Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Yeah Buzz, I was sure Donaldson was at least going to get Acuna in last night ... and wow, we do strike-out a lot.
And it also seems like a lot of called 3rd strikes, what ever happened to protecting the plate when you get two strikes and are behind in the count ??
I only played HS ball, but that was always one of the rules of thumb that we were taught back in the day ...
It also applies in College. I always choked up/moved up on the bat with two strikes, tried to drive it over the infielders. If a fly ball results instead of a hit, my HC was satisfied for a sacrifice fly taking place. Even in the middle of a game.

I mentioned this same conversation about Riley, to a friend that worked in the Braves clubhouse before practicing law. He has current contacts. Told me they were already working with Austin on shortening that wide gate swing when the opposition gets ahead in the count. It’s a pet peeve of mine, when you just can’t swing for the fences with the game on the line. Same with bunting to move someone in scoring position.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It also applies in College. I always choked/moved up on the bat with two strikes, tried to drive it over the infielders. If a fly ball results instead of a hit, my HC was satisfied for a sacrifice fly taking place. Even in the middle of a game.

I mentioned this same conversation about Riley, to a friend that worked in the Braves clubhouse before practicing law. He has current contacts. Told me they were already working with Austin on shortening that wide gate swing when the opposition gets ahead in the count. It’s a pet peeve of mine, when you just can’t swing for the fences with the game on the line. Same with bunting to move someone in scoring position.

Heh. When I first read that, I though you said "I always choked with two strikes."

I was like dang stop being so hard on yourself. I'm sure you came through a time or two.

Anyway, I had an actual question for you. Totally unrelated.

I heard one of the Braves broadcasters say the thing on Rendon was that people say he doesn't love baseball or stte. I never get that impression when watching him play. Where does that supposed rumor stem from?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Heh. When I first read that, I though you said "I always choked with two strikes."

I was like dang stop being so hard on yourself. I'm sure you came through a time or two.

I heard one of the Braves broadcasters say the thing on Rendon was that people say he doesn't love baseball or stte. I never get that impression when watching him play. Where does that supposed rumor stem from?
I defer to Fred J., if any of what I think and write here is untrue-since I’ve never met him and have limited third hand info. He’s a family man, an American loving the game, grew up in Houston playing on the block. Works with the 165 kids at the Nationals Academy, donating time & his money. Speaking of such, Boras is his agent. Just like Harper, Strasberg. Can’t blame him for being a good business man. Where I believe he’s misunderstood is that he doesn’t care much for interviews or reporters all over the clubhouse. Or kids in the clubhouse, that are young and all over the place. He realizes that it’s part of the game, but not what he prefers. Personally, I have mixed feelings on what has bothered him. The Press needs to make a living, a kid like me who had a Grandfather that played AAA before WWII(when he got back home 29 was too old for MLB, by not having been established prior to leaving). So, if he had Ron Luciano take me into a Yankee clubhouse, I went in with huge eyeballs. It was an opportunity I’ll always take with me to the grave. Wearing Freddie Patek’s windbreaker until it was stolen out of my locker, was my favorite coat. I loved being on the field of old Yankee Stadium. Therefore, I’m mixed on what bothers Rendon. He thinks other occupations don’t face these inconveniences with their occupations. When I do poetry readings and sell books to raise money for the Community Center I’m donating my time at, ladies ask for pictures/autographs afterwards. To me, it’s part of the public domain. I understand his feelings though. I’ve been in the showers when strange people were coming through our locker rooms. I appreciate large beach towels too! :oops::rolleyes:(y):sneaky:

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

It probably comes from this story from 2014.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/anthony-rendon-thinks-baseball-is-boring/

I find it funny.. and I think he was trolling a little. He is not a big media guy...not a great interview. Does not bother me at all. Many fans want their teams' players to be professional athletes competing at the highest level AND be just like regular fans too. I never understood that. It is fine with me if Rendon thinks watching baseball on TV is boring. The good news for him.. is he doesn't have to ever do that nor does he get paid to do that. He gets paid to BE ON THE FIELD. I agree with you.. he seems to really like the game & not take it too seriously (in a good way). He's also damn good at it which (for me) is an endearing combination.

As for the All-Star game aspect of this article... LOL! I don't blame him one bit to not want to participate if the alternative is to relax and do whatever he wants. I am in the minority as a fan... I'd be perfectly fine if every single pro sports All Star "exhibitions" disappeared forever. If the respective leagues want to have them that is fine too.. but I could not care less about those things.

I do not think I contradicted anything in the post by @Buzzbomb ... I endorse (connecting dots...no deep knowledge) all he said too.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@Buzzbomb and @FredJacket , thanks for your responses. I wouldn't blame him for how he feels, however, I do think he should recognize it comes with the territory.

Kevin Durant has made similar comments. Saying things like he wished he could just play basketball and such. Well, you could "just play basketball" just give back the money and retire.

No? Oh, ok, then do these interviews, sign these autographs, put up with these dumb arse reporters' questions, etc. It stinks but, in reality, it just is what it is. Very, very small price to pay to play a kids game.

I empathize but I do not sympathize.