B Back Transfer - Patrick Skov

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agreed - the other big thing to remember is when we are routinely picking up the short yardage bback dives we wear down the defense and really see the 3rd and 4th Q shake free.

6 or 7 1st downs a drive demoralizes the Defense and makes them play higher risk plans to try to get us behind the schedule so to speak. That is when we see bback wheel routes or speed option to the corner that crushes team's and eats up yards.

I learned all this playing NCAA football on my xbox ;)

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
bump
Skov won’t be ‘anointed’ starting B-back

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/07/27/skov-wont-be-anointed-starting-b-back/

“We’re going to give him a chance to come in and compete,” coach Paul Johnson said. “He’s certainly a mature guy, a strong, cut-up looking guy. I think he can be good there. He’s still got to come in and beat out Marcus Allen and the guys that were there. We’re not just going to anoint him as the guy.”

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
"Johnson said that Skov, in comparison to the freshmen, may not be as gifted athletically, but has a “bigger, older, more mature body. Not that he’s a bad athlete – he’s probably a good athlete, but those freshmen are good athletes.”

Despite the lack of experience at the position, Johnson revealed no concerns.

“We’ll be O.K.,” he said. “Whoever plays B-back, they’ll have over 1,000 yards, two guys or one guy or whatever.”

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
BBack is not a special area of concern for CPJ (any more than every other position): " I feel comfortable if we had to play with Marcus."

The big question is whether we'll burn a RS. Hope we don't have to and the Allen / Slov is enough.....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
BBack is not a special area of concern for CPJ (any more than every other position): " I feel comfortable if we had to play with Marcus."

The big question is whether we'll burn a RS. Hope we don't have to and the Allen / Slov is enough.....
If one of the freshmen is good enough to beat out Allen and Skov, I'll be glad to burn the shirt.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know that CPJ's history is to have 1 featured guy at B-back. But, I'll declare I sure liked having the fresh, one/two punch of both Laskey and Days a year ago. Those were good times. It'd be nice to have any combination of 2 guys who make such a compelling case that he continues a 2-man rotation in there.

Just pounding other teams into submission from that position is a fun thing to watch.

In other news, he has not as yet asked me what my opinion is on this matter. An egregious oversight so far on his part. ;)

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Alot of heavy words by PJ to skov. Yes to skov. Paul is a master of using the media to motivate and get the most out of his players. He says the freshman are as athletic. He is just a good athlete. We are not worried about that spot. Allen has to be beaten out. Paul makes a ton of comments to mature guy he think can handle the challenge and i think this means paul sees something in skov he loves and wants to ignite.

We have seen him do this in the past with other players. Anyway may be i am reading into it. But paul is downplaying any hype and to a degree challenging him imo

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know that CPJ's history is to have 1 featured guy at B-back. But, I'll declare I sure liked having the fresh, one/two punch of both Laskey and Days a year ago. Those were good times. It'd be nice to have any combination of 2 guys who make such a compelling case that he continues a 2-man rotation in there.

Just pounding other teams into submission from that position is a fun thing to watch.

In other news, he has not as yet asked me what my opinion is on this matter. An egregious oversight so far on his part. ;)

I agree. Its one of the most fun things to watch. When you see a d just know they have no hope to stop it. We break their will.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Alot of heavy words by PJ to skov. Yes to skov. Paul is a master of using the media to motivate and get the most out of his players. He says the freshman are as athletic. He is just a good athlete. We are not worried about that spot. Allen has to be beaten out. Paul makes a ton of comments to mature guy he think can handle the challenge and i think this means paul sees something in skov he loves and wants to ignite.

We have seen him do this in the past with other players. Anyway may be i am reading into it. But paul is downplaying any hype and to a degree challenging him imo
Probably right on target. And whether Skov ever hears those comments or not (probably will), what CPJ said surely reflects the reality. Skov won't be handed the position. I hope he earns it, though. Because if he can come in and grasp it that quickly--and is that good-- then we are in nice shape.

Animal02

Banned

I don't care if it is the B back, A back or the QB, I love the grinding death marches that chew up 10 minutes off the clock. Others may think it is boring......to me, it is a thing of beauty. I love seeing the opposing QB standing on the side lines wondering when he will ever get back on the field.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

CPJ has a reputation as a "strait shooter" with the media and his players. It seems odd he'd play mind games in the media to motivate them. I'm not saying you're wrong on this because it sounds good to me. It's just that it stands in stark contrast to his reputation.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The thing I can't get my head around is whether I saw the same guy in the spring game as everyone else. I wonder if the fact that Allen was moved to the B as a kind of desperation Who else we got? kinda thing influenced the thinking. I saw a guy with power and speed, and that after just a handful of practices. My guess is he will really lay claim to the position in August. Skov will give him a rest every now and then and will play in short yardage. All the phenoms will redshirt. And if any of them don't redshirt, as cheese says, that one has a ton of talent.

Declinometer

Banned
I feel pretty sure whatever CPJ just said to the media in regards to Skov has already been said to the kid in person. He knows he is not being handed the position.

This isn't the NFL. Who in their right mind thinks that any position on a CPJ team would hv a job handed to them. <should not say this but.....> especially a transfer.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't care if it is the B back, A back or the QB, I love the grinding death marches that chew up 10 minutes off the clock. Others may think it is boring......to me, it is a thing of beauty. I love seeing the opposing QB standing on the side lines wondering when he will ever get back on the field.

Hutson.jpg

rsz_1006-fsf-fbc-hurricanes-brad-kaaya-pivadapt620high0.jpg

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

We message board guys have to remember that just because they don't ask doesn't mean they don't need to know. How else can we start fall practice?