B Back Transfer - Patrick Skov

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think Skov will be a great compliment to Allen. Both big physical runners Skov more of the battering ram, Allen more of the home run threat.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I feel pretty sure whatever CPJ just said to the media in regards to Skov has already been said to the kid in person. He knows he is not being handed the position.
I think you're right. Because he's a little rough around the edges, folks underestimate that CPJ tries to do the right thing by being up front. I'm sure he's not perfect at it. If we've heard it, Skov probably heard that back when the offer of a spot on the roster was originally being made.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
With Skov experience pass blocking we maybe a lot more effective when we pass.

Qb roles right behind wall of burden Devine and joe with shov helping. The two freshman Jarrett and Cottrell who are faster than many wide receivers will present coverage issues for line backers. This could make the safeties give more respect to the center of the field making the wide receivers even more open

I love the idea of a bb that can pass block

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think Allen will be fine running the ball. He seemed less certain about what to do on the other play calls. He is a good athlete and a smart kid, so I expect that he now knows his blocking assignments.

Skov had a very different role in the Stanford offense. His job was basically to block for other people. I assume CPJ would not have made the offer if he did not have skills as a running back. Skov stated his desire to be part of the Tech offense, so I think he will work his tail off to learn the position as fast as possible. Given what I have seen and heard, I would not be surprised to see him gain close to a 1000 yards. I would also not be terribly surprised to see him get limited PT because Marshall or MLD worked their way into the rotation ahead of him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We'll be fine at BB. Both Allen and Skov are more natural at RB than David Sims was, and we were fine with Sims. BB wasn't a home run threat with Sims, but then again, having a home run threat at BB isn't a must. Though it is nice to see those long runs at BB every now and then like Synjyn's in the OB, and Dwyer dusting guys in the secondary.

Both Allen and Skov will be productive. Maybe not Days/Laskey productive, but we'll see. If we know anything about the BB position, it's that we don't start seeing huge numbers from them until after the first quarter of the season. So let's not get down on our BBs until after the first handful of games and they settle into the position. Even Dwyer needed to warm up the first few games.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We'll be fine at BB. Both Allen and Skov are more natural at RB than David Sims was, and we were fine with Sims. BB wasn't a home run threat with Sims, but then again, having a home run threat at BB isn't a must. Though it is nice to see those long runs at BB every now and then like Synjyn's in the OB, and Dwyer dusting guys in the secondary.

Both Allen and Skov will be productive. Maybe not Days/Laskey productive, but we'll see. If we know anything about the BB position, it's that we don't start seeing huge numbers from them until after the first quarter of the season. So let's not get down on our BBs until after the first handful of games and they settle into the position. Even Dwyer needed to warm up the first few games.
We didn't have a homerun threat last year, either. Neither Laskey nor Days were burners. Days' big run was a product of 4 missed tackles coupled with Days' strength and balance. We haven't had real speed at the position since AA was back there.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
We didn't have a homerun threat last year, either. Neither Laskey nor Days were burners. Days' big run was a product of 4 missed tackles coupled with Days' strength and balance. We haven't had real speed at the position since AA was back there.
very much like the Roddy play against ugag. Not much effort on that play by msu.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I feel like "missed tackles" makes it more about the tackler than the runner, and a lot of that was pure Days. The dude who dove at his thigh didn't even slow him down, and the guy who tried pushing him out of bounds barely moved him. That's a testament to how powerfully he was running. My guess is "leg hitter" probably had a sore shoulder after the attempt...that leg was strong!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has a reputation as a "strait shooter" with the media and his players. It seems odd he'd play mind games in the media to motivate them. I'm not saying you're wrong on this because it sounds good to me. It's just that it stands in stark contrast to his reputation.

oh he is totally telling the truth. But you can tell the truth as simple as "he has to earn it" without going as far to say the incoming freshman may be better athletes. Without saying Allen is 1 and probably just as good (ie thats the tone). Without saying these things...see, when you say these things your are challenging the dude more than just saying he has to earn it. When you call a guy just a good athlete, thats a direct deal. Its way more than being a straight shooter to me; its a flat out challenge. Or a light a fire. Or establishing a midset....

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
oh he is totally telling the truth. But you can tell the truth as simple as "he has to earn it" without going as far to say the incoming freshman may be better athletes. Without saying Allen is 1 and probably just as good (ie thats the tone). Without saying these things...see, when you say these things your are challenging the dude more than just saying he has to earn it. When you call a guy just a good athlete, thats a direct deal. Its way more than being a straight shooter to me; its a flat out challenge. Or a light a fire. Or establishing a midset....
To each his own but I always thought being the "good athlete" was more than just being the "good player". Good players are everywhere. You can't go to Walmart without tripping over a dozen. But in their day, probably not one was a "good athlete".

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am operating on the assumption CPJ has a better idea as to how much Skov needs to be challenged than any of us. What he said sounded reasonable to me.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has a reputation as a "strait shooter" with the media and his players. It seems odd he'd play mind games in the media to motivate them. I'm not saying you're wrong on this because it sounds good to me. It's just that it stands in stark contrast to his reputation.

I don't see "playing mind games in the media" as being contradictory to telling the truth. The best player is going to play the most and they always have to earn it.

What Johnson chooses to talk about in the media does put emphasis on the topic and when discussing players it can send those players a message Johnson wants to send that's the truth. Whether he is doing this purposefully or incidentally I have no idea.

Regardless, he is telling Allen he's got game and he feels comfortable going with him if he's the guy. That keeps a bounce in Marcus' step and keeps him fired up. He's also emphasizing to both Skov and the freshmen that this is a real competition and if they come in and play their hearts out they can win playing time. He points out Skov's strentghs (big, strong, mature), and the freshman RBs' strengths (wheels, quickness) and is basically telling all the participants that they bring something to the table so compete your arse off....you've got a decent chance.

Given our QB is good at making the reads and our OL is good/experienced plus historical stats, yeah whoever totes the rock will go over 1000 yds as a unit.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't see "playing mind games in the media" as being contradictory to telling the truth. The best player is going to play the most and they always have to earn it.

What Johnson chooses to talk about in the media does put emphasis on the topic and when discussing players it can send those players a message Johnson wants to send that's the truth. Whether he is doing this purposefully or incidentally I have no idea.

Regardless, he is telling Allen he's got game and he feels comfortable going with him if he's the guy. That keeps a bounce in Marcus' step and keeps him fired up. He's also emphasizing to both Skov and the freshmen that this is a real competition and if they come in and play their hearts out they can win playing time. He points out Skov's strentghs (big, strong, mature), and the freshman RBs' strengths (wheels, quickness) and is basically telling all the participants that they bring something to the table so compete your arse off....you've got a decent chance.

Given our QB is good at making the reads and our OL is good/experienced plus historical stats, yeah whoever totes the rock will go over 1000 yds as a unit.
Well said.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

This probably hits the mark as well as anybody. I think too often sports fans, and particularly rabid followers of a team rather than the casual kind of drive-by curiosity seekers (I don't get NASCAR or the Indy 500, for instance. Never have, but I will read some stuff occasionally) impute way too much into what a coach is saying. Not everything has a hidden meaning, or is some mad scientist plot, and few coaches have time to be that devious with something that can blow up in their faces. With what we've seen of Johnson -- those closer to Atlanta more, those of us further away less -- it would be hard to find evidence of it. Somebody asks him a question and he answers, and maybe that is a problem. Nobody is used to that. Color me naive maybe but unless he shows a different flag, I'll take him at his word and his words at their meaning.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
That's twice as far Skov was required to run at Stanford. They only gave him the ball on the 1 or 2yd line.
Not sure if you are serious but CPJ always seems to find the right player. IIRC, some thought bringing DeAndre Smelter onto the roster was a joke. I trust CPJ and his decision making.