Attendance

These traditions are holding us back!

The Wreck? Just an old car. We need a monster truck with flames shooting out the sides.

A Yellow Jacket? Please. We need to something out of Alien. A big mf’ing angry bug.

Uniforms? For sissies. We need badass. And dance songs to match.

I’m confident if we make these changes, we’ll fill the stadium!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Modern technology with inexpensive large TVs and “home theater” experiences has hurt attendance in every sport everywhere(and has also hurt theater attendance and Hollywood Box Office results). This is a very real thing nowadays. A lot of fans rather not deal with the traffic and hassle (and $) of going to a game.

We need to do better with attendance, but when Alabama is having attendance issues in today’s climate, I don’t think we’re going to be booming in attendance.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You addressed your post to me in replying to what I had previously posted. If I misunderstood your point in that post, then I apologize, but it definitely came across as a challenge to me. Regardless, you and others keep saying Tech is irrelevant today. In 2014, if we had not played like crap against Duke and UNC, it was conceivable, though probably not likely, that we would have been in the hunt for the playoffs when we faced FSU in the ACCCG. 2009, 2010, 2o16, though not of playoff caliber, were all very good years too. So are all you people saying that 3 years of mediocrity make us irrelevant? Sorry, I don't buy it, even with this year's terrible record. If we suffer through 10, maybe even 5, years of mediocrity, then I would probably agree, but we are not there yet. And since we are NOT IRRELEVANT yet, I do believe that we should emphasize and capitalize on our traditions. It is those traditions that defined who we were nationwide, and there's no reason at all to dump them now.
I apologize as well. I never meant to question your fandom. I respect your love of Georgia Tech, and it’s fans like you that have been around for decades that give hope to younger fans about there being better days ahead.

But the reality is, Georgia Tech isn’t relevant nationally. Yes, there have been some standout years. 2008, 2009, and 2014 specifically. You mentioned 2010, but Tech went 6-7 that year, but they did go 8-5 in 2011 so I assume that’s what you meant. The biggest reason GT stays irrelevant is because they play in the shadow of the mighty SEC, but they never actually play them. Winning 9 games is a solid year, but when those years are usually separated by ~5 years at a time, it doesn’t help your case. Going to Orange Bowls is great, but going twice in a decade doesn’t mean people will remember it. GT is sorta like a team like Mizzou. They have their own history and traditions, but they aren’t a powerhouse in their conference. While they have won their division and had some 10 win seasons recently, they aren’t recognized as being a great program nationally. You can pretty much chalk Iowa up to win 8-9 every year, but they almost always upset a highly ranked Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, etc. every year. Tech doesn’t win big games like that to get attention nationally. Winning that 2015 FSU game is more recognizable than winning 9 in 2016. If Tech could upset Clemson or Georgia pretty regularly, they would get more attention.

I love Tech’s traditions as much as anybody. The Reck, the fight song, the steam whistle, Budweiser, the band at the Campanile. They’re all great experiences. But there’s no reason for anybody outside of people who are already GT fans to care about them. If Tech was good on a national level and those traditions could get more exposure, more people would care about them. I mean, Auburn’s Toomers Corner, Bama’s Dixieland Delight, FSU’s chop, Ohio State’s dotting the “i”. People care about those traditions because those teams are in the national spotlight year-in year-our.

I apologize as well. I never meant to question your fandom. I respect your love of Georgia Tech, and it’s fans like you that have been around for decades that give hope to younger fans about there being better days ahead.

But the reality is, Georgia Tech isn’t relevant nationally. Yes, there have been some standout years. 2008, 2009, and 2014 specifically. You mentioned 2010, but Tech went 6-7 that year, but they did go 8-5 in 2011 so I assume that’s what you meant. The biggest reason GT stays irrelevant is because they play in the shadow of the mighty SEC, but they never actually play them. Winning 9 games is a solid year, but when those years are usually separated by ~5 years at a time, it doesn’t help your case. Going to Orange Bowls is great, but going twice in a decade doesn’t mean people will remember it. GT is sorta like a team like Mizzou. They have their own history and traditions, but they aren’t a powerhouse in their conference. While they have won their division and had some 10 win seasons recently, they aren’t recognized as being a great program nationally. You can pretty much chalk Iowa up to win 8-9 every year, but they almost always upset a highly ranked Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, etc. every year. Tech doesn’t win big games like that to get attention nationally. Winning that 2015 FSU game is more recognizable than winning 9 in 2016. If Tech could upset Clemson or Georgia pretty regularly, they would get more attention.

I love Tech’s traditions as much as anybody. The Reck, the fight song, the steam whistle, Budweiser, the band at the Campanile. They’re all great experiences. But there’s no reason for anybody outside of people who are already GT fans to care about them. If Tech was good on a national level and those traditions could get more exposure, more people would care about them. I mean, Auburn’s Toomers Corner, Bama’s Dixieland Delight, FSU’s chop, Ohio State’s dotting the “i”. People care about those traditions because those teams are in the national spotlight year-in year-our.
Yes, I meant 2011. And yes, I agree, that whatever perceived irrelevancy Tech has is due to the ACC and us being in the SEC "neighborhood" but seldom, if ever playing any of them. I'm not sure how nationwide Toomer's Corner is recognized, other than mention of it on telecasts, and I have no idea what Bama's Dixieland Delight is.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
If we want to be looked at as a big boy we need to be in a big conference.

If you need proof that The ACC isn’t what it likes to say it is look no further than the launch of its network. Some major providers are still holding out and it took the others months to commit.

We need to get out now. The SEC is the best option, short of that we fit better with the Big 12 (Texas, K St ......)

Why ? Because The ACC top to bottom is still a basketball conference, our Baseball and basketball teams would do better playing an SEC schedule and our recruiting would automatically get better in every sport.

If you need proof that The ACC isn’t what it likes to say it is look no further than the launch of its network. Some major providers are still holding out and it took the others months to commit.

We need to get out now. The SEC is the best option, short of that we fit better with the Big 12 (Texas, K St ......)

Why ? Because The ACC top to bottom is still a basketball conference, our Baseball and basketball teams would do better playing an SEC schedule and our recruiting would automatically get better in every sport.
The SEC is definitely the preferred option, but only from our point of view. They don't want us.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Watching this game right now. Looks like BDS during game play. Upstart team exceeding expectations. Take a look for yourself on ACCN.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

My personal opinion is that conferences are an outdated concept, especially in P5 football. Conferences were started by schools and programs who had similar talent and geographically close. Now there’s teams like Missouri playing in the SEC East, Pittsburgh and Miami play in the same division, BC and FSU are in the same division, and teams in the same conference go 6+ years without ever playing each other. The travel part of it isn’t a big deal when it comes to football, and teams are only making 6-8 trips a year, but it matters a whole lot in the other sports. Being forced to play conference games limits some would-be geographic rivalries, and limits some huge matchups between powerhouses.

Last edited:

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
My personal opinion is that conferences are an outdated concept, especially in P5 football. Conferences were started by schools and programs who had similar talent and geographically close. Now there’s teams like Missouri playing in the SEC East, Pittsburgh and Miami play in the same division, BC and FSU are in the same division, and teams in the same conference go 6+ years without ever playing each other. Conferences only exist now because the name brand that goes along with them bring big time money.

I almost suggested we move to be independent but even though you are correct, the conferences bring TV clout which is the money. They are misaligned

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
All these photos of empty seats can be tricky. We don’t know the weather (forecast or temp) and we don’t know the actual times.

I’d like to see a comparative of SEC stadiums to ACC at actual kickoff or start of the 2nd, just so we have real time comparisons

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Eh, not so sure they wouldn’t trade Vandy for us
Vandy has been the best baseball program in the country for the past decade, and similar history to Tech in basketball. They would probably trade Vandy for Tech in football but that’s about it.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
If we want to be relevant in this geography, we need to be in the SEC. But Tech offers nothing to the SEC. Georgia now provides the Atlanta media market.

Tech should own ACC basketball... but that’s another story.

I agree but that’s yet another factor. What does Tech really provide any established big conference ? Ga will own this market regardless where we go TV wise, now.

For Tech to offer something it has to draw crowds/TV revenue. They do that by recruiting which puts a better player on the field. Better players generates interest in all of our games. Playing BC, WF, Louisville etc draws nobody. Clemson and Georgia bring their crowds. So would Tennessee, SC, Florida etc. if they didn’t bring them there are certainly enough fans here for all of them to generate interest in Tech tickets , which increases our revenue at a minimum.

It may be painful for a few but once we have more interest, better players, bigger name regional teams coming in and SEC or Big 12 investment we will see more interest in TECH, which would turn into a pro Tech home crowd