Article Says BEST CASE Scenario Is 5-7

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

But that’s not taking a swipe at anybody. He was trying to keep people invested and engaged. So to be clear you’re now agreeing that he wasn’t taking a swipe at anyone, you just don’t like his style.

So what was the point then?

The point was what a couple people like you just got done contending - that he never took negative swipes at his predecessor. That is demonstrably false.

Deleted member 2897

Still waiting for someone to point one out. So far I see some think it was unbecoming. How is that taking a swipe?

We already gave you a list of several. You then admitted it by asking “but weren’t his statements accurate?” Give it up. 🤣

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is arguing about whether or not it is true. 🤣
So telling the truth is a swipe? Interesting concept. Seems we often complain that coaches just talk coach speak and don't say anything. You take telling the truth as swipes. That's your choice. I don't see it as a swipe and I was a big CPJ fan. Go check his comments when he took over Navy. When huge changes are being made coaches will talk about the necessity to make the change over and over, it's what coaches do.

Deleted member 2897

So telling the truth is a swipe? Interesting concept. Seems we often complain that coaches just talk coach speak and don't say anything. You take telling the truth as swipes. That's your choice. I don't see it as a swipe and I was a big CPJ fan. Go check his comments when he took over Navy. When huge changes are being made coaches will talk about the necessity to make the change over and over, it's what coaches do.

Yes - you could tell me that sometimes I am a real jerk, and that would be both taking a negative swipe at me and being accurate. It is not that complicated. 🤣🤣🤣

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So you are saying CGC thought we were all so dumb he had to repeat it every single time he spoke publicly. I got the first time. The dozens and dozens of times after that was like an obsession and unbecoming.
You forget that as fans we listen to everything he has to say, whenever he says it. Most people only occasionally hear what he has to say. So, yes, he does have to continuously say it so that EVERYONE he's trying to reach hears it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The point was what a couple people like you just got done contending - that he never took negative swipes at his predecessor. That is demonstrably false.
That's your opinion. Pointing out that the program needed to be overhauled isn't taking negative swipes. It's stating a fact. You can construe it any way you want, but that doesn't mean it was a swipe at the previous regime.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We already gave you a list of several. You then admitted it by asking “but weren’t his statements accurate?” Give it up. 🤣
Stating facts is not taking a swipe. The point is that they weren't swipes. They were honest assessments of what he saw in front of him. I think he generally went out of his way to not knock the previous coaching staff. He never said negative things about individual kids nor coaches.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Yes - you could tell me that sometimes I am a real jerk, and that would be both taking a negative swipe at me and being accurate. It is not that complicated. 🤣🤣🤣
Don’t actually remember CGC saying anything negative about Paul. He’s been pretty complementary. Saying that we are changing our system, need different kinds of players and are having to change things up to play a new style isn't taking a swipe at anybody. It’s stating facts. Unless you are really, really sensitive. OTOH saying you are a jerk, if I said that, could be true and a swipe, because it’s directed at you.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Tell me a coach who made that big of a change ? And no, I do mean CPJ. He at least had a defense to bank on.
Good Lord, I get it. This was the biggest transition in the history of football, as he told us over and over. No one else ever inherited such a poor state of affairs. No one else ever had to put up with what he did. No other coach ever carried as huge a burden.

Look, I want him to do well. But even if this was the hardest job in the history of organized sports, as he let on, it is a little childish to repeat that over and over.

I don’t hold it against him. It’s just wearisome to me to keep that narrative going. That’s all.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
So you are saying CGC thought we were all so dumb he had to repeat it every single time he spoke publicly. I got the first time. The dozens and dozens of times after that was like an obsession and unbecoming.
It was repetitive for sure about the "huge transition" but like forensicjacket mentioned it's repetitive for fans who consume every ounce of GT content, for those who don't not as much. I live in Big 12 country and I'd say many coworkers and people who hear about GT still think of the triple option when they hear GT. That may seem ridiculous to fans who have heard the nonstop talk about transition but despite all of that talk it's still difficult to get that message out and change the brand.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
It's only the biggest transition because he chose an offense that is 180 degrees from his predecessor. He could have evolved into the offense that he prefers, but that would ensure a longer transition and possibly fewer wins over a 5 yr period. He chose to "run through the mine field" so to speak and shorten the transition. I have to say the offense is the transition that requires such different personnel. Defense, special teams, penalties, clock management, etc. should not be part of the "great transition".

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Truth would have been, "we have the players to be better than a 3 win team, but we choose to drastically change what we do (rip the band-aid off). Even then we are better then a 3 win team and should have never lost to the citadel"

Regarding defense, Collins inherited a pretty loaded secondary that was well regarded by many who keep track of teams. They were also pretty highly recruited and did fairly well the year before Collins. How do they look now? That can't also be a talent thing. They looked straight up lost at times over the past couple years.

Please also remind me who coaches the secondary.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It was repetitive for sure about the "huge transition" but like forensicjacket mentioned it's repetitive for fans who consume every ounce of GT content, for those who don't not as much. I live in Big 12 country and I'd say many coworkers and people who hear about GT still think of the triple option when they hear GT. That may seem ridiculous to fans who have heard the nonstop talk about transition but despite all of that talk it's still difficult to get that message out and change the brand.
You’re the second person who has mentioned that and I will consider that now as a possible explanation. Of course, those of us who do keep up more with Tech news should no longer have a reason to keep repeating that narrative.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Don’t actually remember CGC saying anything negative about Paul. He’s been pretty complementary. Saying that we are changing our system, need different kinds of players and are having to change things up to play a new style isn't taking a swipe at anybody. It’s stating facts. Unless you are really, really sensitive. OTOH saying you are a jerk, if I said that, could be true and a swipe, because it’s directed at you.
He never said anything specifically about Paul but here are a couple :

1. he talked about the players he inherited have never worked with a staff that knew how to prepare them for the NFL like this (or to be “elite” which we most certainly are not now)

2. he said “what have we had drafted in the last few years - a kicker ?

3. The constant talk about a need to change the culture. If you need to change the culture aren’t you by definition saying there was a problem (that kept you from being elite - again, which we are not)

directly confrontational ? Not so much. Passive aggressive ? Yep. Just talk about the fact that your changing the program. It’s a big change. We get it. But the guys he inherited did know how to play the game and overall we’re pretty good at it. Better than Citadel, Syracuse, and BC to be sure.