Attrition and Scholarship Limits

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I thought by "processing" we were talking about players who were at Tech for an education who were giving 100% on the field but who were being told "you don't fit our plans here so you need to find another school."

I thought we were saying that we would not do that as well as saying we are not going to let a kid jerk his professors and academic coaches around for two years just so he can have a shot at football glory and making the pros.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
It’s not all on the coach. If you recruit players that just want to play school you don’t have the commitment and when things get tough or they have a choice between following the rules or not instead of making the right decision they pick the wrong path.

And if you recruit players that don't have a commitment to working hard at athletics to earn their scholarship the coach or a review board should be able to take them off scholarship. Most academic scholarships require a 3.0 or similar to maintain the scholarship. Why should an athletic scholarship be different? If taking players off scholarship for laziness is "processing," then "processing" occurs frequently on the academic side as well--at all schools.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Again, I was thinking of something else entirely. But I guess we each have in mind a different scenario, each of which is plausible but each of which may have greater or lesser applicability to Tech. At Alabama, for instance, they've been known to have as many as 100 on the roster at various times all of whom have been promised scholarships at one time or another. These "100 scholarship players" get churned through the mill until Saban decides who is worthy. Meanwhile, parts of the fan base discussion in the off season is guessing who the 85 scholarship players are going to be. That is the extreme version of processing. What I heard on this site is that Tech would never do that and a scholarship offer was a gentleman's agreement that Tech would never rescind without just cause.

A coach not recruiting the right player or having buyer's remorse was not considered just cause.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I have it on even higher ground that if we maintain this phony, elitist, whining, holier than thou attitude, do as I say not as I do while stealing from the taxpayers that things will get worse for the entire school.

Simple minds can not comprehend that, for time immemorial, GT like every school has lost S/As for reasons having nothing to do with so called “processing.”

Just an excuse for those not caring about the entire school as they should and embracing an attitude of “I am the coach making millions regardless, why should I recruit as hard as my comp as long as I have sent a letter to a great player when it is easier for me to go after kids committed to vmi?”

This post seems to reflect a "holier than thou" attitude to me.

It is not "elitist" to believe that GT doesn't currently have the football cachet of georgie, bama, lsu, or mich.

When I was at Tech, before the UselessNews started including student satisfaction or whatever in its rankings, Tech didn't really care about student retention. The best students in the South wanting to become engineers would always apply. Those that survived would be well trained.

The schools that traditionally oversign and process can have the same attitude about football.

By processing, we're not talking about natural attrition. There will always be guys that leave, for whatever reason. Processing refers to guys who are academically eligible and planning on returning being told that their scholarship won't be available.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Processing refers to guys who are academically eligible and planning on returning being told that their scholarship won't be available.

Not to me. Thats just getting kicked out. Processing is the roster management tactic of taking a kid on ship, eligible, and making his life abundantly clear he is below the line, will never see a down, making his life hard, frank that he can stay on ship but transferring is probably the best way to go, helping him transfer and boom gone

Hence atl and btl

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not to me. Thats just getting kicked out. Processing is the roster management tactic of taking a kid on ship, eligible, and making his life abundantly clear he is below the line, will never see a down, making his life hard, frank that he can stay on ship but transferring is probably the best way to go, helping him transfer and boom gone

Hence atl and btl

I guess you're one of the guys that actually believes he still makes the decision when he responds to pressures from his wife.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Processing Bama style has absolutely nothing to do with laziness or not trying hard, and everything to do with ruthlessly culling out players to make room for who the coach thinks may be better. Calvin Johnson could have been somewhat lazy, even at Bama, and still would not have been processed because he is still better than any alternative still in HS.
Coach Dodd left the SEC due to running kids off (old term) or processing (new term). As for not trying hard, he would jerk a scholarship for cutting class! Not sure Saban has ever done that at any stop.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There are two parts to the numbers we are recruiting. One is how many transfers we will have and the second is how many stay committed. Last year two decomitted and 8 transferred, creating 10 extra spots. We oversigned by 3, gave 1 scholarship to a walk on, got 5 transfers, and signed an extra recruit for the last spot. I think CGC is not processing anyone, he is being prepared for the natural high attrition that everyone is facing and that will happen because of the change in philosophy in recruiting. This is a change we need to get used to. We can’t panic at every decomitt or transfer. He has a plan and is not waiting for those things to cause problems.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Elitists that donate are great!

Its the non elite gt alumni that expect results w o resources.

The good eleite know we have high academic standards and a narrow techniacal course of study , so they give extra.

Ga tech alumni are right next to the bottom of the barrel when it comes to doing more than pearl clutching ( excuse making for not giving??)

Hopefully tstan and cgc can create a culture that stops the mocking of other schools by the so called smart gt grads.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The natural attrition as defined by the last 10 years is 8-9 per year with a couple of 3-4 year periods where we had 12.

Imo, we had way way too little attrition in the offensive position coaches.

This year - the morgans - who didn't sniff the field as starter are r sr and part of team leadership. They were ready to forgo their redshirt sr year and leave until the new staff came.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The natural attrition as defined by the last 10 years is 8-9 per year with a couple of 3-4 year periods where we had 12.

Imo, we had way way too little attrition in the offensive position coaches.

This year - the morgans - who didn't sniff the field as starter are r sr and part of team leadership. They were ready to forgo their redshirt sr year and leave until the new staff came.
I could be wrong but I thought one of the Morgan's started a couple of games . I think both will do better in this scheme . The youngest Matthew is not on scholarship and I think he would be a red shirt freshman.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong but I thought one of the Morgan's started a couple of games . I think both will do better in this scheme . The youngest Matthew is not on scholarship and I think he would be a red shirt freshman.
Only injury duty then out.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I keep reading on this forum that coaches plan to kick players off the team to add more players to this years class. I have not read any quote from a coach saying this, but usually where there is smoke, there is fire. Is this true?

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
I keep reading on this forum that coaches plan to kick players off the team to add more players to this years class. I have not read any quote from a coach saying this, but usually where there is smoke, there is fire. Is this true?

I have no insider information, but I'd wager that kids will absolutely get nudged to transfer, graduate and move on, etc in order to free up roster spots. That's part of big-boy college football... whether you like it or not, that's what happens if you want to win.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
No coach would make a statement like that it would destroy the team. Just wait and let things play out before getting upset.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

It’s not as much a smoke/fire thing as much as it is a math thing. We’re gonna be over. Potentially by a lot.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I think there are legal tricks to take advantage before anything disagreeable takes place. Early enrolment somehow can adjust the numbers.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Yeah the only “legal trick” I know of is Bama literally redacting their scholarship number reports. Because that’s a thing that actually happened. Like recently.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Saban doesn't announce it as policy.