Attendance

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The UVA game was Senior Night last year, not homecoming. But the 38k that were there actually made the atmosphere really fun. It was also a really good game. The Miami and UVA games were the only 2 that were fun to be at last season. I don’t know if any game this season can hold that title, Thursday’s was probably the closest.

I was there Thursday and thought it was a really fun game and our boys played very hard. Unfortunately, I was also at the Citadel game and it was sort of exciting but the atmosphere was not as good. Maybe night games generate more excitement?

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Attendance is down everywhere. There are empty seats at PSU-OSU today when they do the blimp shots.

People don't go to games because they have other things to do and the TV experience is good enough and much cheaper.

The question is how you stay above rock bottom (answer: win games) and make your revenue less dependent on attendance.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If we would go back to our white and gold heritage, instead of another uniform every game, I would go back to supporting every week. Only weak programs do what we are doing.
Yeah you’re right. Oregon, Utah, Florida, TCU are all weak programs. LSU has worn 2 different alternate unis this year, and one special edition uni last year. Clemson wears alternate purple every year. Ohio State wore all black this year, and has for a while. What a bunch of weak programs for wearing alternate uniforms huh? What a team wears on the field has literally ZERO significance on the state of their program. Nebraska has worn the same exact pair of uniforms for a century, and they aren’t exactly in a great state. Tennessee is bad, Texas and USC are average, UCLA is bad, Arkansas is bad. Uniforms do not define a program.

Attendance is down everywhere. There are empty seats at PSU-OSU today when they do the blimp shots.

People don't go to games because they have other things to do and the TV experience is good enough and much cheaper.

The question is how you stay above rock bottom (answer: win games) and make your revenue less dependent on attendance.
I would imagine one of the factors causing a (slightly) smaller crowd today at the OSU - PSU game is that it started at 11AM CST. I probably wouldn't make any 11AM games in Atlanta myself; hell, noon starts are hard enough for me to get to.

Yeah you’re right. Oregon, Utah, Florida, TCU are all weak programs. LSU has worn 2 different alternate unis this year, and one special edition uni last year. Clemson wears alternate purple every year. Ohio State wore all black this year, and has for a while. What a bunch of weak programs for wearing alternate uniforms huh? What a team wears on the field has literally ZERO significance on the state of their program. Nebraska has worn the same exact pair of uniforms for a century, and they aren’t exactly in a great state. Tennessee is bad, Texas and USC are average, UCLA is bad, Arkansas is bad. Uniforms do not define a program.
But NONE of those teams wears a different uniform every week of the season. One game a year is fine for an alternate, but all 12 of them? Hell, no !!!

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
If we would go back to our white and gold heritage, instead of another uniform every game, I would go back to supporting every week. Only weak programs do what we are doing.

Yawn. Weak reason for not supporting every week. What is it like when the uniforms come out every week two days before the game?

“Golly, I wish I could go to the game this week, but they just put out a tweet showing those damn blue jerseys again!”

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
But NONE of those teams wears a different uniform every week of the season. One game a year is fine for an alternate, but all 12 of them? Hell, no !!!
Oregon, Utah, and Florida wear a different combination almost every week. Oklahoma brings out its “rough rider” alternates twice a year most of the time. Nebraska wears the same combination every week. 2 of the first 4 are in CFP contention, and the other 2 had a chance to control their own destiny until a few weeks ago. Nebraska probably won’t make a bowl game again this year. Minnesota and all of their combinations beat classic Penn State a couple a weeks ago. Stanford wears the same uniforms all year, and probably won’t make a bowl game this year, and has had atrocious attendance all year.

If wearing different combinations of pants and helmets seriously affects your support of the program, and makes you question your decision to buy season tickets, then that’s just sad. If the overwhelming majority of uniform pieces used on field are white and gold, why does it even matter?

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Even though it appears we wore G/W/G twice (HOPEFULLY 3 times), that pretty much proves my point.

I’ll give you three weeks where we wore an “Alternate” jersey. I was speaking to that part of your statement. The other 8 weeks we have stuck with a normal combination. Wearing the same G/W/G 11 times are year is lame. Whatever the team you are rooting for is wearing, you should cheer them on because
It says “GT” on it. That’s all I’ll say about uniforms in this thread.

Oregon, Utah, and Florida wear a different combination almost every week. Oklahoma brings out its “rough rider” alternates twice a year most of the time. Nebraska wears the same combination every week. 2 of the first 4 are in CFP contention, and the other 2 had a chance to control their own destiny until a few weeks ago. Nebraska probably won’t make a bowl game again this year. Minnesota and all of their combinations beat classic Penn State a couple a weeks ago. Stanford wears the same uniforms all year, and probably won’t make a bowl game this year, and has had atrocious attendance all year.

If wearing different combinations of pants and helmets seriously affects your support of the program, and makes you question your decision to buy season tickets, then that’s just sad. If the overwhelming majority of uniform pieces used on field are white and gold, why does it even matter?
I have bought season tickets for 51 years, and, God willing, I will buy them again next wear as well. And in that time, I have not missed more than 5 home games. I have also contributed to the AA for all those years, without ever missing a year. I didn't like blue in the 80s and 90s, I don't like blue now, and I definitely don't like the "uniform of the week" crap, and I am not afraid to say it. In fact, in a sense, I think after all those years I have a right to complain. So, bud, don't question my support for the program, the team, or the coaches unless you know what the hell you are talking about.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I have bought season tickets for 51 years, and, God willing, I will buy them again next wear as well. And in that time, I have not missed more than 5 home games. I have also contributed to the AA for all those years, without ever missing a year. I didn't like blue in the 80s and 90s, I don't like blue now, and I definitely don't like the "uniform of the week" crap, and I am not afraid to say it. In fact, in a sense, I think after all those years I have a right to complain. So, bud, don't question my support for the program, the team, or the coaches unless you know what the hell you are talking about.
With all due respect - it isn’t about you. It’s about the young fans that this program desperately needs to convert and recruits.

With all due respect - it isn’t about you. It’s about the young fans that this program desperately needs to convert and recruits.
I never said it was about me. I just said that JacketOff obviously doesn't have a clue what he's talking about when he questions someone's support, unless that someone has specifically said he would not support the team based on certain conditions. I agree that such a person is no true fan. But at the same time, I question "young fans" who base their support on needless things like the uniform of the week. These young fans, and recruits too, need to be educated about the traditions of Tech, including the FACT that both our fight songs, and our alma mater as well, mention the White and Gold, and not the blue and anything. Other schools that actually have traditions emphasize those traditions; Tech seems not to care about them anymore.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I never said it was about me. I just said that JacketOff obviously doesn't have a clue what he's talking about when he questions someone's support, unless that someone has specifically said he would not support the team based on certain conditions. I agree that such a person is no true fan. But at the same time, I question "young fans" who base their support on needless things like the uniform of the week. These young fans, and recruits too, need to be educated about the traditions of Tech, including the FACT that both our fight songs, and our alma mater as well, mention the White and Gold, and not the blue and anything. Other schools that actually have traditions emphasize those traditions; Tech seems not to care about them anymore.
Pleeaaassseee tell me where I questioned anybody’s support. I only said that if your fandom could be affected by what uniform the team wears on a given week, then that’s sad. I think the same way about people who are fans of certain teams because of their uniforms. Nobody’s fandom of a team should be because they like/dislike what they wear. No young fan, or especially recruit, chooses a team based solely on the uniform. Tradition is cool and respectable, but when you’ve been irrelevant, emphasizing tradition really doesn’t get you anywhere. Like I’ve said, look at Nebraska. Look at Tennessee. Look at Texas. Look at USC. Embracing your traditions doesn’t mean you’ll automatically be good. Georgia went away from their traditions with black jerseys, helmets, and pants (at different times but still). They even wore silver helmets and red pants for that one game against Boise. The only reason their tradition is being embraced now is because they’re relevant again. To say Tech doesn’t care about tradition anymore is asinine. Hell, we embrace tradition so much, we probably have the least technologically advanced stadium in all of P5 football. How’s that for tradition?

Pleeaaassseee tell me where I questioned anybody’s support. I only said that if your fandom could be affected by what uniform the team wears on a given week, then that’s sad. I think the same way about people who are fans of certain teams because of their uniforms. Nobody’s fandom of a team should be because they like/dislike what they wear. No young fan, or especially recruit, chooses a team based solely on the uniform. Tradition is cool and respectable, but when you’ve been irrelevant, emphasizing tradition really doesn’t get you anywhere. Like I’ve said, look at Nebraska. Look at Tennessee. Look at Texas. Look at USC. Embracing your traditions doesn’t mean you’ll automatically be good. Georgia went away from their traditions with black jerseys, helmets, and pants (at different times but still). They even wore silver helmets and red pants for that one game against Boise. The only reason their tradition is being embraced now is because they’re relevant again. To say Tech doesn’t care about tradition anymore is asinine. Hell, we embrace tradition so much, we probably have the least technologically advanced stadium in all of P5 football. How’s that for tradition?
You addressed your post to me in replying to what I had previously posted. If I misunderstood your point in that post, then I apologize, but it definitely came across as a challenge to me. Regardless, you and others keep saying Tech is irrelevant today. In 2014, if we had not played like crap against Duke and UNC, it was conceivable, though probably not likely, that we would have been in the hunt for the playoffs when we faced FSU in the ACCCG. 2009, 2010, 2o16, though not of playoff caliber, were all very good years too. So are all you people saying that 3 years of mediocrity make us irrelevant? Sorry, I don't buy it, even with this year's terrible record. If we suffer through 10, maybe even 5, years of mediocrity, then I would probably agree, but we are not there yet. And since we are NOT IRRELEVANT yet, I do believe that we should emphasize and capitalize on our traditions. It is those traditions that defined who we were nationwide, and there's no reason at all to dump them now.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
These traditions are holding us back!

The Wreck? Just an old car. We need a monster truck with flames shooting out the sides.

A Yellow Jacket? Please. We need to something out of Alien. A big mf’ing angry bug.

Uniforms? For sissies. We need badass. And dance songs to match.

I’m confident if we make these changes, we’ll fill the stadium!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I was there Thursday and thought it was a really fun game and our boys played very hard. Unfortunately, I was also at the Citadel game and it was sort of exciting but the atmosphere was not as good. Maybe night games generate more excitement?

It also helps when it's not 85-95F with the sun hammering down.