Article Says BEST CASE Scenario Is 5-7

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
One example has already been mentioned of him lying about linemen's weights. That's not unwarranted optimism, that's making stuff up to make yourself sound better.

@forensicbuzz look it up yourself, you are a big boy and were here when it all happened. I'm sure you'll just tighten down your blinders no matter what evidence you are presented with.
Which players were in the calculations? Remember that part of the discussion? Walk-ons could count, actual weights versus posted weights? Pre-season versus end of season. None of us has any idea what the actual number was yet you decide it’s a lie. Sounds like a you issue to me.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Which players were in the calculations? Remember that part of the discussion? Walk-ons could count, actual weights versus posted weights? Pre-season versus end of season. None of us has any idea what the actual number was yet you decide it’s a lie. Sounds like a you issue to me.

I think it might be possible to come up with the numbers he cites. Lie is probably not accurate. Although it is intentionally misleading.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I think it might be possible to come up with the numbers he cites. Lie is probably not accurate. Although it is intentionally misleading.
I don’t remember anyone actually coming up with the names or weights back when this first came up. Plus all we know are posted weights. We all know those are often not accurate. Whether it was hyperbole or what there is no way to be sure.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is nonsense. Collins knows the media matters and he he much better with the media than his predecessor. He doesn't bring a bunch of gifts and swag to the Packer and Durham show and stay for a whole morning if he doesn't think they matter. He doesn't go on 680 the fan and bring them all their own personalized jerseys if he thinks they don't matter. Likewise, there is no coach that thinks fans and alumni don't matter. That is complete nonsense. There are no sports and there is no money without fans and alumni.

To Collins credit I think he knows he laid it on a bit too thick in year one. Either someone had a conversation with him or he figured it out for himself. His messaging in year two seemed to be more positive most of the time.
You are right. I should have said ”local press”. Collins has been very savvy so far and the local media have played nice so far. Bit don’t think for a second they aren’t waiting to pounce on the GT coach. The minute he missteps they’ll be all over him (I’ve seen it for decades). But I disagree about fans and alumni. They simply don’t matter in this day and age because they are predictable. To say without them there are no sports is correct but that doesn’t mean they matter. GT is 18-28 over the last 4 years. And we still have fans buying tickets and the games are still being televised, right? GT is still bringing in TV money right? Collins just won 3 games each in 2 years and he wasn’t fired, right? Point is, as any team starts winning the stadium fills up and when they lose the stadium empties. Whether the coach is out there slapping backs doesn’t matter anymore. If a coach wins he’ll keep his job, period. If he loses he’ll eventually lose his job no matter how alumni/fan friendly he is. Look at Bobby Cremins. He was our guy and loved. And we still sent him out the door because he stopped winning. Collins has one mission - win games. Anything other than recruiting and coaching is a waste of his time.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
You are right. I should have said ”local press”. Collins has been very savvy so far and the local media have played nice so far. Bit don’t think for a second they aren’t waiting to pounce on the GT coach. The minute he missteps they’ll be all over him (I’ve seen it for decades). But I disagree about fans and alumni. They simply don’t matter in this day and age because they are predictable. To say without them there are no sports is correct but that doesn’t mean they matter. GT is 18-28 over the last 4 years. And we still have fans buying tickets and the games are still being televised, right? GT is still bringing in TV money right? Collins just won 3 games each in 2 years and he wasn’t fired, right? Point is, as any team starts winning the stadium fills up and when they lose the stadium empties. Whether the coach is out there slapping backs doesn’t matter anymore. If a coach wins he’ll keep his job, period. If he loses he’ll eventually lose his job no matter how alumni/fan friendly he is. Look at Bobby Cremins. He was our guy and loved. And we still sent him out the door because he stopped winning. Collins has one mission - win games. Anything other than recruiting and coaching is a waste of his time.
We sent Bobby out the door?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Lying? Some examples would be interesting to read. I’m a retired military guy. You talked about the old guy for 5 mins thanking him for his great service and all the wonderful things he did. You wish him well and move along. If the old guy got fired, maybe he got talked about for a day. The minute you take over, you own it. 100%, warts and all. Excuses are like.... Show me what you can do.
I am afraid that is pretty much the one commonality across all college football programs...the coach owns it 100% warts and all. Ask Ray Perkins, Bill Battle, Ron Zook, and whoever the poor soul was that replaced Woody Hayes, the fans don't care about the problems you uncover because you are supposed to fix it...like right now. IIWII

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
When you talk about weights you have to consider that a lot of players actually lose weight during the season. So if you have a 300lb lineman he could very well be 285-290 by the end if the season. So while we may be looking at listed weights he may have been referring to actual weights. Add in walk ons and I can see where he could get that number.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Intentionally misleading is a lie. Personally I think it was just hyperbole to make a point.

IMO, based on a conversation I had with a pretty good sized donor, CGC was given "marching orders" to run a very different style of program here based on recruiting the same kinds of players uga and Clemson are recruiting, hence the constant seeming digs at the previous regime during the first year. As someone noted above, he has stopped with a lot of the more negative comments, so let's just let it rest. It's his program now, and we will see in the next 2-3 years how good we can be.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
In Southern’s first FBS year (2014), Willie Fritz won 9 games and a regular season conference championship for Southern while transitioning from the option. So, in the first year transitioning from the option, with literal FCS players, Fritz excelled with a team that had won 7 games the year prior as an FCS team.

Fritz is a very average FBS coach, and yet he made it work. If you think Collins went through the biggest transition in the history of college football, call me, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.
Fritz just run the same veer concepts out of thebpistol and gun. He didnt really change the oline

Deleted member 2897

This thread started as a discussion about the football team's prospects for the next season. Its devolution into a debate about the truthfulness of our coach has to end. Thanks.

Thank you for the butthurt redirect. As a reminder, they said the best possible scenario for us this year was only 5 wins and it was the worst in the entire ACC. There should be enough butthurt discussing this that we don’t need to widen the butthurt cast net into coaching, uniform colors, or anything else.

Intentionally misleading is a lie. Personally I think it was just hyperbole to make a point.

IMO, based on a conversation I had with a pretty good sized donor, CGC was given "marching orders" to run a very different style of program here based on recruiting the same kinds of players uga and Clemson are recruiting, hence the constant seeming digs at the previous regime during the first year. As someone noted above, he has stopped with a lot of the more negative comments, so let's just let it rest. It's his program now, and we will see in the next 2-3 years how good we can be.
And You are correct. I have received the same info. But I was told that this was an experiment to see if we could. My person told me that they still realize we can't go after all the same kids due to academics and were worried that we may get back to something similar to the Gailey years. But it is what it is.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
And You are correct. I have received the same info. But I was told that this was an experiment to see if we could. My person told me that they still realize we can't go after all the same kids due to academics and were worried that we may get back to something similar to the Gailey years. But it is what it is.
You know Gailey was not that bad of a coach just was not a college coach ( he got off on the wrong foot with some fans after being named as head coach and not coming till after the NFL season ended which was after signing day )

You know Gailey was not that bad of a coach just was not a college coach ( he got off on the wrong foot with some fans after being named as head coach and not coming till after the NFL season ended which was after signing day )
No he wasn't but his plus was having Tenuta. My point being in total though that Gailey never broke past the 7 win mantra. Yes he had one season in 2006 with 9 wins. And he never beat UGA.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
No he wasn't but his plus was having Tenuta. My point being in total though that Gailey never broke past the 7 win mantra. Yes he had one season in 2006 with 9 wins. And he never beat UGA.
That was due to his pro mindset of playing field position and winning with a FG. He had better talent that showed because he held us back with his approach.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
That was due to his pro mindset of playing field position and winning with a FG. He had better talent that showed because he held us back with his approach.
True. Butch Jones also comes to mind. Recruited plenty of talent, but never really did anything with it.