Ben Lammers

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Cuse fans still not believers in Lammers

That thread I'm pretty sure has been heavily edited.

The kid is the best CENTER in the league. Hands down. Easy.

Agreed.

Scanning over that thread was like a rerun of my experience yesterday at the game. I was sitting in the end zone (opposite the band) with a line of seven or eight Syracuse fans in the row behind me. Setting aside the one idiot who ignorantly ridiculed every half-learned fact about our players and our history (I mean, disparaging the Lethal Weapon Three remembrance? Really?), most of the row was constantly griping about how poorly their big guys were doing under the basket, offensively. They were upset that the team was letting this "nobody Dan Lammers-guy" make them look bad.

I had to restrain myself from turning around to say, "If you weren't so self absorbed about your own team, and actually paid any attention to what happens in the rest of the conference, you'd know that Lammers has been doing the same thing to pretty much everyone—including offensive players a heck of a lot better than yours." It's obvious that they were completely unaware that we have some of the best defensive stats in the conference nation, and that Lammers has been a big part of that defensive effectiveness.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The 'Cuse thread on Lammers is a follow-up to a conversation in another thread, where 'iommi' took heat pregame for calling Lammers one of the best bigs in the country. Iommi proved he knew what he was talking about, imo, and had watched GT prior.

The other context I think you guys are missing is the prior "Best Big" discussion included forwards. So, while I think Lammers is first or second team all-ACC personally, and easily a contender for best Center, that opens the door to a bigger pool of players e.g., Lydon, Meeks, Hicks, etc. I'd still take Lammers though I can see the case for others.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
My brother actually got in a "loud disagreement" with another 'Cuse fan at the game. Guy kept saying #4 for Syracuse is awful and needs to be pulled. My brother asked the guy if he knew the player's name. He didn't (it was Gillon). Therefore probably didn't know who'd even replace him. Lot of bandwagoners no doubt. Wish we had more ourselves even with some of the trade-offs.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
My brother actually got in a "loud disagreement" with another 'Cuse fan at the game. Guy kept saying #4 for Syracuse is awful and needs to be pulled. My brother asked the guy if he knew the player's name. He didn't (it was Gillon). Therefore probably didn't know who'd even replace him. Lot of bandwagoners no doubt. Wish we had more ourselves even with some of the trade-offs.

So at what point did you come in with the flying elbow to end the "discussion"? Oh well, probably don't post that. No need to give the prosecution any more evidence amirite?

Lastly, Lammers performing anywhere near this level come tourney time and we'll certainly have to sweat out a potential NBA leap.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So at what point did you come in with the flying elbow to end the "discussion"? Oh well, probably don't post that. No need to give the prosecution any more evidence amirite?

Lastly, Lammers performing anywhere near this level come tourney time and we'll certainly have to sweat out a potential NBA leap.

I think CJP quashed the notion of early NBA.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was unsure at beginning of the season whether we would win more than a couple of games in the ACC this year. Okogie has been a great surprise but Big Ben has been spectacular. I liked coaches comment about Ben concerned about a ME test day after a game and minutes he played. Pastner said he had never dealt with that before. Shows how different GT is and type of kids we recruit. Very proud of this team. Assistants are doing a great job. Now just need to get some target recruits.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This team plays really good defense as a team and Big Ben is a factor with his shot blocking. Amazing how he is able to play so many minutes and blocking shots without fouling out.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Syracuse fans around me were pissed Ben wasn't getting foul calls for blocks or over the back as if #20 wasn't doing the same thing. The refs let them play for the most part. I was OK with the no call in some of the presses by Cuse at the end but Tadrics offensive foul really set me off and then the no call on the over the back on the Syracuse free throws only duplicated it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Syracuse fans around me were pissed Ben wasn't getting foul calls for blocks or over the back as if #20 wasn't doing the same thing. The refs let them play for the most part. I was OK with the no call in some of the presses by Cuse at the end but Tadrics offensive foul really set me off and then the no call on the over the back on the Syracuse free throws only duplicated it.

OMFG I lost it on that no-called over-the-back. Those are the instances where late foul calls are ok IMHO. The guy clearly fouled Lammers and dislodged the ball to the point where it was likely to go out.

At that point, the official is supposed to blow a late whistle in the interest of common freaking sense. Let them play-on as long as Lammers cleanly rebounds the ball. If not, then it was obviously due to the contact so don't doubly-punish Lammers in that instance. College officiating, SMDH

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The one I lost it on was when JO went hard to the hoop and got a no call on a 50/50 one way or the other and then in the ensuing Syracuse play they got the exact same call.

Tadric definitely used the off hand to make space. I didn't see it until the replay. But he did it.

The Roberson call was he worst call of the game. They went from being able to cut the lead down to 2 or possibly 1 (I think) to us being up 6 again I think. If that call went against us this board would probably have to be shut down for a few days so we could collectively get a grip.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, I said in chat that that was an awful call. You just don't make that call, not in that spot. It has to be flat-out egregious. Even then it's open to criticism. That's a TV Teddie type of call. Blow the whistle then strut out to midcourt and make the little "chargeeeeee" motion for emphasis.

Teddie would've stared down the opposing coach just in case a T-able offense was uttered. He actually did this to one of our players (Moore, I think) in the last game of ours he reffed. He's got it down to a science.