BC Post Game Melt Down Thread

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I was expecting this year to be the real Year 1 for Collins, but that is even debatable because of covid. We didn't get to have regular spring camp, or fall camp. So technically we are in Year 2 of Collins contract but he really hasn't had a first year under his system with his guys with an actual normal training camp and offseason.
BC’s coach is in his first year. Using your logic, he just stomped our *** with a team that had a losing record last year and has consistently been last in the ACC in recruiting without having a year in his system.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It's worth a shot to let him watch defenses from the sideline and take mental notes. He is averaging 2+ turnovers a game, maybe let him sit out and start Graham, who looked improved from last year, and then start Sims again in a game or two.

So sideline mental notes are better than live reps? Geez Louise

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Amateur hour? you don't think any coach sits anyone for making the same mistakes over and over? OK sure

Yes. Making the decision to play a true freshman QB and relying heavily on him and then benching because, despite moving the ball and being good in many areas, he makes predictable freshman mistakes in favor of someone who played significantly worse last year is amateur hour. Like I've said. You don't bench him to send a message. You bench him if the back up player gives you a better chance to win.

Benching Sims isn't going to fix his turnover issues. It will actively work against that goal by getting him less experience.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Look I ***** about Curry not being very good all the time too and I mentioned this in the chat today - as bad as Curry is, he's the only one around to even consistently miss a tackle.

So the other team is either choosing to block everyone else and leave Curry unblocked because they don't think he's very good and will miss the tackle or nobody else on our defense even knows how to get off a block and put themselves in a position to make a play. I have a hard time believing anyone is purposefully scheming their offense for scenario #1.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It's worth a shot to let him watch defenses from the sideline and take mental notes. He is averaging 2+ turnovers a game, maybe let him sit out and start Graham, who looked improved from last year, and then start Sims again in a game or two.

Thought he was okay tonight. Kinda surprised to see people on him. That pick maybe doesn't happen if he isn't trying to do too much due to how far behind we were....or if McCollum fields the punt. Frankly, I would have left him in.

Didn't really see anything from Graham that changes my opinion. But ymmv

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes. Making the decision to play a true freshman QB and relying heavily on him and then benching because, despite moving the ball and being good in many areas, he makes predictable freshman mistakes in favor of someone who played significantly worse last year is amateur hour. Like I've said. You don't bench him to send a message. You bench him if the back up player gives you a better chance to win.

Benching Sims isn't going to fix his turnover issues. It will actively work against that goal by getting him less experience.
The only counterpoint to this is that Sims led the country in turnovers coming into the game. After the pick, down huge, maybe he chose to bench him in an effort to remove that status.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
We have mid 3 star OL, a 5 star DE, 4 star DT, a linebacker thats been here for 6 years but plays like its his first year. Two safeties that were hyped to make you believe they would be all ACC, 2 RBs that would start on probably 85% of the teams in the nation. We have 5, 4 star DBs in the secondary.

We out rank half of the ACC in TALENT. So we are saying the 4 stars aren't good?
This team has the most rated talent on it since the 2008-2010 teams.

Year 4 we all expected 10 wins not 6-7.
Fine. Be miserable. Nothing is gonna change coaching wise just because you’re unhappy. Expecting 10 wins from a Tech football season is statistically delusional.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Does the team practice? If so, how often? We are 2nd in the nation in penalties, have no sense of urgency, look sloppy in all aspects, can’t kick a simple PAT, look terrible on defense, etc. I love GT and want us to be successful, but something is wrong. Collins might be a great guy but I think he is in over his head.
Last year we were top 10 in fewest penalties/game and missed a single PAT. Same coaches.

So, I think the better question is what changed? I'll start with Covid, true freshmen and to answer your question about defense, our issues with a not great front 7 have been compounded by DL attrition.

There are certainly some elements of coaching that could be better, but other than expressing our feelings it's harder to define a root cause there.

Let's see what happens the rest of the way. Unfortunately some of our issues are not correctable simply via coaching.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
BC’s coach is in his first year. Using your logic, he just stomped our *** with a team that had a losing record last year
They also aren't starting the most FR, two of which being their starting QB and RB.. Just saying.

So sideline mental notes are better than live reps?
At this point? Yes. We haven't seen any improvement on Sims part while playing in games (I blame this on not having a coach on the sideline to talk to him and teach him since Patenaude is up in the box) So why not let him sit and watch defenses on the sideline without the weight of the game on his shoulders, he can watch and read schemes and what not, taking mental notes so he can recognize them later.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
This makes no sense man
What doesn't make sense?
Collins said this is the biggest transition in college football history from the TO to "modern football". What makes Collins qualified to lead that change? The idea is, what did he do previously as a head coach to make him the guy to successfully lead us to the promise land? He was mediocre at Temple. (To me anything shy of being undefeated in the AAC is mediocre in that conference.) So what makes him prepared and well versed to run a program from the TO into a new offense while also trying to change the entire culture, while trying to get the city of Atlanta to buy in to its own school?

I commend him for trying, but every game we are down by 21+ I start to think this will fail and we will look back in 20 years and say " I wish that worked, he had the passion". Passion doesn't always equal success. You can have a huge passion for singing but if you suck at singing you suck.

Collins is a great at marketing and coddling players. Being a HC seems to be a huge question mark.

What are the expectations with him? 6-7 win seasons with the occasional 8-9 win season?

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
They also aren't starting the most FR, two of which being their starting QB and RB.. Just saying.

At this point? Yes. We haven't seen any improvement on Sims part while playing in games (I blame this on not having a coach on the sideline to talk to him and teach him since Patenaude is up in the box) So why not let him sit and watch defenses on the sideline without the weight of the game on his shoulders, he can watch and read schemes and what not, taking mental notes so he can recognize them later.
I must have missed Gibbs and Sims playing defense today...

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

Kum by ya

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Look I ***** about Curry not being very good all the time too and I mentioned this in the chat today - as bad as Curry is, he's the only one around to even consistently miss a tackle.

So the other team is either choosing to block everyone else and leave Curry unblocked because they don't think he's very good and will miss the tackle or nobody else on our defense even knows how to get off a block and put themselves in a position to make a play. I have a hard time believing anyone is purposefully scheming their offense for scenario #1.
I'm with you here. Curry got to the right spots, in the backfield no less, a number of times today. That suggests great preparation and logically good coaching.

The fact that he couldn't deliver on those noteworthy plays is frustrating for sure, and I don't know how to say this nicely, but it's a player thing at that point.

Curry is in because he's the best we got. Folks calling for the back-ups are basing it on very little other than hope and prayer. There is a specific back-up that many mention - he athletically jumps off the screen - and that very back-up is so frequently way out of position that folks don't recognize him as at fault for defensive breakdowns. Curry is at least reliably in position and optically that puts him in the position to remain the rented mule for fan boards.

The silver lining here is you can see how a well-coached, more athletic LB will be able to succeed in our defense. A few more TFLs will do wonders.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
At the end of the day we can all bicker until we are blue as our new GT color. But until these kids decide to play football, earn their scholarships, and the coaches can put together a full complete game of sound play calling we will struggle across the board.

They need to shutdown the social media, need to stop worrying about the kids feelings and learn to play the game of football. They are ether over complicating the whole process or the kids are flat out not executing. Either way is extremely concerning as we are depleted of talent. We have sound kids that could be successful on other teams.