Attendance

Pictures are forever and can help confirm/refute some of the hypotheses. My conclusion, having been to the games and based on visual evidence, is that yesterday was not much different than recent years, imo. Gold has been declining and red has been rising.

10051562-e1536952564421.jpeg

UGAA_1511639875720_11805149_ver1.0.png

10051503.jpeg

9048872.jpeg

9048957.jpeg

9048958.jpeg

9049183.jpeg
Another really sad thing is that even in the sections that are obviously, or even probably, Tech, there is very little gold, because Tech fans refuse to wear the school's primary color to the games.

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
All that red is disgusting in Tech’s stadium. That was another home game for them. There’s no way it’s ever been worse than that.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
To me we are reaping what we allowed GT to become as a school. We are no longer a school looked upon with warmth and love in this state. GT turns away qualified Georgia high school students to create room for out of state and foreign students. The vast majority who have zero allegiance to GT or the state of Georgia. Meanwhile, generational GT families are turning red due to this. I know multiple families who grew up wearing white and gold, but now disdain GT because of lack of acceptance when their only issue is being a statistic. The fan problem is only going to get worse as those of us who care about football die away and there are very few GT fans to replace us. We can continue to be a first world Institute by keeping Georgia kids in the family.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
To me we are reaping what we allowed GT to become as a school. We are no longer a school looked upon with warmth and love in this state. GT turns away qualified Georgia high school students to create room for out of state and foreign students. The vast majority who have zero allegiance to GT or the state of Georgia. Meanwhile, generational GT families are turning red due to this. I know multiple families who grew up wearing white and gold, but now disdain GT because of lack of acceptance when their only issue is being a statistic. The fan problem is only going to get worse as those of us who care about football die away and there are very few GT fans to replace us. We can continue to be a first world Institute by keeping Georgia kids in the family.
Which players do we have that are foreign ? As for out of state players do you really think you going to get 85 players from the state of Georgia ?

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
I wish I knew how to solve the problem of too much red in the stands. I think that a cycle has developed over the last decade or so that has made it get worse every time. As more of them are in the Tech sections, it becomes less fun to attend and then more and more people sell, which causes it to become even more insufferable. And so on, and so on, until we get what we saw yesterday.

We had dwags to our left and in front of us in lower west. And it sucked to have them there. The left seats were either empty or different people every time. So we knew there would be dwags there. But the seats in front of us were Tech season tickets. Same people every week until this one. Those people sold their seats to dwags and didn’t care about all the other Tech fans’ experience being worse because of it.

All I can control is my own behavior. There will NEVER be any dwags in our seats, ever. I’d rather burn those tickets than sell to dwags.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Which players do we have that are foreign ? As for out of state players do you really think you going to get 85 players from the state of Georgia ?
He is talking about the Institute and it’s student population, not the team. He is asserting why he believes our fan base is what it is.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

I know this is unpopular & many fans (& to some degree alums) don’t want to hear it, but I must communicate the truth about the Institute of which I love.

GT is a STEM school with much more in common with US military academies, Cal Tech, Colorado School of Mines, MIT, etc.

We have very, very little in common with VPISU, Clemson, Bammer, UGAG, Florida, Ohio St., Michigan, etc. Those are all liberal arts colleges that have HUGE fanbases including tons & tons of non-alums.

My 40 years of experience tells me we have to recruit & coach & do different things to compete in big boy football, & this has become even more pronounced in the last 10 years.

We are who we are with a dwindling fanbase. I think trying to out-factory the factories will never work, but I hope I am wrong. I love that GT, a limited major, rigorous STEM school tries to compete in big boy football, but we are not going to change who we are, & I would not want it any other way.