Benson injury update?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If he's healthy he's a starter. Absolute bowling ball and major factor in the play action pass game. Unless Grif commits of course.
Well, Collins has one position we settled for him. One thing we need to keep in mind is that with the spread option the Bback was almost at the line of scrimmage and making almost no gap decisions. With that RPO or zone read so popular now that Collins uses -- though he calls it "exciting" and "innovative", it is basically shelf ware -- the backs are six to seven yards deep with some discretion on the run gap if they get the handoff. It might be that Benson and other Bbacks are not going to be as effective starting seven yards behind the LOS. A lot of adjustments will be required by all the backs. For instance I think Cottrell can be a standout tailback in this offense ... but maybe not. Collins's Temple team was too slow to decide anything.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Well, Collins has one position we settled for him. One thing we need to keep in mind is that with the spread option the Bback was almost at the line of scrimmage and making almost no gap decisions. With that RPO or zone read so popular now that Collins uses -- though he calls it "exciting" and "innovative", it is basically shelf ware -- the backs are six to seven yards deep with some discretion on the run gap if they get the handoff. It might be that Benson and other Bbacks are not going to be as effective starting seven yards behind the LOS. A lot of adjustments will be required by all the backs. For instance I think Cottrell can be a standout tailback in this offense ... but maybe not. Collins's Temple team was too slow to decide anything.

It is possible that we have some adjustment there. But each of the b-backs started off in a different place last year. Benson was so close to the line because he went from 0- full speed extremely fast. It made the option hit much faster.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It is possible that we have some adjustment there. But each of the b-backs started off in a different place last year. Benson was so close to the line because he went from 0- full speed extremely fast. It made the option hit much faster.

KirVonte is basically Maurice Jones-Drew 2.0, and if he’s healthy I fully expect him to be the starter. Even though they’ve all been playing BB the last few years, they were regular running backs all before that so they aren’t completely foreign to it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I think all of our backs played in this type of scheme in (not under center 3-O) in high school. Shouldn’t be foreign to them at all.

WrexRacer

Georgia Tech Fan
I would expect Howard to be the starting back. He never quite committed to the ‘hit your gap regardless ‘ mentality. I imagine he was a ‘wait for yourblocks to develop’ guy in HS, which is a more traditional RB roll.

If he's healthy he's a starter. Absolute bowling ball and major factor in the play action pass game. Unless Grif commits of course.

Can't necessarily say that

Different Off, different requirements for RBs, nothing is guaranteed for guys that produced in the previous system

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not necessarily. Competition will decide and he’s coming back from a major injury.
Isn't it amazing how competition is viewed? Even Dabo Swinney had to correct Kirk Herbstreit who said on-air that the Lawrence-at-QB decision was made to prepare for the NC, and Herbstreit is maybe the best analyst. Swinney pointed out the starters had to earn their jobs every week and those who deserved to start the next week would start. "The here and now" is how he phrased i, and a coach who made lineup changes based on possibilities and potential would lose his team.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Benson graduates, should transfer to another school for last year....IMHO

200w.gif

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Now, wait. Four yards and more after he's hit? Is there an S on his chest?
" c = contact"
"Hit = ouch"
4 yards after hit = Earl or Herchel.
Yes after hit guys have an S.
Earl's hs team TOUCHES his block of granite as they take the field.

I
Oliver had great yac when he slipped by the hit point. When hit - not so much.

I think benson will be very good.