Assistant Coaching changes in the off season ?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think you have extremely underestimated how complex some blocking schemes can be. This isn't high school where it's "you block anybody lined up head up or outside shouler." You have certain footwork, hand placement, leverage, chip and release, zone schemes, man/slant schemes, etc. All very different than 3 or 4 point stance and scoop, drive, or cut. On top of that you have D1 power 5 level DL across from you running shifts and more complex stunts than you will see at most high schools. Defense rarely stunts when defending the 3O so most these guys haven't seen much of that at least not lately.
I think this is both true and false.

It is true that the kinds of pass blocking schemes we are now learning to use are complicated. Our OL is getting better, but it will take awhile and, probably, some new players to see more efficient performance. I expect most of the present OL (+ injured players) will start next year and the year of game experience and new players will help. It is false when it comes to spread option blocking schemes. The single most complicated position on the team for the last 11 years was the OL. The reason for that is simple; blocking assignments would change on the fly during games for the same play. This made for some interesting work during the games themselves. Some here were always complaining about how Paul would bellyache about OL performance and then, predictably, blame Sewak. This was usually because of changes in blocking calls that OLs would miss during games.

Finally, it is completely false about stunting. First, we blocked pretty well against many stunts - especially against VT, btw - because stunting created option opportunities and, if repeated, were counterproductive. This had little to do with the complexity of the stunts or the quality of the D and everything to do with the scheme we were running. Did that stop opposing Ds from trying? Why, no. The stunts we faced were actually more complex then those we face now because the shifts took place right before the snap and were calculated to confuse the initial blocking assignments. Now that we are spending a lot of time pushing-and-dancing on OL it is easier to stunt, not harder. The reason some teams didn't stunt very much against the spread option was, again, because it creates option opportunities. The old adage is true; every play in the spread option except a straight dive was calculated to go for a long gain if correctly blocked. That meant that if you got caught in a stunt, you usually paid for it. Opposing Ds found ways to stunt anyway because that sometimes worked and, given the way the old O operated, you had to try to stop it before it got to 3rd and 3 or you might not stop it at all.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Honest question for you. You’ve been consistent in saying we need to execute better and that the scheme isn’t the problem. That said, we are witnessing an historically bad offense for Tech. Do you honestly put no blame on the OC? Do you think no matter who the OC was we’d be this bad?

This bad? Maybe not. But the problem is how bad we are this year, whether it's a flaming garbage pile or a smoldering garbage pile, doesn't really matter. It was going to be bad regardless, and once we decided to go away from the triple option it was going to be very bad regardless. There also isn't really a one to one correlation between getting results with pieces that don't fit and getting results with pieces that do. Some coaches excel at getting the most out of players that don't fit, but then don't maximize the talent of those that do. Others are the opposite and do best when they have the right pieces and really get thrown off when they don't.

Maybe PNut isn't the guy, but that shouldn't be determined by how well he can try to get a bunch of option players to play a different system behind a makeshift offensive line and a freshman QB because ultimately, that's not the skill that our OC needs, and some people need to learn that there isn't always a magical button a coach can push to address the issues. Sometimes the problems are going to be the problems the entire year no matter what you do, and unfortunately we have a lot of those.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
This bad? Maybe not. But the problem is how bad we are this year, whether it's a flaming garbage pile or a smoldering garbage pile, doesn't really matter. It was going to be bad regardless, and once we decided to go away from the triple option it was going to be very bad regardless. There also isn't really a one to one correlation between getting results with pieces that don't fit and getting results with pieces that do. Some coaches excel at getting the most out of players that don't fit, but then don't maximize the talent of those that do. Others are the opposite and do best when they have the right pieces and really get thrown off when they don't.

Maybe PNut isn't the guy, but that shouldn't be determined by how well he can try to get a bunch of option players to play a different system behind a makeshift offensive line and a freshman QB because ultimately, that's not the skill that our OC needs, and some people need to learn that there isn't always a magical button a coach can push to address the issues. Sometimes the problems are going to be the problems the entire year no matter what you do, and unfortunately we have a lot of those.
I can agree with the second paragraph mostly.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Wish He would send Pat packing and bring in Gus after he’s fired for Associate HC and OC.
I bet Pnod would do well with Cam as well. Not seeing any QB development with any other QB under the guy. I bet the Nix kids looks the same in two years. I do believe he will be in hot water after Alabama (actually if Alabama) beats them with a back-up QB.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I bet Pnod would do well with Cam as well. Not seeing any QB development with any other QB under the guy. I bet the Nix kids looks the same in two years. I do believe he will be in hot water after Alabama (actually if Alabama) beats them with a back-up QB.
Nick Marshall alone speaks volumes to Gus Ability. We have a bunch of Nick Marshall’s right now.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
@GoGATech What’s weird to me is we look decent one game and completely clueless the next. As for styles of blocking many on here act like it’s such a foreign concept it takes years to master. C’mon, these guys are scholarship athletes. We have top notch coaches. They’ve been under new leadership since last December. In 11 months we should have the basics mastered.
My point exactly. IIRC, Graham ran an RPO offense in HS. We act like our O guys are dumb DWAGS. Our guys are smarter. They can learn quickly........IF properly taught. we moved the ball better against Clempsun, than we did against Temple and VT..........let that sink in.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Usually, walk-ons who get significant playing time are offered scholarships. Wonder if that will be the case in our present situation?

I dont see us having ships laying around. I think (with maybe one exception) thry will be used to build the roster by new recruits.

LibertyTurns

Banned
My point exactly. IIRC, Graham ran an RPO offense in HS. We act like our O guys are dumb DWAGS. Our guys are smarter. They can learn quickly........IF properly taught. we moved the ball better against Clempsun, than we did against Temple and VT..........let that sink in.
We were tired of the monotony of perennial 7-5 seasons & wanted great seasons occasionally even if it meant an occasional train wreck season. We got exactly what we clamored for but what we meant was we wanted sustained highs with occasional 9-4 mediocre seasons & no more 7-5’s much less worse.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Nick Marshall alone speaks volumes to Gus Ability. We have a bunch of Nick Marshall’s right now.
Ill buy that. Actually, I would say its his best job. Hated that we didnt get Nick when PJ was after him. I would argue that we dont have any Nick Marshall's though.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure Gus would be much better. He can't stick to his own formula - get a really athletic QB and use him as a runner a lot. Auburn's offense is terrible (all things considered).

Gus' offense this year is keeping Aubie out of the national title. That defense is stout.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well he must have don't a great job teaching Temple their defense. :) as for VT I got no reason other than P'nut vs Foster

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldn’t make any coaching changes until Dec 2020, and then only if 2020 looked awfully like 2019.

My pet theory this week on the offense is that Patenaude either didn’t or couldn’t decisively pick an offensive scheme. Part of me wonders if while he knows the individual plays, he hasn’t organized the plays into a comprehensive, coherent system. I always felt that way about Roof as the DC - that he knew all the plays, but never could settle on a unified system. IMO, that’s what made Bud Foster and CPJ so good. They knew how to turn a collection of plays into a proper, complete scheme.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach P would be the only one I can see , but then again two things
2 ) Collins and P'nut have a long history similar to one of cpjs early d coordinators . Will Collins be able to cut ties due to long history will.be interesting to see

Basically you're saying P'nut is Paul's Sewak. Not good. Prepare for painful times ahead.