B Back Transfer - Patrick Skov

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Remember in 1971 when Carson switched us to a "Notre Dame Offense"? Brent played wingback and spent most of his time catching the ball. Greg Horne was the TB. So, yes, you are right in that he wasn't strictly a WR, but that's what he ended up playing in fact.

Horne was pretty good, but we would have had more wins with Cunningham at TB.
I have a cousin that played on that team. I think you are mistaken.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You're old.
Yes I am. But that phrase has distinct GT memories for me. It brings me back to Thursday nights at PJ's Haley's Nest where GT football player Nate Kelsey spun tunes to a gyrating, packed, hot, sweaty, sticky, dark dance floor where the bar was constantly 5+ deep. Getting hammered on cheap swill in plastic cups then stumbling blindly home to campus in the wee hours... Oh the memories......

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK, one more...
Declinometer said:
it's all about that mesh, about that mesh, about that mesh
bke1984 said:
No fumble
CTJacket said:
I'm pullin' the ball baaaaaaaaaaaaack

Oh, you think you're fast?
I just took it 50 yards for another T D

Why do I get the feeling that yall are picturing Shamire twerking while you're typing this stuff?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Since this thread is about Skov, and since Stanford is Pacific Coast, one of the college presidents out there is lobbying to end the graduate transfer rule. If one wants to play football, one would have to stay at the school he just graduated from ... whether or not it offered a master's degree in a field you wanted. Remember, after all, this is the NCAA, which is supposed to be about athletics but not about athletes.

Since this thread is about Skov, and since Stanford is Pacific Coast, one of the college presidents out there is lobbying to end the graduate transfer rule. If one wants to play football, one would have to stay at the school he just graduated from ... whether or not it offered a master's degree in a field you wanted. Remember, after all, this is the NCAA, which is supposed to be about athletics but not about athletes.
The almighty dollar rules brother. You didn't know that lol?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have been wanting to see this style of runner at BB for quite a while, you know, a high end physical guy who can really pound it. We have had some tough guys at the position in Allen, Sims, and Days, but I think you will find this kid to be from a slightly different mold. I might be wrong, but I think we will see a kid like some of those we saw at NAVY all those years. Obviously there isn't a ton of recent film with him toting the rock, but if Stanford used him in goal to go situations with the running backs they had available, then you know he is physical.

When you think about it, we run the BB almost as if it is goal to go, no watter what down it is or where we are on the field. The goal is to force the defense to concentrate the forces on the inside to create the numbers advantage for us outside. Skov should be pretty good for us in that regard.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have been wanting to see this style of runner at BB for quite a while, you know, a high end physical guy who can really pound it. We have had some tough guys at the position in Allen, Sims, and Days, but I think you will find this kid to be from a slightly different mold. I might be wrong, but I think we will see a kid like some of those we saw at NAVY all those years. Obviously there isn't a ton of recent film with him toting the rock, but if Stanford used him in goal to go situations with the running backs they had available, then you know he is physical.

When you think about it, we run the BB almost as if it is goal to go, no watter what down it is or where we are on the field. The goal is to force the defense to concentrate the forces on the inside to create the numbers advantage for us outside. Skov should be pretty good for us in that regard.
I take it then -- and I may be overstating this -- that you see the burst by the Bback as almost incidental to his role, and that runs of 4-6 yards and the occasional 12-15 will serve the purpose of keeping the defense focused on stopping the dive? Would that make Thomas, as well as the Abacks, more successful or at least give them better opportunities at the edge? I ask because it seems you are saying you prefer this type of back. Don't make no never mind to me as long as we get speed and quickness loose.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Main thing is get the mesh point right, get to it to it quickly, and hang onto the ball.

Beyond that a lot of styles will work. Laskey and Days were both highly effective.

Skov's potential upsides are blocking and power running. From HS film looks like he can take a little outlet pass too.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I take it then -- and I may be overstating this -- that you see the burst by the Bback as almost incidental to his role, and that runs of 4-6 yards and the occasional 12-15 will serve the purpose of keeping the defense focused on stopping the dive? Would that make Thomas, as well as the Abacks, more successful or at least give them better opportunities at the edge? I ask because it seems you are saying you prefer this type of back. Don't make no never mind to me as long as we get speed and quickness loose.
Hey man, I love the home run hitters at BB too. That gives the defense something to worry about as well, in a big way.

CPJ has shown that he is perfectly willing to punch the defense in the stomach repeatedly for 5 yard gains via the dive if they fail to adjust. As a baseline, I want a guy at BB that is really really hard to stop short of 4 yards. From there, if he can house it with some regularity, then I am certainly cool with it. A steady diet of successful BB runs is a sure death sentence for the defense. You saw how the BB set up the option plays on the edge in the orange bowl. All that stuff was set up by the punishing runs to the BB, over and over and over.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hey man, I love the home run hitters at BB too. That gives the defense something to worry about as well, in a big way.

CPJ has shown that he is perfectly willing to punch the defense in the stomach repeatedly for 5 yard gains via the dive if they fail to adjust. As a baseline, I want a guy at BB that is really really hard to stop short of 4 yards. From there, if he can house it with some regularity, then I am certainly cool with it. A steady diet of successful BB runs is a sure death sentence for the defense. You saw how the BB set up the option plays on the edge in the orange bowl. All that stuff was set up by the punishing runs to the BB, over and over and over.
And to reiterate, what is going to make all of the options in this offense successful is that we have an excellent offensive line which will keep most any thing we run from being a loss and which will probably get us at least two yards even on an "unsuccessful" play call.