Attrition and Scholarship Limits

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Why did I jump back into this? :banghead::banghead::banghead: lock it to save us from ourselves! Lol

The bottom line is the only way you avoid conundrums like this is by undersigning. Some of ya'll would do that. I wouldn't.

Peace out..again.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Why did I jump back into this? :banghead::banghead::banghead: lock it to save us from ourselves! Lol

The bottom line is the only way you avoid conundrums like this is by undersigning. Some of ya'll would do that. I wouldn't.

Peace out..again.

I'm not advocating undersigning. I'm advocating making an exception for Wells and prioritizing and finding a way to get him on scholarship if he wins the starting job, come hell or high water. I believe he will get one if he wins the job. I don't see any other reasonable alternative.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

The section you noted says that if a player is cleared to play again that "the institution shall be required to count that financial aid under the limitations of this bylaw in the sport in question during each academic year in which the financial aid was received" . That means that if a medical scholarship player plays again, that his scholarship would count for the entire time that he wasn't a counter. So if a medical scholarship football player does play again and the team was at the 85 scholarship limit while he was on medical that the team exceeded the allowed scholarships. In short, the only way a medical could be moved back to scholarship would be if the team didn't actually count the scholarship that he vacated. Your idea of moving players in and out to keep at 85 wouldn't work.

LibertyTurns

Banned
When King is in his 5th year riding the pine and Wells paid all of his 4yrs, we’ll be able to celebrate our sense of moral superiority over all those other schools lying, cheating and stealing. I hope someone at least buys Wells a beer for his 4 years of free efforts for the White and Gold (and Blue) once he’s graduated.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@RonJohn I’m certainly no expert on this but if some schools can have 115-125 guys on scholarship, GT should be able to figure out how to carry 5 or 10 more at a minimum. We’re supposed to be smarter than the butt licking knuckle draggers up the road.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Which schools have 115 FB players on scholarship?
I’ll see if I can find the old post, but you can pretty much take the Teams in the Top 25. The higher up the list the more kids they’re carrying on scholarship generally, but to a man they all max out at 85 and process if you will the others with medical, etc

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I am pretty sure that a medical scholarship is only available to a player who have what the doctors define as a career ending injury. Once you are placed on a medical scholarship, you can't play at that school again. There are a few SAs who were placed on medical at one school, transferred, and were then cleared by the doctors at the new school to play. Once placed on medical, the player will never play for that school again.

It isn't like the injured reserve list in the NFL. The school is saying that the player's injury or health are too bad to ever play the sport again. Think about the reasons GT players were put on medical scholarships; Traumatic brain injury, serious heart issues, etc. The doctors have basically said that the players risk death if they play football.
Yeah, I guess a lot of programs have removed the splinter in the players' pinky from Tuscaloosa, huh?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Has Wells or King proven to CGC that either deserves a ship at this moment? IDK

But maybe after a season of watching what happens in real games, he will know better.

Butkers are rare. I have no idea, but are there not several kickers on this level that have produced big time and still not on ship?

Just seems to me that, at this moment, we are not in position to have 2 players on ship that perform these duties.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’ll see if I can find the old post, but you can pretty much take the Teams in the Top 25. The higher up the list the more kids they’re carrying on scholarship generally, but to a man they all max out at 85 and process if you will the others with medical, etc

Processing, at least as I define it, is forcing a SA to leave the team or forcing a SA to take a not-really-validated-medical scholarship so that you can fill his spot with another recruit. Sometimes the SAs have some kind of minor to major injury that isn't career ending, but they are still put on medical. More often than that, the players are just told that they must leave the team. Those who are told to leave the team do not count as any kind of scholarship.(85 limit or medical) That is why I think you will have a hard time finding a school with 30 medical scholarship kids.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
One thing I do have to say about the original post to this thread: I don't think there is any reason to be concerned about being three over at this point. Players leave pretty much every Spring for various reasons. I think that at least three will:
  • Graduate and get a job offer that they don't want to turn down.
  • Be unhappy with their potential spot in the new systems.
  • Be unhappy with the new coaching staff/position coach.
  • etc.
I don't believe the coaches will be left in a position where they have to consider anything nefarious.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I mean this sincerely, but how in God's name are you just now realizing this bro?

I mean this sincerely. You still haven’t named a single name. Put up or shut up.

There is little media reporting about signed players getting screwed over. Please cite any I have not already if it’s so blatant. You don’t really think this rampant processing would go unreported do you?

Milwaukee

Banned
I mean this sincerely. You still haven’t named a single name. Put up or shut up.

There is little media reporting about signed players getting screwed over. Please cite any I have not already if it’s so blatant. You don’t really think this rampant processing would go unreported do you?

You're not going to hear Bobby, George, Chan, or Paul come out and make an official statement about how they nudged a player out because they weren't cutting it on the field of play. I don't know how much slower I can say it, I just think you're going to die on that hill until me or @Ibeeballin "gives you a name, and puts up"...and that's okay. The dirty part of the business isn't advertised and bragged about in the local paper. I just have a real hard time believing you're as naïve as you're trying to put on, I think you're just being purposely stubborn. We've had mass exodus' of players leaving the program, and you're trying to tell me you think they all just left because they had a "change of heart". This is literally the 4th time I've had to explain this to you, so I don't know how else I can put it to you, and that's okay. But I'm more concerned about you being picked for jury duty in our society. {Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you'll see the suspect and the victim walk behind the building here on the tape. The suspect is clearly holding the murder weapon and then when they're out of frame you'll hear the gunshot. The suspect is immediately seen back in the frame sprinting in the other direction and throwing the gun in the alley} I'm afraid you'd be the juror that stands up and says "But show me where he put that gun to the man's chest and pulled the trigger, otherwise I'm not buying all these theatrics" lmao pretty scary thought.

I'm only kidding but you get the point. If you want to believe that 129 schools are doing something and we're the 1 team that doesn't then that's fine by me, I'll let the point go with you. You can believe in Santa or the Tooth Fairy as well, I will not stand in your way chief.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Please ban me until this stupid post is over. Not one opinion here is going to change a damn thing that this coaching staff does.

Milwaukee

Banned
tenor.gif

Animal02

Banned
You're not going to hear Bobby, George, Chan, or Paul come out and make an official statement about how they nudged a player out because they weren't cutting it on the field of play. I don't know how much slower I can say it, I just think you're going to die on that hill until me or @Ibeeballin "gives you a name, and puts up"...and that's okay. The dirty part of the business isn't advertised and bragged about in the local paper. I just have a real hard time believing you're as naïve as you're trying to put on, I think you're just being purposely stubborn. We've had mass exodus' of players leaving the program, and you're trying to tell me you think they all just left because they had a "change of heart". This is literally the 4th time I've had to explain this to you, so I don't know how else I can put it to you, and that's okay. But I'm more concerned about you being picked for jury duty in our society. {Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you'll see the suspect and the victim walk behind the building here on the tape. The suspect is clearly holding the murder weapon and then when they're out of frame you'll hear the gunshot. The suspect is immediately seen back in the frame sprinting in the other direction and throwing the gun in the alley} I'm afraid you'd be the juror that stands up and says "But show me where he put that gun to the man's chest and pulled the trigger, otherwise I'm not buying all these theatrics" lmao pretty scary thought.

I'm only kidding but you get the point. If you want to believe that 129 schools are doing something and we're the 1 team that doesn't then that's fine by me, I'll let the point go with you. You can believe in Santa or the Tooth Fairy as well, I will not stand in your way chief.
Wall of text and you cannot name a single name. :rolleyes: