as the season goes on, an experienced Okogie, developed Alvarado, and strong Lammers is an at large bid without a doubt.

I also like what I see from Alston. I'm not sure he can do it as much against ACC level competition, but he feels like a guy that can give you 10-15 min of solid play.
I think Moore is in a lot of trouble from a playing time perspective unless he improves alot as this season goes on. He has Devoe and Phillips in next year who can both play at PG. That's 3 guys for that position and Moore simply isn't a good enough scorer to play 2. If Josh is back next year I just don't see more than 5 mpg max for Moore next season.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
What RRed said. Alvarado is impressive and will only get better. Had his lunch eaten a couple of times, but made it up later. If we can just get one more and get Tadric back we'll have many more scoring options. I hope JO will heal before the 6 game thing. With all back we could be pretty decent, but not a lot of scoring depth. Alston should help...glad we got him.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If we can survive until Josh gets back, I think we have a shot at the tournament this year. Jose is a baller that will only get better with other scorers on the court. Just can't have any RPI killing losses.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I also like what I see from Alston. I'm not sure he can do it as much against ACC level competition, but he feels like a guy that can give you 10-15 min of solid play.
I think Moore is in a lot of trouble from a playing time perspective unless he improves alot as this season goes on. He has Devoe and Phillips in next year who can both play at PG. That's 3 guys for that position and Moore simply isn't a good enough scorer to play 2. If Josh is back next year I just don't see more than 5 mpg max for Moore next season.
Don't forget Ashton Hagans :)