Attrition and Scholarship Limits

I think these are tough conversations because no one is ever really clear about how these things are actually handled. I would think it would be really rare for a player to insist on remaining under the circumstances you describe. But who knows?

In the end, I trust the staff to do right by our SAs to the best of their ability. At the same time, I wouldn't want to hold us to an unrealistic ideal that hurts our ability to compete at the D1 level.
One reason a kid might choose to stay is because he values the education he is getting at Tech and doesn't want to go elsewhere simply to play football. That might be rare, but it's definitely possible.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Click on the link I added , now not sure how they count attendance if it's real or tickets sold. I get 3 season tickets but most the time only use 2 because I'm kind of fat.
I clicked and noticed, ON AVERAGE we were about 16 k under capacity. I imagine the real number to be about 20 k below capacity.

Animal02

Banned
Well...... it's happening. There needs to be a new crop of GT fans to take the reigns anyhow. Not trying to sound like a dirtbag, but a few dozen football players arent going to ruin GT academics. There are plenty of brilliant scientists on campus right now that will back me up on that. I dont care what the hell the GTAA does, I wanna win championships and beat Georgia by 40 on a regular basis and my family, who have been season tix holders for almost 4 decades want the same thing. sorry not sorry...
Completely wrong...GTAA moves to championships first, students and academics second, support will drop like a rock. BTW, it is far easier to retain fans/ customers than to generate new ones

Deleted member 2897

Medical exemptions pay for the academic scholarship and it doesn’t count against the NCAA 85 scholarship limit. It’s how Bammer, etc carry 125+ on scholarship despite the fact the limit is 85. It’s about time GT woke up & realized it’s not 1955 any more.

BTW just in case you think he’s exaggerating that Bama has 125+ on scholarship - he’s not. The last time I saw that list there were like a dozen who had over 110+.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Disagree completely. I have taken great pride in GT not being just another school in search of a NC. The fact that we treat student athletes as students first is of great satisfaction. GTAA starts treating them as another piece of meat and I will move on.

The myth you have constructed about Georgia Tech football players is unbelievable. We’ve had multiple players on this board tell you it isn’t the way you think it is but you refuse to let go.

Cnkraider

Jolly Good Fellow
Please use real numbers I have been going to all home games since 1981 other than in 1981 the stadium has not been under 1/2 . Was attendance bad last year ? Yes but not 1/2 full we have 55,000 seats.
it's just sad to see a team u love play in front of an empty stadium. I don't have the numbers but the stadium was not full. If it was like Miami. It was alot of there fans.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
One reason a kid might choose to stay is because he values the education he is getting at Tech and doesn't want to go elsewhere simply to play football. That might be rare, but it's definitely possible.

I think others have mentioned there are ways to let them get their degree and even have it paid for, just not be on the team. I am not an expert on that, though.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Completely wrong...GTAA moves to championships first, students and academics second, support will drop like a rock. BTW, it is far easier to retain fans/ customers than to generate new ones

Sorry. If you really think most of our fans would rather be Vandy or Rice than Clemson in football, I think you must be in some sort of bubble. That is a wildly innacurate take on the pulse of this fanbase.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
it's just sad to see a team u love play in front of an empty stadium. I don't have the numbers but the stadium was not full. If it was like Miami. It was alot of there fans.
Agree but these numbers count visiting fans. I really liked CPJ but I know it was time for a change. It's very hard for any head coach to stay at the same place over 10 years ( A few maybe but very few )

Animal02

Banned
The myth you have constructed about Georgia Tech football players is unbelievable. We’ve had multiple players on this board tell you it isn’t the way you think it is but you refuse to let go.
There is no myth.....what players have had their scollys dropped for poor performance on the field.? Those that advocate doing so are reprehensible.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think others have mentioned there are ways to let them get their degree and even have it paid for, just not be on the team. I am not an expert on that, though.
The only way is through medical scholarship. Those are granted to SA's who injure themselves so severely they can no longer play football. Jaylend Ratliffe is an example of a GT SA on medical scholly. Now Bama has been known to give these to uninjured players with trumped up injuries to free up scholarships but it is completely unethical. I don't want us to do it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Question , and this is only an example if a player from Georgia who is on the Hope scholarship count as one of the 85 ? if not what else can Tech give him ? ( Room and Food )