Bethune Cookman game thread

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just as a side note in this thread: UT Rio Grande beat B-C by 18 points. Given our current roster situation, this will not be a walk in the park.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Man, I like Alvarado's game. He's the PG other PGs hate to play against because he's all over the place and his motor is nonstop.

I think we like him even more as the year goes on, and over the entirety of his career. For some reason he reminds me of Bobby Hurley.

Can we use someone other than a Puke guy? I like the Aaron Craft comparison.

After two games this is my impression: in the first 36 minutes, when he takes a shot, especially a 3, I am not all that confident. In the last 4 minutes, I always think it’s going in.

He’s a killer, and I love that.

slugboy

Staff member

After two games this is my impression: in the first 36 minutes, when he takes a shot, especially a 3, I am not all that confident. In the last 4 minutes, I always think it’s going in.

I seem him shoot and think "please step at least 12 inches inside the arc". He'll get the three, but he doesn't have it now.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

Dead on with Craft. I was trying to think of who the kid at OSU was. I was drawing a blank but yes, I see a lot of Craft's game in JA

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Dead on with Craft. I was trying to think of who the kid at OSU was. I was drawing a blank but yes, I see a lot of Craft's game in JA
Craft is a good comp - tough, gritty playmaker. Although I do think Jose is probably a little more athletic and can be more explosive getting to the basket.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, I like Alvarado's game. He's the PG other PGs hate to play against because he's all over the place and his motor is nonstop.

I think we like him even more as the year goes on, and over the entirety of his career. For some reason he reminds me of Bobby Hurley.
I know people aren't fans of the comparison but I think it's the perfect comparison. I'll take a couple of national championships to go along with it.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Alvarado is going to be a very good 4 yr PG. Devoe is going to have to come in and work really hard to have a chance to unseat him eventually and i can see them playing together as well.

I feel like we have 4 ACC level players right now - Josh, Ben, Tadric and Jose.
I think we have 2 ACC level backups - AD and Alston
We have others that may or may not develop into ACC level players in Wright, Haywood, Cole, Moore and Ogbonda
Finally I think Phillips will be an ACC level player from day 1 next season. His experience at TN suggests that.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Alvarado is going to be a very good 4 yr PG. Devoe is going to have to come in and work really hard to have a chance to unseat him eventually and i can see them playing together as well.

We have others that may or may not develop into ACC level players in Wright, Haywood, Cole, Moore and Ogbonda
Finally I think Phillips will be an ACC level player from day 1 next season. His experience at TN suggests that.
I like the way AD looks on the floor, but his offensive limitations make it tough for me to peg him as a solid ACC backup. You mentioned it earlier - I have no idea why he is ever 20 feet away from the basket. He has good presence on defense given his quick(er) feet and length, but there is almost no need to guard him when he has the ball on the offensive end. It'll be interesting to see what his minutes look like after Ogbonda gets healthy (assuming Ves improved as much as people say he did in the offseason).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our young guys are getting a real test against teams like B-C who are full of older guys. Alston and Lammers are old enough and experienced enough to compete, but our freshmen have a lot to learn.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I like the way AD looks on the floor, but his offensive limitations make it tough for me to peg him as a solid ACC backup. You mentioned it earlier - I have no idea why he is ever 20 feet away from the basket. He has good presence on defense given his quick(er) feet and length, but there is almost no need to guard him when he has the ball on the offensive end. It'll be interesting to see what his minutes look like after Ogbonda gets healthy (assuming Ves improved as much as people say he did in the offseason).

Right now AD is the starting 4 and I don't see Ogbondo replacing that. So he is going to get minutes. The question will be can either Cole or Wright replace him at the 4. So far ......

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

IMO both Gueye and Wright are ACC level 5th starters, if we were at full strength. With Jackson, Okogie, and Lammers (and throw in Jose based on early results) then whoever is at the 4 just needs to be a re and d guy which both of them can do well imo. There are very few teams where the 5th starter is that close to the #1 option and those teams usually don't have guys as individually good as Lammers and Okogie. I'd also lean on putting Moore in the back up category. Pretty good ball handling with solid D. Once we're back at full strength his weakness on the offensive end won't be as glaring.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Right now AD is the starting 4 and I don't see Ogbondo replacing that. So he is going to get minutes. The question will be can either Cole or Wright replace him at the 4. So far ......

right now i would have AD ahead of Wright as well.

i'd try to keep AD as close to the basket as possible on offense and try to get him touches close in. He is tall and athletic enough to score close or at least cause fouls and his FT shooting looked solid.

The issue right now is we have no idea what we have with Ogbonda since he is not healthy enough to play. i could see next year AD starting at the 5 with one of Wright, Cole or Sjolund at the 4.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMO both Gueye and Wright are ACC level 5th starters, if we were at full strength. With Jackson, Okogie, and Lammers (and throw in Jose based on early results) then whoever is at the 4 just needs to be a re and d guy which both of them can do well imo. There are very few teams where the 5th starter is that close to the #1 option and those teams usually don't have guys as individually good as Lammers and Okogie. I'd also lean on putting Moore in the back up category. Pretty good ball handling with solid D. Once we're back at full strength his weakness on the offensive end won't be as glaring.

I'm just more down on Moore right now. Was hoping to see more improvement out of him. Right now i don't see a long term role for him after this season.
i think he has to show significant improvement between now and the end of the season for me not to see him as a potential transfer guy. He has to be able to score from at least 1 level. Right now he is 1-11 on the season, 1-4 FT. As a PG that makes him a liability because you can't have him handling the ball late and get fouled. in contrast Jose is 10-12 FT and 9-19 shooting and the only player on the team with more than 1 made three. Without some offensive improvement he simply is nothing more than a Corey Heyward type that should not be playing more than deep reserve min on a good team.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
When JO and Tadric get back i like AD. JO, Tadric, Slammers, and Jose thats 4 that our a threat to score so AD just needs to play D and rebound and use his length to be a disruption. Without 2 of our best 3 offensive weapons if your looking for AD to put the ball in the basket your most likely gonna be dissapointed, but when we have our full squad I think he will be a nice piece.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm just more down on Moore right now. Was hoping to see more improvement out of him. Right now i don't see a long term role for him after this season.
i think he has to show significant improvement between now and the end of the season for me not to see him as a potential transfer guy. He has to be able to score from at least 1 level. Right now he is 1-11 on the season, 1-4 FT. As a PG that makes him a liability because you can't have him handling the ball late and get fouled. in contrast Jose is 10-12 FT and 9-19 shooting and the only player on the team with more than 1 made three. Without some offensive improvement he simply is nothing more than a Corey Heyward type that should not be playing more than deep reserve min on a good team.

This year Moore will have to be no more than the 4th option on offense and so I view his ball handling and defense to make him an adequate back up. I've also seen him get some good looks and just not finish. Granted he does need to finish but the difference between him and Heyward is Heyward was no threat at all to even get good looks in most games. I think we'll get a better idea of how he fits in once he isn't going to be asked to be one of the top 3 scorers. To be honest I see him as more valuable as a backup than Alston because of better D and handling and once at full strength we won't be wanting Alston to do much of what he has been doing because we'll have far better offensive options on the floor. That's not to say he isn't still limited but so is AD. It's a matter of role on the team, and I see him being a solid 10-15 min backup giving Jose a blow and a little off ball to try and force some easy baskets in transition.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Wright has shown more eye opening flashes in 2 games than AD has shown in 2 years. To legitimately threaten the top tier of ACC, and create “what if” excitement in March, Wright is the wild card. A starting line up of (allow me some nickname fun) Vanilla Godzilla, Gold Mamba, Microwave Jackson (instant offense), Assassin Alavarado, and the inside/out (potential) of Wright let’s this team threaten anyone. At times, Wright handles 40 feet from rim, drives and spins, flys to try follow up dunk in traffic - scary potential, but also scary decisions, and scary lack of court presence ... but if it clicks before ACC play? That’s my Xmas wish.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like Wright's long term potential alot better, but right now, especially once Tad and Josh are back i'd have AD in the starting lineup.
Wright shows mad potential, but through 2 games that count he is 2-13 from the field and 0-0 from the line. Both his made shots were easy buckets off passes from teammates.
interesting both Wright and AD have 3 assists, though AD has 5 TO compared to just 2 for Wright.

As mentioned above if you have Jose, Josh, Ben and one of Alston or Tad on the floor you have scorers, at that point I need someone that is likely going to rebound, defend and make fewer mistakes. That is AD right now, but i could see Wright passing him at some point. Assuming normal development i expect Wright we be flat out ahead of AD next season and maybe before the end of this season.

Based on what i see so far at the end of the game if I am trying to protect a lead and I have my full lineup available I think I would have Jose, Brandon, Josh, AD and Lammers on the floor.
I already know Jose, Brandon, Josh and Ben are all good FT shooters and AD looks to be as well. I'd have Brandon over Tad simply due to FT shooting. Both have sort of similar games offensively and frankly Brandon is better than Tad at being able to draw contact and fouls.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, get ready for it. The staff has Weight above AD. If the guys hadn’t of gone swimming, AD wouldn’t have been starting. Wright will be at the 4. He has way more potential and can currently do more that AD.