Benson injury update?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Eh, Bama loses a 5 star QB every year (we just played one of them)...and they'll probably lose Jalen Hurts this year before the season is over.

Duke seriously loses a QB every year. Didn't they just lose their starter last week?

If we REALLY wanted to look into it, I'm pretty sure most teams have a position or two that seems snake bitten. That's just sports.

I mean, being a GT fan, you just gotta roll with the punches sometimes...

In 2012, Maryland lost it's top 4 QBs throughout the season, and had to start a LB who had played QB in HS against GT.

Jackets741

Georgia Tech Fan
In 2012, Maryland lost it's top 4 QBs throughout the season, and had to start a LB who had played QB in HS against GT.

We probably made him look like a Heisman candidate against us, similar to the way we made Blake Barnett look like a dual threat QB instead of the nations #1 pocket passer coming out of highschool

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

They went 4-8 overall and 2-6 in the ACC and they lost their last six games that year. Poor guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Kentucky snapped their 26-year losing streak against Tennessee starting a wide receiver they had to convert to QB during the week due to injuries. And the legend of Matt Roark was born. lol.

Also, while Alabama does usually lose one 5-star QB per year, that is only because they have four 5-star QBs on the roster and the ones that aren't cutting it get pushed out. That is a bit of a different situation. Also, lets go ahead and agree never to use Alabama as the standard for what GT fans should expect. (y)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Also, while Alabama does usually lose one 5-star QB per year, that is only because they have four 5-star QBs on the roster and the ones that aren't cutting it get pushed out. That is a bit of a different situation. Also, lets go ahead and agree never to use Alabama as the standard for what GT fans should expect. (y)

Yeah. I agree. I never made the Bama assertion, just replied with the anecdote about that fateful Maryland game.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Was just about to post “isn’t this also CPJ’s fault?” When I read this. All the losses of QBs and BBacks over the last few years must be his fault somehow because all the losses are on him and these cause losses;) This is football! There are numerous factors that coaches cannot really address such as injuries. I just pray Kirvonte heals well and that the other guys step up in a big way while he is gone.
Well clearly CPJ should have suspended him for the second quarter of the second game as opposed to the first quarter of the first game. Then the injury would never have happened.

stingem103

Georgia Tech Fan
I love watching Benson play for us. Hope he gets better soon and that the team can play as a group. Our system is set up to deal with something like this better than other schools...we all think we lack depth but lets give the next guys up our support as you never really know what will happen. Not many people realized how good Benson was until he got his shot to play in 17 and I hope he doesn't loose his style of running over this injury.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Appears that KB has opted for the surgery so that recoup time should be under 9 months. Other option would be to skip surgery but have a 12-16 month recovery period.

Wish KirVonte and his family the best. I have no doubt that he has the mental ability to work through and be as strong as he was before the injury.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Must not be an ACL. I know CPJ said something to the affect of it being something different, but then he said it was basically the same as his high school injury which was an acl. So I got confused.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
In a CBS article on KB, I saw this note:
“Benson was an All-ACC pick in 2017 after rushing for 1,053 yards and totaling five 100-yard games in his first season as a starter in Johnson's offense. He is eligible for a medical redshirt for this season, which would extend his eligibility to 2020.”
I’m not sure if this guy knows something we all don’t or if he’s just thinking of the old redshirt rules, but thought it was interesting.

In a CBS article on KB, I saw this note:
“Benson was an All-ACC pick in 2017 after rushing for 1,053 yards and totaling five 100-yard games in his first season as a starter in Johnson's offense. He is eligible for a medical redshirt for this season, which would extend his eligibility to 2020.”
I’m not sure if this guy knows something we all don’t or if he’s just thinking of the old redshirt rules, but thought it was interesting.
KB CAN apply for a medical waiver, giving him what would be a 6th year. There's no guarantee that he would get the waiver, but it's possible.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I would be shocked if he doesn’t get a medical waiver, with the fact that he was recovering from an injury when he entered as a freshman. He used his redshirt to rehab.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You can have your opinion. I like KB and would much prefer to have him back there, but I just don't see the drop off in grade being more than 1 letter grade, Marshall playing to his ceiling is the most important factor for our offense. Not the BB.
The biggest thing is blocking. Mason can run well and looks to me to have a bit more power than KB. But if the blocking drop off is noticeable we are going to have problems.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
The biggest thing is blocking. Mason can run well and looks to me to have a bit more power than KB. But if the blocking drop off is noticeable we are going to have problems.
More power than KB? I don't see it. KB runs low and hard and breaks more tackles than probably any other B we've had. Mason is a good back (better than I thought he would be), and in another year he may be more powerful, but I disagree right now.