Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I copied some items that are key in this upcoming series vs. St. Louis, that I’m in agreement with:

All of the Cardinals starters are righties, so you can expect Matt Joyce to start in right field. And this also means that Billy Hamilton could play a huge role in the postseason. Expect him to enter the game in the seventh or eighth innings if the Braves have a lead.

Mike Soroka has also struggled with the home run ball in September giving up six in the month after giving up just eight in the first five months of the seaon.
He also had his highest ERA for any month in September at 4.00.

Folty has been the Atlanta Braves best starting pitcher since he came back from Triple-A. He posted a 1.50 ERA in five September starts. His start in game two becomes even bigger now because he’ll likely be opposed by Jack Flaherty.

Freeman hit .264 in September, which is his lowest monthly total of the year. But even more concerning is the fact that by the time game one rolls around it will have been over a month since Freddie hit a home run. Bone spurs might be more painful than he is letting on(this last sentence is my own take).

Also, Swanson has 8 hits in his last 4 games.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Big Congrats to Fred !!, it wasn't pretty for much of the game, but OOOOH what an ending ... we've never met and I wouldn't know you if I passed you on the street, but I was pulling for you, us GT guys have got to stick together !!
Thanks @GTJake ! It is fun "hanging" with you guys. And YES.... we GT folks gotta stick together.

I'm all in with Braves for this NLDS round. I don't care & won't bother to analyze who matches up best with Nationals. You guys have somehow managed to make me kinda dig the "team" in Atlanta..... even that creepy looking 3rd baseman. [wish I could put my finger on it.... creepy :)]

After going through last night's drama, though... stark reminder the post season ain't nothing like the regular season. Your young starting pitchers better bring their stones... because everyone is watching & somebody is going to (or failing to) "win" each AB or even each pitch... in some cases.

Best of luck. BRAVES! Get it done.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I copied some items that are key in this upcoming series vs. St. Louis, that I’m in agreement with:

All of the Cardinals starters are righties, so you can expect Matt Joyce to start in right field. And this also means that Billy Hamilton could play a huge role in the postseason. Expect him to enter the game in the seventh or eighth innings if the Braves have a lead.

Mike Soroka has also struggled with the home run ball in September giving up six in the month after giving up just eight in the first five months of the seaon.
He also had his highest ERA for any month in September at 4.00.

Folty has been the Atlanta Braves best starting pitcher since he came back from Triple-A. He posted a 1.50 ERA in five September starts. His start in game two becomes even bigger now because he’ll likely be opposed by Jack Flaherty.

Freeman hit .264 in September, which is his lowest monthly total of the year. But even more concerning is the fact that by the time game one rolls around it will have been over a month since Freddie hit a home run. Bone spurs might be more painful than he is letting on(this last sentence is my own take).

Also, Swanson has 8 hits in his last 4 games.

These are all interesting especially with regards to Foltin ... Foltenev ... Folty and Dansberry. Dude has been pitching at a high level since coming back up.

And, truth be told, I checked out of watching Braves games since they clinched. But if Dansberry gets back to normal, that's yuuge. Bigly, even.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Hey Fred;
I’m afraid we are a few “stones” short of a rock garden with our starters lately. Soroka looks a little worn down, and Fried is welcoming more innings because he’s a little Pat Jarvis(not a Bulldawg, but a Bulldog)and I’m referring to the baseball field instead of the jail. Not sure how many fries are left in the Fried fryer? Even Keuchel has been on a three game hiatus. Julio? Has been getting schooled at the old yard. No wonder Folty is game 2 vs. their ace.

Glad you got a little Brave good buddy! Have fun as usual enjoying these games, knowing you are one of the 8 left in MLB after tonight. My point is 3/4 of the teams have gone home.

We need this now, as looking forward at GT Football, GT Probation Hoops and GT Baseball being more unknown with a dependence on youth-are not of national recognition.

Again, Go Nats. and if Atlanta can’t go all the way, may you shank the Yanks or Whomever?

Signed by your Buddy, Buzz Baseball

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey Fred;
I’m afraid we are a few “stones” short of a rock garden with our starters lately. Soroka looks a little worn down, and Fried is welcoming more innings because he’s a little Pat Jarvis(not a Bulldawg, but a Bulldog)and I’m referring to the baseball field instead of the jail. Not sure how many fries are left in the Fried fryer? Even Keuchel has been on a three game hiatus. Julio? Has been getting schooled at the old yard. No wonder Folty is game 2 vs. their ace.

Glad you got a little Brave good buddy! Have fun as usual enjoying these games, knowing you are one of the 8 left in MLB after tonight. My point is 3/4 of the teams have gone home.

We need this now, as looking forward at GT Football, GT Probation Hoops and GT Baseball being more unknown with a dependence on youth-are not of national recognition.

Again, Go Nats. and if Atlanta can’t go all the way, may you shank the Yanks or Whomever?

Signed by your Buddy, Buzz Baseball

Huh? Oh ...

lmsac.gif

Yeah. Go Nots!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Been meaning to ask you baseball fans... would you change anything regarding playoffs... # of teams, wildcard one & done game? How would you "fix it" ...assuming you aren't all in with current format?

Washington finished regular season 4 games better than Milwaukee. I'd be pretty bitter if AFTER a loss by Nats last night, they are still 3 games better thru 163 games... YET, Milwaukee gets to play an actual MLB "series" in playoffs.

I have not thought about it too much, but what if you just abandoned divisions... top 6 teams in each league make playoffs. #1 & #2 earn 1st round byes. The other 4 play series (best of 5?). Obviously, the downside is #1 & #2 have to sit for 8 days or so before playing again.

The upside 1 more team per league makes playoffs & all of them get an actual series in post-season...this is huge IMO.

I could go on... but I'll wait.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Inciarte out for all of playoffs:
Braves outfielder Ender Inciarte seemed close to a return at the tail end of the regular season, but was ruled out of action for the NLDS after reporting continued discomfort when he tried to ramp things up. He had continued working toward a potential return in the event that the club advances, but that effort now seems all but over.

Roster for NLDS:
Right-handed pitchers
Left-handed pitchers
Catchers
Infielders
Outfielders

No Julio, Riley. Looks like Camargo is done from what I heard today. No Culberson or Inciarte for the remainder of all playoffs.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Braves outfielder Ender Inciarte seemed close to a return at the tail end of the regular season, but was ruled out of action for the NLDS after reporting continued discomfort when he tried to ramp things up. He had continued working toward a potential return in the event that the club advances, but that effort now seems all but over.

Roster for NLDS:
Right-handed pitchers
Left-handed pitchers
Catchers
Infielders
Outfielders

No Julio, Riley. Looks like Camargo is done from what I heard today. No Culberson or Inciarte for the remainder of all playoffs.
Buy your tickets for Game 5 NOW & hope it never comes to that... Flaherty in Game5. OUCH! Good luck, Braves.
GM1 Braves
GM2 Cards
GM3 Cards
GM4 Braves
GM5 ??

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Buy your tickets for Game 5 NOW & hope it never comes to that... Flaherty in Game5. OUCH! Good luck, Braves.
GM1 Braves
GM2 Cards
GM3 Cards
GM4 Braves
GM5 ??

Hmmmm, Fred, are your MLB prognosticating abilities better than your college baseball ones?

I would think the statistics with more games and more consistent player performance make it more likley to pick the MLB winner. But baseball is harder to pick than football or basketball for a single game .........

Last night all the announcers picked a close game with the A's winning late or extra innings. Yup. Loved the ESPN2 stats broadcast. A bit repetitive but interesting.

I hope Nats or Braves win the World Series too. In college one summer I worked for a few weeks* selling magazines like Baseball Digest to people who let their subscriptions lapse. Braves fans were the easiest to get excited even though they were lousy. Really lousy. So I think ATL fans deserve some glory. Not as suffering as Mets fans but still suffering.

*One of those part time jobs which really makes you appreciate your later jobs.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmm, Fred, are your MLB prognosticating abilities better than your college baseball ones?

I would think the statistics with more games and more consistent player performance make it more likley to pick the MLB winner. But baseball is harder to pick than football or basketball for a single game .........

Last night all the announcers picked a close game with the A's winning late or extra innings. Yup. Loved the ESPN2 stats broadcast. A bit repetitive but interesting.

I hope Nats or Braves win the World Series too. In college one summer I worked for a few weeks* selling magazines like Baseball Digest to people who let their subscriptions lapse. Braves fans were the easiest to get excited even though they were lousy. Really lousy. So I think ATL fans deserve some glory. Not as suffering as Mets fans but still suffering.

I'll be listening to the Braves broadcast while watching the game on tv;)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

I claim no "abilities" in general... & definitely no prognostication abilities. :)

And you're correct, accurately predicting outcome of a single baseball game is too difficult.

Best & most likely path for Braves to advance seems to be 1) score more than the average for postseason play; and/or 2) Avoid that game 5 v Flaherty by getting elite quality starts from Keuchel in Gm1&4 and Soroka in Gm3.

For Nationals... catch LA on a slow restart after coasting the last month of season. Need Corbin to be lights out in Gm1... then hope to get back to DC with a split... minimum. Then it is a 2 out of 3 scenario.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I claim no "abilities" in general... & definitely no prognostication abilities. :)

And you're correct, accurately predicting outcome of a single baseball game is too difficult.

Best & most likely path for Braves to advance seems to be 1) score more than the average for postseason play; and/or 2) Avoid that game 5 v Flaherty by getting elite quality starts from Keuchel in Gm1&4 and Soroka in Gm3.

For Nationals... catch LA on a slow restart after coasting the last month of season. Need Corbin to be lights out in Gm1... then hope to get back to DC with a split... minimum. Then it is a 2 out of 3 scenario.
Right now i think the Braves win a too close for comfort NLDS against the Cardinals 3-2.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I was really surprised about Julio and Riley not making the roster, but think it's the right move !
It's kind of crazy to call Game 1 a must win, but with Flaherty going in Game 2, if we head to St. Louis 0-2 we are in trouble.
Hoping both Freeman and Acuna are at 100% like they have stated and not just telling us what we want to hear.
This has been an odd year for me, we've had a great season, but I can't shake the feeling that we are fragile ...

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Roster for NLDS:
Right-handed pitchers
Left-handed pitchers
Catchers
Infielders
Outfielders

I'm surprised they left Riley off in favor of another outfielder. Seems really thin at corner infield, especially with Freddie ailing. Assuming Dansby or Hech could shift to 3B if needed, but who is the back up 1B? I guess McCann/Cervelli or maybe Duvall? Seems like the only ones with experience that I'm aware of.