Attrition and Scholarship Limits

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
And that, my friends, is processing.

Nobody...Saban, Smart, Dabo, Paul, Richt, nobody publicly pulls a kids scholly because he's not as good as they were hoping he'd be. This weird definition that a couple of you have in your head about what you think processing is simply doesn't exist on the planet. But what ibee is referring to and what I've said now 8 times, IS PROCESSING A PLAYER OUT. GT does this, and I know you think it's dirty and you don't like it. But it's just business at the D1 level.

/thread

And be sure to tip your waitress, ladies and gentlemen. Thanks for coming.
I disagree. I don't think that's processing. I think that's being honest with the kid. It becomes processing when the coach tells the kid he's off the team, pulls his athletic scholarship, or offers some other type of scholarship to stay in school (i.e. medical waiver).

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Hard for me to know at this point whether CGC will handle GT’s year-to-year football scholarships just like Saban at Alabama does. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Animal02

Banned
I have read the thread. You keep going around in circles. Just because you don't understand specifics about what whiskey is saying doesn't mean that he is speaking about the same thing as ibeeballin. Your attitude and responses remind me of William H Macy selling cars in Fargo. Just ignore what the person is saying and keep repeating some vague statements over and over.
It is exhausting to him because few if any are buying the bull**** he is trying to sell.

Animal02

Banned
I disagree. I don't think that's processing. I think that's being honest with the kid. It becomes processing when the coach tells the kid he's off the team, pulls his athletic scholarship, or offers some other type of scholarship to stay in school (i.e. medical waiver).
Kind of funny seeing him doing a victory dance after losing.
He is the only one that has insisted that processing include being honest with a kid. Everyone one else has defined it as involuntarily pulling a kids scholly.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about processing like some of the factories are purportedly doing, but I guarantee some of these Tech players are looking at their playing time, getting feed back from the coaching staff about their playing time and their potential playing time, compare that to the level of effort they have to put in in the class room and choose to transfer somewhere else. I'm hearing that some feel this is processing and some don't. In order to have a true discussion, I think the terms need to be clearly defined. And in the end, I don't think any of these kids want to proclaim that the coach told them they weren't good enough to get on the field. Just transfer out and go play somewhere else. I think Vad Lee saw the writing on the wall. But that's merely my speculation.
Yeah, what you just described is not processing.

Wonder if yesterday's NCAA continuation and at least implicit validation of the current GA transfer rule as well as that for non-GA transfers will have any effect on the ACC's far more limited within-conference transfer rules.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Kind of funny seeing him doing a victory dance after losing.
He is the only one that has insisted that processing include being honest with a kid. Everyone one else has defined it as involuntarily pulling a kids scholly.

I think a lot of posters in this thread overestimate the number of players who stay at a school when the coach flat out tells them they will not play. All these kids want to play.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of posters in this thread overestimate the number of players who stay at a school when the coach flat out tells them they will not play. All these kids want to play.

This. Rarely, if ever would a coach, even Saban, have to do anything besides tell the kid what is up. The idea of players adamently trying to remain on a team when the've been told they don't have a future there is hypothetical fantasy. This entire thread is people arguing with strawmen and splitting the tiniest hairs.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of them overestimate how many in each sigining class are here for four years . If they would go back and look 50% would be high for any year. I have no idea why they leave and really don't care as long as it's not an injury.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Coach basically told players it’s best he move on bc will not play

And that, my friends, is processing.

That is not processing. Processing is saying you not only aren't going to play, but I'm not going to renew your scholarship. All of us have said we're fine with any coach being completely honest about playing time. Where we draw the line is when a coach pulls schollies because of it. To the best of my knowledge, CPJ never yanked a scholly if a kid din't leave.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
That is not processing. Processing is saying you not only aren't going to play, but I'm not going to renew your scholarship. All of us have said we're fine with any coach being completely honest about playing time. Where we draw the line is when a coach pulls schollies because of it. To the best of my knowledge, CPJ never yanked a scholly if a kid din't leave.

Ok, so that is your definition. Now, can you prove that any coach or any school is doing it that way? What poor @Milwaukee has been trying to explain to folks is that the process is the same everywhere. Now, maybe some coaches call more players into their office for that conversation at the end of the year than others? Probably so.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok, so that is your definition. Now, can you prove that any coach or any school is doing it that way? What poor @Milwaukee has been trying to explain to folks is that the process is the same everywhere. Now, maybe some coaches call more players into their office for that conversation at the end of the year than others? Probably so.
Thank you. Voice of reason as always.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

@Whiskey_Clear posted some links. One of them was about players who originally we walk-ons. They were put on scholarship. There was a coaching change and at the end of the school year they received scholarship renewal notices that said their assistance amount was now $0. @Milwaukee replied to that post and said that GT does the exact same thing.

There are plenty of articles about players saying that Alabama pressured them to sign medical scholarship papers even though they didn't have career ending injuries.

Those kinds of things do indeed happen.

Milwaukee

Banned
@Whiskey_Clear posted some links. One of them was about players who originally we walk-ons. They were put on scholarship. There was a coaching change and at the end of the school year they received scholarship renewal notices that said their assistance amount was now $0. @Milwaukee replied to that post and said that GT does the exact same thing.

There are plenty of articles about players saying that Alabama pressured them to sign medical scholarship papers even though they didn't have career ending injuries.

Those kinds of things do indeed happen.

Ffs man you are a piece of work. Here we go, the coaches call the players into their office and give them the speech about how they're simply not going to see the field if they stay. Player decides to leave. You're okay with that, correct? You with me so far? Good.

If that player still wants to stay he doesn't kick them off the team and say "Go home" lol. Do you realize the publicity that would get? Now for the umpteenth time what the coach does is have that same conversation with as many players AS POSSIBLE until one of them leaves. That is called processing, and it's normal. I think you'd like to think it's rainbows and sunshine and the coach is just looking out for the player. But what the coach is doing is freeing up a scholly for a better prospect. And those little "sitdowns" will go on until the coach gets that extra spot he needs. The part that is most amusing is that this is commonplace and 3 or 4 of you act like we're speaking French.

If you still have any further questions I'm sure I'll be swarming until about 10pm or so.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ffs man you are a piece of work. Here we go, the coaches call the players into their office and give them the speech about how they're simply not going to see the field if they stay. Player decides to leave. You're okay with that, correct? You with me so far? Good.

If that player still wants to stay he doesn't kick them off the team and say "Go home" lol. Do you realize the publicity that would get? Now for the umpteenth time what the coach does is have that same conversation with as many players AS POSSIBLE until one of them leaves. That is called processing, and it's normal. I think you'd like to think it's rainbows and sunshine and the coach is just looking out for the player. But what the coach is doing is freeing up a scholly for a better prospect. And those little "sitdowns" will go on until the coach gets that extra spot he needs. The part that is most amusing is that this is commonplace and 3 or 4 of you act like we're speaking French.

If you still have any further questions I'm sure I'll be swarming until about 10pm or so.
If that's what you define as processing, then, yes, everyone processes kids.

But that's your definition of processing. I would define processing as forcing the kid out by cutting his scholarship. As I said earlier in the thread, everyone needs to be working from with the same definition of terms.

Milwaukee

Banned
If that's what you define as processing, then, yes, everyone processes kids.

But that's your definition of processing. I would define processing as forcing the kid out by cutting his scholarship. As I said earlier in the thread, everyone needs to be working from with the same definition of terms.

It's almost as if I already said what I just said 20 pages back or something ;)

But the definition as you've stated it above simply doesn't exist. I don't know of any coach in the history of cfb that has publicly kicked a kid off the team because he wasn't as good as they'd hoped lol. I think a couple of you are confused; pulling a Commit's scholly before he even enters the program would be considered processing. But the definition as a couple of you have laid it out isn't processing, that would be throwing people off the team lmao.

We process players by "nudging them out", not by throwing a press conference and taking their scholly away.