Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
“I feel fine,” Freeman said prior to Sunday’s regular season finale. “Obviously it’s not what I want it to be, but it’s not affecting anything. I feel fine. I’m in there today. I have no reservations going forward. I told you guys if I felt good I’d play all three games and I feel good.”

David Ross stated that he has no interest in replacing Maddon as Mgr. of Cubs.

Braves will select 25th in 2020 June Amateur Baseball Draft.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Home Run Production:
C - 23 (McCann/Flowers)
1B - 38 (Freeman)
2B - 24 (Albies)
3B - 37 (Donaldson)
SS - 21 (Swanson/Hechevarria)
LF - 28 (Riley/Duvall)
CF - 46 (Acuna/Inciarte)
RF - 16 (Markakis/Joyce)

St. Louis Starters,
Sept ERA:
Flaherty - 0.97 ERA
Hudson - 2.33 ERA
Mikolas - 3.34 ERA
Wainwright - 2.97 ERA
Wacha - 2.70 ERA

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Yesterday's game is not exactly the way you want to head into the post season ...
From Fred's post last week about Cardinal pitching and what I read this morning, I may have preferred the wrong team ... at least we don't get Flaherty in Game 1.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Cards in 4. Good pitching ALWAYS beats good hitting, and the Braves starters have all been wobbly lately.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Angels fire Brad Ausmus. ‘Tis the Season!

Thursday, Oct. 3
• St. Louis at Atlanta (TBS)

Friday, Oct. 4
• St. Louis at Atlanta (TBS)

Sunday, Oct. 6
• Atlanta at St. Louis (TBS)

Monday, Oct. 7
x-Atlanta at St. Louis (TBS)

Wednesday, Oct. 9
x-St. Louis at Atlanta (TBS)

x - If necessary

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Brews vs. Fred J. and his ace National’s pitcher with the Nats. hot offense, Tuesday @8:08 p.m. on TBS.
Nationals saying Strasburg, Corbin, & Sanchez all available out of pen. While the thought of using all starters is interesting & they are great options as far as "stuff" goes. Anytime you do something you haven't done all year... I get nervous.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
All kinds of talk on DC sports radio today in anticipation of tonight's game.... how should Davey manage the Nationals bullpen in an elimination game? The bottom line... Davey will not get credit if Nationals win (no matter how it goes down). He will get 2nd guessed no matter how he does it... should the Brewers win.

Let's say the game is close and Brewers work Scherzer into a high pitch count through 6 innings. Davey can go with the "regular" bullpen guys for innings 6-9 OR bring in Corbin or Strasburg. IF the Brewers...who are professional hitters and good ones... score in those innings, Davey will be the goat for 1) leaving the best pitchers in the pen (Stras and Corbin); or 2) forcing Stras and Corbin into a situation they have not been through all year.

I have high hopes for tonight. I have a lot of confidence that Scherzer will have a good game. He may give up a couple solo HRs (seems to do that some). So.. will be up to Nationals offense to (hopefully) get 5+ runs in the 1st two-thirds of the game, establish a lead to work with. If that does not happen... hang on for dear life as those late innings come around...the bullpen is so inconsistent. This Nationals offense is legit and can put up crooked numbers... they are not ever out of a game.

I am really glad Suzuki is healthy enough (he's not 100%) to be Scherzer's battery mate. He seems to make Scherzer better... Scherzer often gives him credit after a solid outing. If/when Brewers get baserunners, they may be running on Kurt. He's vulnerable there. Gomes will probably get in the game later for defensive purposes. Nationals are carrying 3 catchers tonight... tells you something.

One big concern.. Nationals "team" does a great job communicating offensively batter to batter. Quite often, this manifests itself into a big leap in offensive production 3rd time through order on a starter who seemed to be cruising through 4-5 innings. The Brewers will not afford the Nats this chance. Nationals batters will not see any pitcher more than 1 or 2 times each based on how you can expect Counsell to manage the game. So... the Nationals need to find those opportunities against that 1 pitcher (or 2) who is NOT there with his best stuff tonight.

Nats win 6-4.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Might be the best insight we’ve ever had on this Forum, for one single game! Thanks to you, Fred Jacket!!
It’s monumental to both teams, so I’m not discounting the Wild Card game. I would like at least a five game series, after 162. If they cut the season to 155, the other 6 MLB teams could all rest for a week instead of taking their players out during the regular season(which is not being competitive). The 4 WC teams play in what is now the last week of the RS.
Good to know Max has Zuki for tonight. Like to see him go 7 or 8. Corbin 1 or 2, if extras we need Strasberg and Doo(only 1 frame for Sean, at the most). Sanchez would be the 12th inning and beyond. Hope we wrap it up in 8 1/2.
I pick Washington washing them Suds down the drain, 6-0.