Assistant Coaching changes in the off season ?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Does Key move on after looking toward the horizon a little more when the season is over?

Deleted member 2897

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2897

Does Key move on after looking toward the horizon a little more when the season is over?

We lost 4 of our top 7 OL from last year. Plus a couple of the others have been hurt too. He's about to get in several recruits that better fit our style. And hopefully we'll get some of these injured guys back. This would be exactly when I would not leave if I were him.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This is a talk you have after next year, when things are more established and you have a bigger sample size of what we can do with players acclimated to the system. Continuity is what you need right now. Folks need to chill. This is a process and if you can't stomach it, maybe look away and check back later.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Key has brought in a stable of OL players with commitments. Tashard has brought us Griffin and hopefully the Dalton rocket. What has Pnode done for recruiting? My guess is our one qb commit is all about Collins. Where are some big DL recruits? We sorely need a couple of big guys there.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Both of them would have their salaries paid for by the former school:cigar: so we should be able to afford them.
Here’s my follow-up question: would future job opportunities judge them for their turnaround with our offense? If that’s weighted heavily for future jobs, GT OC is actually a fairly attractive job. Ur starting point is bottom 10-20 in most offensive statistical categories.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I wrote this up for the thread on firing Dave Pataneude yesterday before it was deleted, but it still applies to this thread. You can't fairly judge any coach on this staff this year provided the injuries and large amount of inexperience in their schemes. Remember how those elements affected 2015? CPJ was a proven amazing OC and playcaller, but that offense was ranked 87th in offensive efficiency by FEI. It has yet to take into account the VT game and will definitely drop, but FEI also ranks GT's offensive efficiency this year at 87th. Firing anyone at this point would do a lot more damage to the program long-term in regards to player development, severed recruiting relationships, and finances than by just letting them work at least through the end of next season.

Think about this practically. Let's say we fire Dave Pataneude and put up the job application for OC. CDP gets paid a pretty measly $400k (by coordinator standards) and we're not likely to raise that salary a cent after we tack on CDP's buyout money to our existing debt. We also have an offensive roster made up of players recruited to a specific offensive system that have proven to struggle mightily at executing something non-flexbone. Here's the question: what OC is better than CDP that will want to inherit these players, get paid peanuts compared to his peers, and know that he has practically no job security when the last guy got fired after one season? There is nobody crazy enough to take that job. The only logical ending in this scenario I can see would be promoting Brent Key to OC, and we know how that worked out last time.

There's also no guarantee that who you get next will be even marginally better either and there's the risk they could be worse. Take a look at Les Miles firing his OC mid-season and how they've put up 2 of their worst offensive performances the last two weeks. Let things play out. Have some patience. We're not a school with the capital that can play the quick turnover game.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Coach P would be the only one I can see , but then again two things
1) Year one with an under developed o line , coach talked a while back about how as the offense develops the more plays they can introduce , especially the qb position
2 ) Collins and P'nut have a long history similar to one of cpjs early d coordinators . Will Collins be able to cut ties due to long history will.be interesting to see

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly......

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I wrote this up for the thread on firing Dave Pataneude yesterday before it was deleted, but it still applies to this thread. You can't fairly judge any coach on this staff this year provided the injuries and large amount of inexperience in their schemes. Remember how those elements affected 2015? CPJ was a proven amazing OC and playcaller, but that offense was ranked 87th in offensive efficiency by FEI. It has yet to take into account the VT game and will definitely drop, but FEI also ranks GT's offensive efficiency this year at 87th. Firing anyone at this point would do a lot more damage to the program long-term in regards to player development, severed recruiting relationships, and finances than by just letting them work at least through the end of next season.

Think about this practically. Let's say we fire Dave Pataneude and put up the job application for OC. CDP gets paid a pretty measly $400k (by coordinator standards) and we're not likely to raise that salary a cent after we tack on CDP's buyout money to our existing debt. We also have an offensive roster made up of players recruited to a specific offensive system that have proven to struggle mightily at executing something non-flexbone. Here's the question: what OC is better than CDP that will want to inherit these players, get paid peanuts compared to his peers, and know that he has practically no job security when the last guy got fired after one season? There is nobody crazy enough to take that job. The only logical ending in this scenario I can see would be promoting Brent Key to OC, and we know how that worked out last time.

There's also no guarantee that who you get next will be even marginally better either and there's the risk they could be worse. Take a look at Les Miles firing his OC mid-season and how they've put up 2 of their worst offensive performances the last two weeks. Let things play out. Have some patience. We're not a school with the capital that can play the quick turnover game.
Great post ! I am thinking the same.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
The fact that this thread even exists is mind boggling. To give ANYONE less than 3 years in a new environment is asinine regardless of the outcome. In our case four years is likely the minimum before significant results are produced given the offense we are coming from.
Just a question ......don't read too much into it. I personally think Pnut will need all 4 & 5 stars on O to move the needle. High schools are showing better play calling on offense than we have seen so far. Talent is one thing, assessing and using what you do have is another.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just a question ......don't read too much into it. I personally think Pnut will need all 4 & 5 stars on O to move the needle. High schools are showing better play calling on offense than we have seen so far. Talent is one thing, assessing and using what you do have is another.
So I know you said not to read too much into this ;

So I have a question do you just not like all 5 plays or the order he calls them ?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Too early. And even if it wasn’t too early, I doubt we see any big changes. If he does, it will be an indictment on him. We have been hearing since he started that this was the most massive transformation in history. If he goes and makes a coaching change seems to suggest there were other issues.
This hits the nail on the head.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow

Do you honestly think he didn't know what he was getting himself into before he came aboard? That would say more about him than it would anything else that people are trying to spin on here.

Hmmm, some people expecting to make orange juice out of collard greens are looking in the wrong place. Did I do that right?

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow

The bigger question would be who the heck would be incompetently stupid enough to step into an OC situation such as you describe, without negotiating some very expensive buyout terms that probably outweigh any benefits of the new hire, no matter who it is?