Benson injury update?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As I've said before there really isn't much difference between playing RB in a shotgun spread and playing BB. Better then half the plays are double options where the RB is headed for a particular gap (usually the B) and the QB reads the DE to determine whether to hand off or keep. The shotgun teams also run the equivalent of the speed option, just like we did. Every now and then, the RB gets an option on the hole to hit, but that's usually a matter of reading between two set blocks. (This is how the pros do it.) The rest of the time they are pass blocking or running routes. Only the last is an additional skill for our BBs coming back.

True, it sometimes looks different. With Mills (it still hurts) and Benson the BB played close to the line because they were very quick starters. But go back and look at Dwyer and Allen. Both of them started further back to allow them to get up some steam and do a little juking at the hole. I'm pretty sure that Benson, if he's healthy, will start and do extremely well, no matter how deep he plays.

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
If it is a 1 back set and we are really a RPO offense, won’t it really come down to who can also provide the best pass blocking? That’s the way it is with clemmons and why ettiene didn’t play all plays last year. And who knows for us since none of ours have really had to perform that task.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If it is a 1 back set and we are really a RPO offense, won’t it really come down to who can also provide the best pass blocking? That’s the way it is with clemmons and why ettiene didn’t play all plays last year. And who knows for us since none of ours have really had to perform that task.

Um the b backs primary job on pass plays has been to pass block. The same way as an r po running back. The a backs are the ones that dont pass set as often.

WrexRacer

Georgia Tech Fan
Actually oir b backs picking up backers usually wasnt what broke in our pass pro. It was normally a line breakdown.

I’ll add that the RB will be more effective pass blocking simply by not starting in the 3 pt stance. It is hard to see anything from that stance in the backfield.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I would expect Howard to be the starting back. He never quite committed to the ‘hit your gap regardless ‘ mentality. I imagine he was a ‘wait for yourblocks to develop’ guy in HS, which is a more traditional RB roll.
You’d be thinking of Mason, if you are looking for a guy who waited for his blocks to develop. I said it many times that he reminded me of Leven Bell in his running style. Imo he will be the starter this year. Here’s his film.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I got it. The Ouch factor is the determinant. But what if I have a low pain threshhold? (Never mind. I am just picking at you.)

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
You’d be thinking of Mason, if you are looking for a guy who waited for his blocks to develop. I said it many times that he reminded me of Leven Bell in his running style. Imo he will be the starter this year. Here’s his film.

Bell is a good comparison. He also reminds me of Elijah Hood, of UNC during their good run.
He will absolutely fit into a shotgun read option system.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Will be interesting to see the S&C plan for our B-backs. Do we keep them where they are or do we lighten them up a bit.

I'm thinking that Mason and Benson (assuming he gets back from another knee injury) will benefit the most from the new system. Haven't seen enough of Malloy to make a call yet.

Howard is an interesting player. He's similar to a lot of the Bama backs. But is he a zone read runner?

I think with an increase in RPOs, it will be key to see who can pass block the best. I think the 3 that have played extensively for us were decent in the few instances where they were required to pass block/Midline