B Back Transfer - Patrick Skov

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
With Skov experience pass blocking we maybe a lot more effective when we pass.

Qb roles right behind wall of burden Devine and joe with shov helping. The two freshman Jarrett and Cottrell who are faster than many wide receivers will present coverage issues for line backers. This could make the safeties give more respect to the center of the field making the wide receivers even more open

I love the idea of a bb that can pass block

That is a great point. But, how often was he actually on the field on passing downs? In practice, how many reps did he get on passing plays?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, there are many who still don't.
It might be more apt to say there are many who still hope he's wrong. A thin reed to pin one's opposition on. But in the scheme of things Smelter was an easy pick. Johnson had recruited him as a defensive back and receiver before he took the baseball route and then had two or three years to observe him up close.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if you are serious but CPJ always seems to find the right player. IIRC, some thought bringing DeAndre Smelter onto the roster was a joke. I trust CPJ and his decision making.
And I'd go as far to say CPJ has a very good track record with recruits panning out. The truth of the matter is, no coach bats .1000. Why do you think Saben over-recruits?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And I'd go as far to say CPJ has a very good track record with recruits panning out. The truth of the matter is, no coach bats .1000. Why do you think Saben over-recruits?
I actually think I could have a pretty good track record rating kids if I gave the stars to Saban and Richt recruits. They sign some great players. And they win a ton of games. But CPJ does pretty good with the ones we sign. I think Skov will be OK.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This probably hits the mark as well as anybody. I think too often sports fans, and particularly rabid followers of a team rather than the casual kind of drive-by curiosity seekers (I don't get NASCAR or the Indy 500, for instance. Never have, but I will read some stuff occasionally) impute way too much into what a coach is saying. Not everything has a hidden meaning, or is some mad scientist plot, and few coaches have time to be that devious with something that can blow up in their faces. With what we've seen of Johnson -- those closer to Atlanta more, those of us further away less -- it would be hard to find evidence of it. Somebody asks him a question and he answers, and maybe that is a problem. Nobody is used to that. Color me naive maybe but unless he shows a different flag, I'll take him at his word and his words at their meaning.

I agree, but also depends on the coach and situation. For instance...a guy like spurrier...is almost always beyond the words agenda with what he says. CPJ for me is a bit like that. Not always...for sure...but in some cases he is. A guy like Chip Kelly... has ulterior motive too....its just a fact coaches do use the media this way. Not acknowledging that is just as big a misuse of interpretation as you are stating it is to "always think there is something more". The fact is ...many times it just is what it is, and many times, there is a reason for the statement or an true angle behind it. In this case with skov, I am making a guess, that paul is stating more than just he has to earn his way. I think what paul said is pointed to a degree for some reason to make sure either skov is not taking it for granted. Or he likes what he sees and wants patrick to keep it up or whatever....but its just my guess at it...and to be honest no one will ever know the truth.

but thats what message boards and debates and discussions are for. If everyones point was vanilla, fact only and obvious, then we would be censored bland and lame society

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but also depends on the coach and situation. For instance...a guy like spurrier...is almost always beyond the words agenda with what he says. CPJ for me is a bit like that. Not always...for sure...but in some cases he is. A guy like Chip Kelly... has ulterior motive too....its just a fact coaches do use the media this way. Not acknowledging that is just as big a misuse of interpretation as you are stating it is to "always think there is something more". The fact is ...many times it just is what it is, and many times, there is a reason for the statement or an true angle behind it. In this case with skov, I am making a guess, that paul is stating more than just he has to earn his way. I think what paul said is pointed to a degree for some reason to make sure either skov is not taking it for granted. Or he likes what he sees and wants patrick to keep it up or whatever....but its just my guess at it...and to be honest no one will ever know the truth.

but thats what message boards and debates and discussions are for. If everyones point was vanilla, fact only and obvious, then we would be censored bland and lame society
He might just be talking to the other 84 more than he's talking to Skov. Assuring the rest of the team that he's not bringing in a "golden child" to take a spot away w/o earning it on the field of battle first. Balancing the psyche of 100+ young men, all with big egos, is not an easy task, by any means.

BBK

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm glad CPJ isn't batting .1000. I think we have a higher success rate than 1/10. haha

Last edited:

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if you are serious but CPJ always seems to find the right player. IIRC, some thought bringing DeAndre Smelter onto the roster was a joke. I trust CPJ and his decision making.
Skov came to us to prove he can be a dominate back. I would suspect he is working as hard as any freshman learning the plays, the mesh, and earning the respect of the his new team mates. It is going to be fun to hear about (since scrimmages are closed) our first scrimmage.
THWG

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I'm trying to temper my excitement for him/Allen together. Watching his HS film, he just trucks people on both sides of the ball.
Two things that excite me:
They used him out of the backfield quite a bit.I think the B back flat pass will be a weapon with both guys, much more so than recent years. Allen made two long gains with it in spring.
and
He blocked and ran goal line at a P5 conference. My main concern with Marcus is blocking from lack of experience.

I think PJ found the right balance of the ZL and SD to really decimate teams at the end of the year. The uga game and the orange bowl stood out, as Days got most carries early with Zach coming in fresh and running through them late in the game. I'm hoping this duo can do the same.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm trying to temper my excitement for him/Allen together. Watching his HS film, he just trucks people on both sides of the ball.
Two things that excite me:
They used him out of the backfield quite a bit.I think the B back flat pass will be a weapon with both guys, much more so than recent years. Allen made two long gains with it in spring.
and
He blocked and ran goal line at a P5 conference. My main concern with Marcus is blocking from lack of experience.

I think PJ found the right balance of the ZL and SD to really decimate teams at the end of the year. The uga game and the orange bowl stood out, as Days got most carries early with Zach coming in fresh and running through them late in the game. I'm hoping this duo can do the same.
I agree. He is quite the physical specimen, and he has the athleticism to be more than a fullback. Plus he could do this two years ago.....

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I agree. He is quite the physical specimen, and he has the athleticism to be more than a fullback. Plus he could do this two years ago.....

That 29 reps (from his soph year apparently) would have placed him second at the last NFL combine for RBs, 1 behind the leader (dude from Hawaii), and 7th overall over the past 5 combines. Basically, dude is skrong!