Article Says BEST CASE Scenario Is 5-7

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Was anything he said false?

Yes. He stated a very misleading number in regard to the average weight of the inherited OL, but it was deemed the "hyperbole" was OK since it was helping to establish the brand.

That being said, a lot of what he stated isn't so much "taking shots" as it's just not very tactful. At the end of the day, if he can build a program that wins ball games, I can excuse the lack of tact he has shown.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So you are saying CGC thought we were all so dumb he had to repeat it every single time he spoke publicly. I got the first time. The dozens and dozens of times after that was like an obsession and unbecoming.
How hard is it to understand that Collins is speaking to one audience - 14-18 year old male athletes. And yes, he needs to keep repeating it until all high school players know we don’t run the option anymore. Every movement and every word is for recruiting. He doesn’t have to care one bit about alumni (they aren’t going any where except the graveyard) and he doesn’t have to worry about the media since they all come from the UGA journalism school. It’s almost as if smart folks who post here still believe it’s the old days where the coach has to slap backs and suck up to the rich alum. Collins or any coach will keep his job if he wins. And lose his job (eventually) if he doesn’t. The alumni don’t matter. Collins has been in the SEC at 3 stops - Bama, Florida, and Miss St. as well as being at GT under O’Leary. You don’t have to be an aerospace engineer to know that the most important part of being a head college football coach is recruiting. GT finally has a coach who is attacking the most important ingredient.

As for all the talk of Collins slighting CPJ, I say good. Every successful coach does this. CPJ sure wasn’t shy when he took over. Nor was Meyer, Saban, O’Leary, Friedgen and any other coach who has a pair. Heck, when I retire I expect the next person to smile at me as I walk out the door and then erase me by the time I’m out of the parking lot. And not for nothing but Johnson is smiling on the inside because when it comes to his system he did the exact same thing as Collins is doing with his.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Tell me a coach who made that big of a change ? And no, I do mean CPJ. He at least had a defense to bank on.
In Southern’s first FBS year (2014), Willie Fritz won 9 games and a regular season conference championship for Southern while transitioning from the option. So, in the first year transitioning from the option, with literal FCS players, Fritz excelled with a team that had won 7 games the year prior as an FCS team.

Fritz is a very average FBS coach, and yet he made it work. If you think Collins went through the biggest transition in the history of college football, call me, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes. He stated a very misleading number in regard to the average weight of the inherited OL, but it was deemed the "hyperbole" was OK since it was helping to establish the brand.

That being said, a lot of what he stated isn't so much "taking shots" as it's just not very tactful. At the end of the day, if he can build a program that wins ball games, I can excuse the lack of tact he has shown.
Yeah, I remember the weight thing too. He repeated that one almost a half dozen times and when I added the weights on the rosters the math didn’t match what he said. Like you, I chalked it up to hyperbole which happens when you are selling something.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
How hard is it to understand that Collins is speaking to one audience - 14-18 year old male athletes. And yes, he needs to keep repeating it until all high school players know we don’t run the option anymore. Every movement and every word is for recruiting. He doesn’t have to care one bit about alumni (they aren’t going any where except the graveyard) and he doesn’t have to worry about the media since they all come from the UGA journalism school. It’s almost as if smart folks who post here still believe it’s the old days where the coach has to slap backs and suck up to the rich alum. Collins or any coach will keep his job if he wins. And lose his job (eventually) if he doesn’t. The alumni don’t matter. Collins has been in the SEC at 3 stops - Bama, Florida, and Miss St. as well as being at GT under O’Leary. You don’t have to be an aerospace engineer to know that the most important part of being a head college football coach is recruiting. GT finally has a coach who is attacking the most important ingredient.

As for all the talk of Collins slighting CPJ, I say good. Every successful coach does this. CPJ sure wasn’t shy when he took over. Nor was Meyer, Saban, O’Leary, Friedgen and any other coach who has a pair. Heck, when I retire I expect the next person to smile at me as I walk out the door and then erase me by the time I’m out of the parking lot. And not for nothing but Johnson is smiling on the inside because when it comes to his system he did the exact same thing as Collins is doing with his.
This is nonsense. Collins knows the media matters and he he much better with the media than his predecessor. He doesn't bring a bunch of gifts and swag to the Packer and Durham show and stay for a whole morning if he doesn't think they matter. He doesn't go on 680 the fan and bring them all their own personalized jerseys if he thinks they don't matter. Likewise, there is no coach that thinks fans and alumni don't matter. That is complete nonsense. There are no sports and there is no money without fans and alumni.

To Collins credit I think he knows he laid it on a bit too thick in year one. Either someone had a conversation with him or he figured it out for himself. His messaging in year two seemed to be more positive most of the time.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Man, there’s a lot of sensitivity going on right now. It’s not impossible to have loved coach Johnson, while also feeling that it was time for a change, just like Paul himself felt. We will all be better off once we get behind the program as it currently stands rather than griping about the past.
This isn't going away until we start winning. Here's hoping for a good year.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
This isn't going away until we start winning. Here's hoping for a good year.
Fans constantly want to make this comparison between Paul and Geoff. Paul knew it was time to step down, and he did that. I don’t know why it’s still being argued and discussed to this day. Paul gave up the reigns because he knew it was the right time, and Geoff was the one chosen to take over. As fans we should be behind the program 100% right now. The wins will come and the progress is very apparent in the recruiting/portal. I just hope a lot of our fans stick through this transition, because I really believe we will be better off on the long term. The wins will come, and the process is well underway as evidenced by the current roster and the incoming recruits.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Fans constantly want to make this comparison between Paul and Geoff. Paul knew it was time to step down, and he did that. I don’t know why it’s still being argued and discussed to this day. Paul gave up the reigns because he knew it was the right time, and Geoff was the one chosen to take over. As fans we should be behind the program 100% right now. The wins will come and the progress is very apparent in the recruiting/portal. I just hope a lot of our fans stick through this transition, because I really believe we will be better off on the long term. The wins will come, and the process is well underway as evidenced by the current roster and the incoming recruits.
The comparison in this thread was sparked by what happens many times. Someone comes in and says they don't care about wins and losses and that they understand how awful the situation was and that they know its going to take many years to get us back to competitive football. Others respond in disagreement and we get the same back and forth we always get. Until we win and the "we can't possibly win because the previous regime left us in shambles" argument fades away, we are going to keep having the same arguments. Like I said. Hopefully we start winning this year, although oddly, some of Collins biggest supporters seem hell bent on convincing us that that can't happen.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
He never said anything specifically about Paul but here are a couple :

1. he talked about the players he inherited have never worked with a staff that knew how to prepare them for the NFL like this (or to be “elite” which we most certainly are not now)

2. he said “what have we had drafted in the last few years - a kicker ?

3. The constant talk about a need to change the culture. If you need to change the culture aren’t you by definition saying there was a problem (that kept you from being elite - again, which we are not)

directly confrontational ? Not so much. Passive aggressive ? Yep. Just talk about the fact that your changing the program. It’s a big change. We get it. But the guys he inherited did know how to play the game and overall we’re pretty good at it. Better than Citadel, Syracuse, and BC to be sure.
You are missing the key point on culture. CGC wants to tap heavily into the metro Atlanta talent pool of highly regarded HS football players. Very few ever considered GT under the system CPJ ran. That required a massive culture change on how the football program operated. Repetition was necessary to get the attention of HS Coaches, players and their parents that GT was a place for these athletes. By the way it has worked.

As to only having a kicker drafted, we’ll that is a true statement. If you want elite HS athletes who aspire to play in the NFL then you need to convince them GT had changed how it’s football program operated.

Basically CGC hyped GT as much and as loud as he can at any opportunity. That’s a huge change and runs counter to the ultra conservative nature of traditional GT fans who are mostly older individuals.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Others respond in disagreement and we get the same back and forth we always get. Until we win and the "we can't possibly win because the previous regime left us in shambles" argument fades away, we are going to keep having the same arguments. Like I said. Hopefully we start winning this year, although oddly, some of Collins biggest supporters seem hell bent on convincing us that that can't happen.

You left out another option - the arguments dissappear simply because we don't win. I have supported him as I felt like he truly was going to need a couple of years due to all factors rehashed time and again. But at some point (the exact number is also a bone of contention) we will have data and not speculation. I am rooting for him to be successful just as I do all of our coaches. Not because of who they are per se but because I want their teams to succeed.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He's been absolutely straightforward.
That's flat out not true, there are multiple threads on this forum where people called him out for unnecessarily lying about stuff in his first year, and the general response of those blinded by their blue painted glasses was "don't worry about it, he's not talking to us, its for the recruits".

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That's flat out not true, there are multiple threads on this forum where people called him out for unnecessarily lying about stuff in his first year, and the general response of those blinded by their blue painted glasses was "don't worry about it, he's not talking to us, its for the recruits".
I believe you should explicitly define what you mean by "lie" and share some examples. I am fine with unwarranted optimism.

Also, having been called out by someone on this forum is not proof (or disproof) anything.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
It's only the biggest transition because he chose an offense that is 180 degrees from his predecessor. He could have evolved into the offense that he prefers, but that would ensure a longer transition and possibly fewer wins over a 5 yr period. He chose to "run through the mine field" so to speak and shorten the transition. I have to say the offense is the transition that requires such different personnel. Defense, special teams, penalties, clock management, etc. should not be part of the "great transition".
I agree with this but part of the reason he was hired was specifically to change the offense. On the defensive side we’ve been bad for year’s precisely because we didn’t have the players needed.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Lying? Some examples would be interesting to read. I’m a retired military guy. You talked about the old guy for 5 mins thanking him for his great service and all the wonderful things he did. You wish him well and move along. If the old guy got fired, maybe he got talked about for a day. The minute you take over, you own it. 100%, warts and all. Excuses are like.... Show me what you can do.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
In Southern’s first FBS year (2014), Willie Fritz won 9 games and a regular season conference championship for Southern while transitioning from the option. So, in the first year transitioning from the option, with literal FCS players, Fritz excelled with a team that had won 7 games the year prior as an FCS team.

Fritz is a very average FBS coach, and yet he made it work. If you think Collins went through the biggest transition in the history of college football, call me, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.
Yes. and look at his schedule that year. Enough said. Try again.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Disagree. You show me where he wasn't straightforward in his messaging.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
We will have to agree to disagree. I never heard a coach changing a system talk the way he did.

I still support him.

Many ways of doing it, but CGC was well familiar with the negative perceptions surrounding the program and CPJs offense. And he knew that doing a 180 in scheme was going to lead to at least one really bad season. So I think he effectively did his PR job without ruffling feathers too badly. Now, we could have done a 90 degree turn and had more success in the beginning, but of course that also means the transition takes longer. Right now, we're seeing how quickly the roster can turn over. Now it's about building experience and depth. So we'll get a chance to see in the next few years if CGC and company can coach effectively.

I am more bothered by the hyperbole in size of inherited linemen, glory of the program under O'Leary, etc. But the media hasn't challenged the narrative, so I guess it works in our favor for the kids and HS coaches out there.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Like when he said Temple had one the of most dominant front seven in all fbs lol (when we got beat by Temple his first year).

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I believe you should explicitly define what you mean by "lie" and share some examples. I am fine with unwarranted optimism.

Also, having been called out by someone on this forum is not proof (or disproof) anything.
One example has already been mentioned of him lying about linemen's weights. That's not unwarranted optimism, that's making stuff up to make yourself sound better.

@forensicbuzz look it up yourself, you are a big boy and were here when it all happened. I'm sure you'll just tighten down your blinders no matter what evidence you are presented with.