Attendance

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
No...the problem is the piss poor coaching...this team has talent to be .500 and most fans know it.. And are pissed at the Over Hype Geoff Collins brought..

You can only blame so much on the former staff.... You can only hype crappy coaching for so long....

You want fans at the games....Coach em up...
There were 38k at UVA last year. Does that make Paul a bad coach? Im not asking you to like CGC, just be consistent with your reasoning.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
To me our record never effects the attendance, it’s more so the opponents record and the conference we play in. Tech could be 10-0 but I promise you we will never draw 56,000 to watch us play the Dukes, UNC, Pitts of the world. The upper north needs to come down period. To me it looks ugly, and is constantly empty or full with opposing fans. If you downsize BDS it’s makes Tech a hotter ticket with less tickets available, there were tickets in the upper north going for 6 dollars Thursday.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
To me our record never effects the attendance, it’s more so the opponents record and the conference we play in. Tech could be 10-0 but I promise you we will never draw 56,000 to watch us play the Dukes, UNC, Pitts of the world. The upper north needs to come down period. To me it looks ugly, and is constantly empty or full with opposing fans. If you downsize BDS it’s makes Tech a hotter ticket with less tickets available, there were tickets in the upper north going for 6 dollars Thursday.
I wish we would put a GT tarp over it and if we are playing somebody like Clemson or ugag, take the tarp off and make some extra money off those seats. BDS just needs to be a 45-50,000 seat stadium which would make tickets hotter, like you said.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
If Tech were 10-0 there would be many more butts in the seats. I would have folks asking for tickets instead of trying to give them away. Even for the ACC games. To get consistent sell outs would take time to develop a sidewalk fanbase in Atlanta, which I still think is possible.

Alumni would be much more likely to travel to watch a 10-0 team than a 3 win team.

I don't disagree with changes to the stadium to enhance the game day experience, including reducing number of seats.

The idea of giving away tickets to local groups needs to increase.

Can we give a number of tickets to every high school in the 404 area code and get future recruits in the stadium?

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I dont live in Georgia anymore, but anytime the Jackets are within 3 hours of Kentucky I go. I've been to Louisville 3 times for football, baseball and basketball and will be going to Rupp in a few weeks. Other than that my family have been season ticket holders for nearly 4 decades. I came to the Virgina game last year and it was heart breaking to see the attendance. Hope it picks up soon

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
If Tech were 10-0 there would be many more butts in the seats. I would have folks asking for tickets instead of trying to give them away. Even for the ACC games. To get consistent sell outs would take time to develop a sidewalk fanbase in Atlanta, which I still think is possible.

Alumni would be much more likely to travel to watch a 10-0 team than a 3 win team.

I don't disagree with changes to the stadium to enhance the game day experience, including reducing number of seats.

The idea of giving away tickets to local groups needs to increase.

Can we give a number of tickets to every high school in the 404 area code and get future recruits in the stadium?

All of this.

As far as sidewalk fans are considered(speaking) - we should look to whatever strategy Atlanta United used. Their following growth over the past three years is incredible. I know there were soccer fans already in Atlanta but I think they’ve gone above and beyond what was expected.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Long time lurker here but thought I'd weigh in. I was a freshman for the 09 season and remember a very vibrant student section in lower north, granted that was for a very good team. A few years later they made the north end zone for student groups only. If you weren't in a group that had a block you had to go south. That fragmented the students and neither section had the raucous atmosphere the north did my first few years in my opinion. I'm not sure how they do it now. I've been in Memphis for a few years and haven't had the chance to get back to a game since.
I go to Murray State and students are given free tickets to every sporting event. They show up really well. Is it the same for GT students?

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
..........The upper north needs to come down period. To me it looks ugly, and is constantly empty or full with opposing fans. If you downsize BDS it’s makes Tech a hotter ticket with less tickets available, there were tickets in the upper north going for 6 dollars Thursday.
I completely disagree, but then again that may be due to the fact that I sit in the upper north. I am sidewalk fan, so I sit up there to avoid paying additional money for my tickets (having to contribute to the Tech Fund). By the way, the cheap ticket prices weren’t just in the upper north. Some friends of mine who aren’t even Tech fans picked up a couple of fifth row tickets on the 35 yard line in the west stands for $6 plus StubHub fees.

Maybe if they do away with students seating in the south end zone, they could convert that area to ultra luxury suites and move some of the people from the east club stands that never attend or sit in their seat, and open that area to more ardent fans who will get loud right behind the visitors bench. (I know it will never happen but…). Thursday night, at the beginning of the game, those seats were only 25% full at best. Put some rowdy, true fans there.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

The subtle truth is that taking those stands down, or putting a tarp on them, will in reality have the opposite impact claimed in the post(s).

It would have such negative publicity that the sports public would actually shrug their shoulders.

If decreasing capacity would increase demand then our tickets sales should have gone thru the roof when we took down the South stands and it didn't.

Tulane went to a much smaller on campus stadium than where they played 7 years ago. They are playing better now as well and their ticket sales have not jumped up.

In sports you increase demand by winning, ot by degrading the product.

Last edited:

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
Berrating and/or guilt tripping people isn't a good strategy to get them to come to games.

We need to be welcoming of people who show up if/when they can. If the one game they show up for in a year is full of people getting mad at them for not showing up more, that'll drive them away

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Slight correction -

there were 38,000 at uvag game last year... for Homecoming.
The UVA game was Senior Night last year, not homecoming. But the 38k that were there actually made the atmosphere really fun. It was also a really good game. The Miami and UVA games were the only 2 that were fun to be at last season. I don’t know if any game this season can hold that title, Thursday’s was probably the closest.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
The subtle truth is that taking those stands down, or putting a tarp on them, will in reality have the opposite impact claimed in the post(s).

It would have such negative publicity that the sports public would actualky shrug their shoulders.

Agreed. Reduced supply won't increase demand. It'll cost money to reduce that seating and then tix will be more expensive, further driving attendence down.

Maybe I'm wrong and the exclusivity of it will sell more tickets, but I don't think we're a big enough brand yet for that to happen (maybe Collins will be able to change that)

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you about the alumni, but to say the student section has been "fairly full" is just plain BS. There have been virtually zero students in the south stands student section every game this year, and the frat section in the lower north is NEVER anywhere close to being full. As far as "bought-in", yes those who are there appear to be, but there are just too few of them.

There are about 27,000 students at Tech. If they all came to games, that would fill up half of BDS...

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

It would have such negative publicity that the sports public would actually shrug their shoulders.

If decreasing capacity would increase demand then our tickets sales should have gone thru the roof when we took down the South stands and it didn't.

Tulane went to a much smaller on campus stadium than where they played 7 years ago. They are playing better now as well and their ticket sales have not jumped up.

You could look at the Rays and A’s in the MLB also. Especially the Rays. They already played in one of the smallest stadiums in the league, and tarp off almost all of the upper deck, and still struggle to sell out games even when they are in the playoff hunt. The only thing tarping off seats would accomplish would be to get some advertising dollars on the tarps themselves.

People also need to realize that attendance is down across the board in all sports, including college football. Florida, Alabama, Auburn, FSU, Ohio State, USC, UCLA, Miami, Michigan State, Standford, TCU, and so many more are experiencing attendance issues of their own to varying degrees due to a variety of issues. A lot of people just don’t want to spend the money and spend their day on the road to watch a game anymore.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Very much agree with this post. If you live within a 4 hour drive if Atlanta and you don’t attend the home games then DO NOT COMPLAIN. Your absense very much affects the atmosphere and it translates to the play on the field. Pretty easy fix.

I live within 4 hours of Atlanta. I attend a few games a year like the one on Thursday. What I do with my money is my business not anyone else's.