BC Post Game Melt Down Thread

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
now this is a problem get of OC on the field or get a QB coach
Exactly. I think we eliminate a lot of the problems with offensive mistakes if we have an OC on the sidelines, or a QB coach to help teach Sims (or whoever is QB) during the game when they come off the field.

That would be huge!

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
This is B*** L**** bad.

I do not understand coming out flat and a defense that looks lost and uninspired. CGC has proven he has the defensive chops from previous SEC jobs. This is embarrassing.

Like others on this board, college football has been one of the joys of my life. But last week at Grant field watching Tech get b**** slapped by Clemson and another embarrassing loss today, football loses its enjoyment. I would love for this coaching staff to be successful. But historical losses do not help make a case for something special. I have been critical about the coaches, and yes I am venting after another embarrassing loss, but we need to see some improvement from this staff. Penalties, questionable special teams calls and time management leave me perplexed. I do not blame turnovers specifically on the coaches, but teaching ball security is part of the job of coaches.

Does anyone see improvement from the FSU game in any aspect of the game?

(Oh, and for all you recruiting guys, I still do not see a kicker in the recruiting list)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I hear the issue about coaching. That will be answered over 2021 and 2022. But, I also hold the players accountable. It shouldn’t take a coach ripping you by the facemask to not line up offsides on defense. Or not to jump offsides on a 3rd and 2 especially when any one can see the offense was probably not going to snap the ball. It shouldn’t take a coach to tell a six year player to not run past the kicker on an onside kick. Or for an offensive player to not move until the ball is snapped. I get it - that’s on the coaches. But, these are freaking grown men on the field and they need to look in the mirror. And how long is Sims going to go without learning to slide properly - it ain’t that hard, spend an hour watching Russell Wilson videos on youtube.

A lot of our issues can be easily addressed by the players giving a darn to get better. In how many games is our right tackle going to get multiple false start penalties until he decides he wants to be a better player. I tell you one thing - the most professional player who simply handles his business and wants to be good is Gibbs. Other players should follow his lead and just take their position on the team seriously. Gibbs doesn’t need a coach to tell him to use two hands when in traffic or to hit the hole on 3rd and 2 instead of dancing. These are things every player knows by the 8th grade.
There is plenty of blame to go around. There are a lot of things on the defensive side of the ball that appear to me to be coaching related. Not having a play called in until immediately before the snap so players don't know what to do basically until the snap. Fundamentals of trying to knock the person over or strip the ball instead of wrapping up and form tackling. (That could be on the players, but it almost appears to be every single player which would indicate to me that it isn't just player forgetting what he was taught.) The zones breaking down and leaving a TE 10 yards from any defender in the middle of the field could be from player lapses, but it happened too many times. I suspect the players are confused either because the plays are called in too late and they don't have time to figure out what to do, they haven't practiced the plays enough to know what to do, or the plays are too complicated to work well in a live game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Cuse...I'm not venting I just am concerned. This was not a rebuild. A rebuild was when O'Leary took over from Lewis. You coach to your personal. You need to win
I agree with some of this, not all. The most important point is I agree we need to win. And I see some coaching issues, sure. And whether we win now or not, it's not as important to me as whether there is hope for the future. Certainly today's game was frustrating and raises questions.

I see light at the end of the tunnel on O. On D it's only going to come through recruiting, if at all, and it's not a year 1 or 2 plug and play fix unless we get transfers.

I've generally been more patient than most across our current and prior coaches. My belief is each HC needs to be given the opportunity to win with their guys, which doesn't really materialize until year 3 or year 4 at the earliest because it's unreasonable to expect success from Frosh and Sophs. And, recruiting is never a sure thing (see GT's QB history), so I give a little leeway on the 3-4 year timeline too, unless a coach has clearly made their bed by then. We have a crap-ton of personnel issues at the most critical positions in the game based on what CGC inherited and what he wants to do (QB, OL, DL and maybe even FG kicker bc it's that bad right now).

Even if our current coaches have their own issues (and they do), I fear our fans will add the extra obstacle and create headwinds for our current HC, if they haven't already. That has has been this case with prior HCs too.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am not a fan of CGC or CDP. I do not see CGC as the master coach or recruiter that a lot of people do. I think he is a good recruiter, but not elite.

I do think Thacker has some promise but he is still learning and developing. I think opposing teams have more film on his tendencies this year and are doing a good job at exploiting them.

However, I am willing to give them all a pass this season. This year is a bit unprecedented and I want to see how a normal offseason translates to the field before jumping on the coaching staff too hard. Perhaps they took steps in the offseason to protect our players since we haven’t had major outbreaks. I don’t know, but even I will say that the current staff needs another season to see what they can do.

We ain’t been right in the kicking game since Harrison left.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
This speaks VOLUMES.
Screenshot_20201024-222952_Twitter.jpg

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was a bad snap but one that Sims needs to catch.

Later I noticed William Lay got some run at center starting fairly early in the 2nd half, if I'm remembering correctly. Made me wonder when he came in and for what reason, given the rest of the starting OL played almost the entire game.
This was just before the fumble. It might have been 12" above where he originally had his hands instead of 6".

1603593004849.png

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Advanced Box Score

I think PPA is broken a bit on 4th downs. I am fairly certain Graham got destroyed for his 4th and 13 play. While it wasn't a great play, I find it hard to really blame a kid on 4th and 13 and down a bunch, but it is what it is.

Positives
We did well when we got in scoring position.
Our OL did good job with rushing again (but we were not in a situation where we could establish the run sadly)
Our offensive success rate was actually pretty good

Nagatives
- You can find them yourself lol

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask do you really think Sims doesn't understand that turnovers are detrimental? Like if he gets benched and is told it's because of the turnovers that he'll suddenly have an epiphany and that is the cure all? That isn't good coaching. That's just putting on a spectacle to be able to look like you are doing something even if it doesn't actually address the issue. What sims needs isn't the for the point to get across that turnovers are bad. He certainly knows that. What he needs is experience and an offseason to reflect and study film. There is no shortcut for that. The reality is you don't play a true freshman QB and lean on him as much as we do and not expect these types of things to happen. Turnovers are about the only thing he has issues with right now with the exception of maybe pre snap adjustment. Those turnovers aren't a result of not "getting it". They are a result of asking too much out of a true freshman because that is what your team needs.

Again, benching Sims isn't better for his development. Experience is too big a deal at this point and the "message" isn't really a new thing. If you think Graham or another QB gives us a better chance then make the switch. If not then you leave Sims in, get him his development, hope he takes care of the ball and makes enough plays to give you a chance to win, and live with the mistakes that were a foreseeable outcome when the decision to play a true freshman QB was made.
I fully expect Sims knew TOs were bad before he came to GT That is a red herring The question is how to make his play change And it has to change or he won't be successful

So you can simply say oh it's ok just keep playing and I hope you get it or like any other position you take away playing time and work on it in practice

I am a Collins supporter but he has an issue with accountability with Sims and beyond It is up to him to figure out how to address it but simply playing Sims or others who are making the same mistakes repeatedly is worth a really hard question

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What was wrong with that snap? It was about six inches above where his hands started. It hit him directly in the hands. He just didn't catch it.

It looked high with a bit of an odd spin to it compared to normal but it was catchable. I think one of the factors is that Sims has had to field low snaps fairly consistently this year and probably has developed a first instinct to lower his hands because of it. That combined with the play looking like either a hand off or a mesh type look probably contributed to the effect of the snap being a bit high being more impactful than it should.

Overall I think both sides have issues. Sims needs to catch that, and in general we need our center to be more consistent with where the ball is being delivered to the QB.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
From what I'm seeing online, the media isnt being too kind to cgc about the mistakes today. Maybe just maybe this will.light a fire for him to make some adjustments.
I think many of us know this was going to be rough transition, but the mistakes today are fundamentals which is on the coaches

I agree with some of this, not all. The most important point is I agree we need to win. And I see some coaching issues, sure. And whether we win now or not, it's not as important to me as whether there is hope for the future. Certainly today's game was frustrating and raises questions.

I see light at the end of the tunnel on O. On D it's only going to come through recruiting, if at all, and it's not a year 1 or 2 plug and play fix unless we get transfers.

I've generally been more patient than most across our current and prior coaches. My belief is each HC needs to be given the opportunity to win with their guys, which doesn't really materialize until year 3 or year 4 at the earliest because it's unreasonable to expect success from Frosh and Sophs. And, recruiting is never a sure thing (see GT's QB history), so I give a little leeway on the 3-4 year timeline too, unless a coach has clearly made their bed by then. We have a crap-ton of personnel issues at the most critical positions in the game based on what CGC inherited and what he wants to do (QB, OL, DL and maybe even FG kicker bc it's that bad right now).

Even if our current coaches have their own issues (and they do), I fear our fans will add the extra obstacle and create headwinds for our current HC, if they haven't already. That has has been this case with prior HCs too.
Lol...Cuse. I have been going to Tech games since 1969...I have seen it all. And right now I think the staff needs to be coaches of the players..not friends. This team should be running Monday.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
What exactly do this speak volumes about? The dad of one of last year’s lowest rated recruits is upset his son isn’t playing as a freshman? What’s he gonna do? Transfer? He had 3 offers, and Tech signed 5 different DEs rated higher than his son. Not only is his kid a freshman, he’s not even close to being in the pecking order in terms of talent anyway.

This says nothing but a parent being upset their kid isn’t seeing the field.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
What exactly do this speak volumes about? The dad of one of last year’s lowest rated recruits is upset his son isn’t playing as a freshman? What’s he gonna do? Transfer? He had 3 offers, and Tech signed 5 different DEs rated higher than his son. Not only is his kid a freshman, he’s not even close to being in the pecking order in terms of talent anyway.

Lets go through the countless former players calling out the staff as well shall we?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

You'll soon start seeing other kids and parents being upset because guess what. Next week we lose by 40+.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Does the team practice? If so, how often? We are 2nd in the nation in penalties, have no sense of urgency, look sloppy in all aspects, can’t kick a simple PAT, look terrible on defense, etc. I love GT and want us to be successful, but something is wrong. Collins might be a great guy but I think he is in over his head.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The question is how to make his play change And it has to change or he won't be successful

You get him experience. It's that simple. There isn't always some magical coaching shortcut button. He's a true freshman. This isn't unexpected, and it's why you usually don't want to start a true freshman. But we aren't in a usual situation so you can't treat it as such.

r like any other position you take away playing time and work on it in practice

Benching him won't get him more practice time. He'll be getting that reps and work regardless. The comparison is literally just whether he develops better by actually playing vs standing on the sidelines, and the answer to that isn't close.

Benching to "send a message" or "hold him accountable" is just spectacle coaching. If it were a lack of effort or sportsmanship or something like that then it might have place. Otherwise it's amateur hour nonsense. Bench a player if the player behind him gives you a better chance to win.