Athletic Director's Update

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The “real” plan is for the football program to recruit better, coach better, scheme better and play better. I have to rely upon someone like TStan to figure out how to do all of that and, if he does, I think the fans, monetary support and happiness on this board will follow.

Here's the concern I have. Every Tech fan I know follows other P5 teams. I'm from Alabama so I follow Alabama. Others follow ND, Michigan, etc. We seem to be at the point of shifting alliances for all the reasons mentioned previously about LSU ... we no longer appear capable of competing against Top 25 teams.

I think if Peterson understood what a HUGE marketing advantage this would be for the school ... being Top 25 and a Top 50 global STEM school would be enormous. But, as others have pointed out, Tech is drowning in high quality applicants and research money.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me though that TStan is a huge proponent in CPJ and getting CPJ the resources he needs (more funding, more support coaches, more recruiting staff, locker room etc). It seems that those resources will be key in TStans mind in getting the ship back on track. I guess the real question now is, is it a coach and option thing or is a GT thing or a mix that's the problem now ?

The other problem is that, the fan base is eroding, people are losing faith in CPJ and GT athletics right now and even if CPJ can right the ship will we regain fans that already hate CPJ?

I want to continue to support these kids , but I also don't want to see the program continue to sputter.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Here's the concern I have. Every Tech fan I know follows other P5 teams. I'm from Alabama so I follow Alabama. Others follow ND, Michigan, etc. We seem to be at the point of shifting alliances for all the reasons mentioned previously about LSU ... we no longer appear capable of competing against Top 25 teams.

I think if Peterson understood what a HUGE marketing advantage this would be for the school ... being Top 25 and a Top 50 global STEM school would be enormous. But, as others have pointed out, Tech is drowning in high quality applicants and research money.

I don’t have an alternate college team and I stopped watching the NFL about 10 years ago. When Tech struggles, it is a sad football season for this guy. [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The other problem is that, the fan base is eroding, people are losing faith in CPJ and GT athletics right now and even if CPJ can right the ship will we regain fans that already hate CPJ?

If you look at several of our losses, especially Duke ... were 3 fumbles the fault of lack of $$$? Better coaches? Blue pants? Or just kids making errors?

It feels like a lot of our issues are simple execution errors compounded by the lack of an effective passing game. Kirwin noted in his book that in the old days, the run sets up the pass. Today's pro game is that the pass sets up the run. Does CPJ want to throw it? Who knows. But without a dual threat ... we're toast.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
And that's a major question, cpj said in his post game presser that they focus on ball security in practice, but clearly he's not coaching it well. This is all fundamental stuff. So why is it all of the sudden that fundamental stuff is an issue in coaching ?
If you look at several of our losses, especially Duke ... were 3 fumbles the fault of lack of $$$? Better coaches? Blue pants? Or just kids making errors?

It feels like a lot of our issues are simple execution errors compounded by the lack of an effective passing game. Kirwin noted in his book that in the old days, the run sets up the pass. Today's pro game is that the pass sets up the run. Does CPJ want to throw it? Who knows. But without a dual threat ... we're toast.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
And that's a major question, cpj said in his post game presser that they focus on ball security in practice, but clearly he's not coaching it well. This is all fundamental stuff. So why is it all of the sudden that fundamental stuff is an issue in coaching ?

Isn’t ball security something they should know before they start playing D1 football?

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

Totally agree with this ...
1) IMO, this is obvious, watching other games makes me want to cry, what I wouldn't give for a TE (sic).
2) CPJ said it himself, we have a very small margin for error in this offense, I raised two daughters, teenagers and young adults are far from perfect.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I spent the bulk of my career in sales and also, espousing the benefits of continuous improvement. Improving even 1% a year in each department over a ten year period yields dramatic results for most organizations.

Yet, we seem to be stuck in a perpetual cycle of no progress. Gene Stallings, leading Bama to the 1992 title, had a chart of 20 or so metrics that the team must meet for them to win. Stallings noted that "If we deliver on those metrics, we'll win it all." They did. Dabo was coached by Stallings.

I'm curious if CPJ has any system to run the program other than the X's and O's one in his head.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I spent the bulk of my career in sales and also, espousing the benefits of continuous improvement. Improving even 1% a year in each department over a ten year period yields dramatic results for most organizations.

Yet, we seem to be stuck in a perpetual cycle of no progress. Gene Stallings, leading Bama to the 1992 title, had a chart of 20 or so metrics that the team must meet for them to win. Stallings noted that "If we deliver on those metrics, we'll win it all." They did. Dabo was coached by Stallings.

I'm curious if CPJ has any system to run the program other than the X's and O's one in his head.

I feel pretty certain that LEAN and Six Sigma could be applied to college football. Why not recruit help from the industrial engineering department?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I feel pretty certain that LEAN and Six Sigma could be applied to college football. Why not recruit help from the industrial engineering department?

Tom Landry was trained as an industrial engineer. He brought that methodology to coaching. Stallings described members of Landy's tree as all using the same basic approach ... set a standard, coach to the standard. Plan-Do-Check-Act.

slugboy

Staff member
Isn’t ball security something they should know before they start playing D1 football?
High school coaches expect ball security, tackling, and other fundamentals to be taught before high school, so they don't spend much time on it--maybe in spring practice. Some players only show up their junior year, or maybe their freshman year never having played Pop Warner, and have to pick up everything on their own. College coaches expect it before college. NFL coaches are having to teach players fundamentals because they have players who've either never learned them or have learned them incorrectly.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

100% this. I love Tech first and foremost but I grew up a Notre Dame fan. I have always followed them as my 2nd team in adulthood. I gotta be honest, the displays like the USF, Pitt, and Duke games make it real easy to just skip the Tech game and watch the Irish and not get so pissed. I HATE THIS THOUGH. I don't want to have to find solace in my other team but we are so limited.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
100% this. I love Tech first and foremost but I grew up a Notre Dame fan. I have always followed them as my 2nd team in adulthood. I gotta be honest, the displays like the USF, Pitt, and Duke games make it real easy to just skip the Tech game and watch the Irish and not get so pissed. I HATE THIS THOUGH. I don't want to have to find solace in my other team but we are so limited.

Just start following Atlanta United. They're good, and Arthur Blank is willing to spend big time money. They play an attractive style of soccer.

Plus, hot dogs are like $2, and drinks are like $1. Atmosphere is awesome. Double plus, you only have to drive a couple miles down the road to see them.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Glad tstan has started to add better facilities- at first I was ticked he did not add recruiting and quality staff first. The stuff will work for the current coach or the new coach.

The recruiting staff hired by this coach would not work for the new coach.

I hope tstan has some additional support from Bud when THEY MAKE THE CHANGE. Kind of an all hands on deck thing. Coach son does a" Row the boat " thing for his team, parents, teachers, community leaders.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Just start following Atlanta United. They're good, and Arthur Blank is willing to spend big time money. They play an attractive style of soccer.

Plus, hot dogs are like $2, and drinks are like $1. Atmosphere is awesome. Double plus, you only have to drive a couple miles down the road to see them.
I love going to United games. They have a good product and atmosphere. Now if only red wasn't the dominant color.....

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach got mad after the Pitt game when one of the reporters asked about the flubs on kick returns. CPJ: "Do you think that's how we're coaching them to do it?"

I thought; 'well after seeing them do it the same way three times... Yeah, Coach, it kinda does seem like that's how they're being taught to do it.'

When we keep making the same errors over and over again. At some point you have to think it's a flaw in the system.

When it comes to passing. TaQuon can throw a catchable ball. But half the time the WRs are running a different play than TQM. First play at L'Ville, he threw a nice ball to an empty field.

I believe our ability level is good enough to have won every game this year, except probably Clemson. We outplayed Pitt in the second half. We almost had USF beat, despite the two kick runbacks. We played neck and neck with Duke except for 5 minutes in the 3rd quarter. Same deal in most of our close losses last year. But we're making bad decisions and throwing games away. That's on coaching, scheme and game planning.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure if this goes here (probably not), but while we're talking about TStan, is it possible that MBob was even worse than we thought? And that there's even more to repair than we were aware of?

Bobinski hasn't been great at Purdue either. When Bobby Petrino leaves Louisville,possibly being fired in December,Purdue head football coach Jeff Brohm will leave for Louisville in a New York minute. Jeff Brohm was a Louisville QB 1990-1993.